Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2018, 10:46 AM   #41

22+ miles everyday to work and back...plus any errands.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 10:57 AM   #42

I guess if you have one of these newer Very Nice Trucks,,,
You better hook up a Battery Tender,,, if you are going to let it set !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 12:09 PM   #43
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Or drive it a couple of times per week...
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 01:09 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
Or drive it a couple of times per week...
Very true John,,, but you do no have salty roads in AZ

!!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 01:22 PM   #45

Quote:
Son parks his 2018 2500HD Diesel in garage in November and doesn't move it till April. Did it last year...no starting, no tender, Jumped in in April, fired it up and drove it.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 01:22 PM   #46
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Very true John,,, but you do no have salty roads in AZ

!!!
But we do have very salty water!

I lived in southern Michigan for 33 of my 58 years (born and raised in Jackson).

I just looked at it as part of the equation...

You live in Michigan...you have vehicles...you drive them!

Even in Colorado for the last 26 years they started mixing salt in with the dirt in the winter.

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 01:34 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
Battery maintainer needs to draw power from somewhere. No plugins at the airport I can find nor at my storage yard. But if power is available use it.

Vehicle "learning" phase completes rapidly and this device is not an everyday use item.

Will work on any battery but an external battery disconnect switch is much more convenient. Several campers have them as standard equipment but they're easy to add. Marine (boat) battery switches are inexpensive and weatherproof. Put it on the ground wire to the camper frame and cut all power.

-- Chuck
I just had my wife stranded at the airport after parking her 2015 Subaru Outback Limited (with all the electronic bells and whistles) with a dead battery that was less than a year old. Temps were mild at PDX. The battery was even a higher capacity than OEM Duracell branded. I'm afraid a device like this would make it impossible to open the vehicle and therefore the hood to re-enable the battery. She does have an emergency key in the fob, so I guess that would work. It's a push button start with no ignition key.

2019 FR Cherokee Wolf Pack 24pack14+
2019 Ford F250SD 4 x 4, 6.2L
2015 DL1000A ADV
2017 DR-Z400 SM
2thdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 08:22 AM   #48

My tow vehicle is now in storage and as I have done for the pat 11 years its covered and it will sit till April I may start it one time all winter if it gets below 0 for a long rime if not I don't worry about. Its always started right up in the spring. Only one years it did not start the battery was the factory one so I got a battery from interstate battery what you call a blem for $40.00 and its still going strong
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 08:28 AM   #49

My TV is a 2012 Nissan Armada Platinum. It is my daily use vehicle as well. The only time it sits, is when I'm on the Harley. That by the way is only during the summer.
hack522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 09:19 AM   #50

Reading through this thread I'm just baffled by the number of folks who only use their TV when pulling their RV. Makes no sense to me why you would pay that much $$$ for a vehicle you rarely use. Store it for the winter? Seems a waste.

We have three pickups that get driven regularly and often. And yes, one is used to pull our fiver, but it is also used as an everyday errand runner.

What we don't have a use for is a car, now that is a limited use vehicle. Liz is looking at SUVs lately, so we might have an addition.

Have a great vehicle? USE IT!!!! Then you don't have to worry about battery maintenance. Worried about salt? I lived in CO awhile. They have these car washes that will wash the underneath of your vehicle.

An all purpose vehicle is a terrible thing to waste
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 10:30 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Reading through this thread I'm just baffled by the number of folks who only use their TV when pulling their RV. Makes no sense to me why you would pay that much $$$ for a vehicle you rarely use. Store it for the winter? Seems a waste.

We have three pickups that get driven regularly and often. And yes, one is used to pull our fiver, but it is also used as an everyday errand runner.

What we don't have a use for is a car, now that is a limited use vehicle. Liz is looking at SUVs lately, so we might have an addition.

Have a great vehicle? USE IT!!!! Then you don't have to worry about battery maintenance. Worried about salt? I lived in CO awhile. They have these car washes that will wash the underneath of your vehicle.

An all purpose vehicle is a terrible thing to waste
To some it may seem to be a waste but when you live is snow followed by salt country its a waste to buy new all the time, My 2002 chev still looks like brand new no rust at all and will still last me for many years. Besides I not made of money to just lets it rust away and buy new all the time
Old 11-21-2018, 11:37 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareftn View Post
To some it may seem to be a waste but when you live is snow followed by salt country its a waste to buy new all the time, My 2002 chev still looks like brand new no rust at all and will still last me for many years. Besides I not made of money to just lets it rust away and buy new all the time
I understand the logic you employ in keeping your truck stored in the garage. I just don't agree with it, which is fine, we all have different thought processes. I also disagree with using your trucks year round causes you to buy new ones on a regular basis. Which is why our newest truck is a 2007.

One of my three pickups is a 1979 C10 that I bought new. It has over 300k on it (new engine 3 years ago). It spent about a third of it's life in the northern states with more months of snow and salt than warm weather. Still has the original paint/body but does have one rust spot in the bed where it bolts to the rear frame. So I will have to address that soon. My point being you can use your vehicles in any conditions with proper maint. I do remember NOT enjoying rinsing the salt and sand off with a pressure washer. That was before there were car washes everywhere. So you do have an excellent point in less maintenance.

Enjoy your 2002, sounds like a good one for years to come!!!! I do admit I truly enjoy older trucks that you can actually work on yourself
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 12:17 PM   #53

We have three vehicles that we use for various errands and trips I try to drive the 2015 RAM 2500 once a week or so when we aren't using it for camping or needing the bed to haul something in it sees about 4K-5K miles a year now.

My DW has a 2014 Ford Explorer that doesn't get many miles put on it since she retired two years ago maybe 2K a year now that we use for trips that don't warrant the RAM or give it some exercise from sitting in the garage.

I have a 2012 Mazda 3 that I use to commute 40 miles round trip to work in and it sits on weekends it sees about 10K-12K miles a year.
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X
Ejs4029 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 12:24 PM   #54

Quote:
Some times simple is better !!!
Can't disagree with that. I would have loved to keep my previous '02 Dodge 1500, but it just wasn't enough truck for us after 13 years.
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 02:02 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejs4029 View Post
We have three vehicles that we use for various errands and trips I try to drive the 2015 RAM 2500 once a week or so when we aren't using it for camping or needing the bed to haul something in it sees about 4K-5K miles a year now.

My DW has a 2014 Ford Explorer that doesn't get many miles put on it since she retired two years ago maybe 2K a year now that we use for trips that don't warrant the RAM or give it some exercise from sitting in the garage.

I have a 2012 Mazda 3 that I use to commute 40 miles round trip to work in and it sits on weekends it sees about 10K-12K miles a year.
I need a little commuter for the exact same duty! Hate putting the miles and burning the gas in the SD250!

2019 FR Cherokee Wolf Pack 24pack14+
2019 Ford F250SD 4 x 4, 6.2L
2015 DL1000A ADV
2017 DR-Z400 SM
2thdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 08:04 AM   #56

truck is in storage as it is every year my car is only driven on weekends its a Buick with only 38000 miles during the week I drive my western star if we need a car during the week we drive the wife's car, she is retired so her 1015 only has 17000 miles on it
Old 11-22-2018, 01:11 PM   #57

No. It sets inbetween uses anymore. I do use it for dragging an equipment trailer, or going to the store for bags of concrete etc., but other then that, it just sits.
It has sat as long as 6 months before. I'm thinking seriously about something like the smaller solar chargers shown earlier in this thread. It sets under cover, but the front end sees the morning sun.
katkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 01:20 PM   #58

Ours sits unless it is hauling or towing....it is cheaper to drive my Spark although it is definitely not as comfy [emoji594]
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 02:25 PM   #59

I'm also a CC SB 33IK owner in Augusta, GA...
mbbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 05:47 PM   #60
Trailer Park Supervisor

I'm glad I only needed a half-ton. I discovered the 2015 Ford F150 I just bought gets nearly 20 miles per gallon most of my trips around town, way better than my old Ram. But I still drive my old Honda Accord or Nissan Maxima most of the time, better mileage and cheaper tires.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow vehicle