Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2018, 11:24 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Can't beat those Motorcraft Battery's !!!
Hope you replaced it with Motorcraft !!!
You mean a Johnson Controls battery with a Motorcraft sticker on it. Could get the same battery from Interstate, O'Reilly Auto Parts and just about any other battery store. If not a Johnson Controls, it's most likely be an East Penn or Exide, again with just different labels. Considering that the label doesn't put out any power or make a battery last longer, that's the last reason I'd choose a battery.

Best indicator of a batteries longevity is the length of warranty. Nobody's going to put a long warranty on a cheap battery.

BTW, don't confuse automotive starting batteries with deep cycle batteries. Different animals and there are a lot more players in the deep cycle/industrial battery manufacturing business.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 11:36 AM   #82

2003 chevy 2500hd 6.0 gas 4x4 first 10 yrs only for Truck mounted camper used through summers and for hauling firewood for winter . now with xlr29hsf TH used full time for last 4 years .now 186xxx, miles tow across country every year from Fl to MT. and use as daily driver now . Truck is great though it's a gas guzzler i keep it in top shape , been though about every sensor , rebuilt transfer case because of pump wear, new exhaust headers[stock cracked] , installed performance headers this fall big improvement in towing torque , new brakes all around and rotors , second time for these , fan clutch twice , but all under parts warranty so free parts , labor i perform . new CV half axles last spring along with new front bearings , flush Tranny every year . new Michelin defender tires this fall . and plenty more but truck drives great very good ride for a 2500 , ranchero 9000 shocks replaced twice under the lifetime ranchero warranty . no rust and plan on keeping for at leat another couple years or more .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 11:48 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
2003 chevy 2500hd 6.0 gas

How many batteries have you replaced in the 15 years?

Old 11-29-2018, 12:31 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
How many batteries have you replaced in the 15 years?
on my 4th just replaced in june of 18 . can't remember when i replaced the stock battery , bought one from auto zone lasted untill 2014 then another from walmart lasted till june of 18 and now on fourth from napa . edited post to correct number of batteries
Old 12-01-2018, 08:37 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Your in Deep Due Due if they all run out of gas !!!

Tell me about it.......
Evidently the Queen does not get gas.
Mslaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:03 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
You mean a Johnson Controls battery with a Motorcraft sticker on it. Could get the same battery from Interstate, O'Reilly Auto Parts and just about any other battery store. If not a Johnson Controls, it's most likely be an East Penn or Exide, again with just different labels. Considering that the label doesn't put out any power or make a battery last longer, that's the last reason I'd choose a battery.

Best indicator of a batteries longevity is the length of warranty. Nobody's going to put a long warranty on a cheap battery.

BTW, don't confuse automotive starting batteries with deep cycle batteries. Different animals and there are a lot more players in the deep cycle/industrial battery manufacturing business.
No dough the Motorcraft & Interstate are probably the same battery,,,
they seam to cost the same,,, I have only had one interstate battery in my life,,, no complaints,,, Motorcraft have treated me very well !!!

Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 12:41 PM   #87

My F250 sits from Oct to Apr/May unused. (Never started it during her hibernation)

I change the oil, put the battery tender on, fill her up and use Stable then put her on jack stands and throw a truck over on.

Have done this every year, fires right up on the Spring...attach camper and away we go.

(Original battery from 2005 was replaced in 2018, not because it died, but was doing a 2000mile 1/2 cross country trip and thought it would be good preventative maintenance..replaced it with another Ford battery.)
kamper00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 01:05 PM   #88
Trailer Park Supervisor

kamper, that's what I do with my Corvette. But I don't take the weight off the wheels, all the Corvette forums say it's a bad idea. I do put 10 extra lbs. of air in each tire to help prevent flat spots, never had one yet.

This was what I read was the reason most guys do not put the vehicle up on stands for a prolonged period: "Haven't heard anything about the frame not liking it, but some say that the suspension isn't meant to hang for a long period of time and that it could be bad for shocks, springs and suspension bushings. I don't know if they're right, but I wouldn't store mine with the suspension hanging."
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 02:12 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
kamper, that's what I do with my Corvette. But I don't take the weight off the wheels, all the Corvette forums say it's a bad idea. I do put 10 extra lbs. of air in each tire to help prevent flat spots, never had one yet.

This was what I read was the reason most guys do not put the vehicle up on stands for a prolonged period: "Haven't heard anything about the frame not liking it, but some say that the suspension isn't meant to hang for a long period of time and that it could be bad for shocks, springs and suspension bushings. I don't know if they're right, but I wouldn't store mine with the suspension hanging."
Interesting about the tires...I keep them at 80psi (max) and had some flat spots, so now I put the truck on jack stands..maybe the results vary by brans and type...
kamper00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 02:20 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post

If the jack stands are placed at the points designated by the factory as jacking points (they're noted in the owner's manual) nothing is going to happen to the frame, springs, shocks, or bushings. Every one of those parts is designed to withstand forces far greater while driving down the highway than any force imparted on them with "wheels hanging",

Biggest cause of problems with cars that just sit without being driven for months or years at a time is that oil still needs to be changed at regular intervals. If you aren't getting the miles on for a mileage interval then it's best to follow the manufacturer's recommendation for time. Additives in oil designed to prevent corrosion from the normal contaminants introduced by running the engine only last so long and normally getting the oil warm by driving drives off moisture that can accumulate over time.

Old 12-02-2018, 02:28 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamper00 View Post
Interesting about the tires...I keep them at 80psi (max) and had some flat spots, so now I put the truck on jack stands..maybe the results vary by brans and type...
That's why i hear not to use LT tires instead of ST tires they develop flat spots from sitting for months at a time . i don't really know . my truck used to sit for months and never had issues but have heard from others they have .

Tags
tow vehicle