Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2016, 01:45 AM   #1

Jeep Cherokee death wobble

Hello , long time watcher, first time posting. I'm considering the purchase of a Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk 4x4 to use as a toad behind my Forester 3011DS. I've read about a wobble on some of the earlier model Cherokees. I inquired at the dealership, but of course, just got a blank stare back. Just a shot in the dark here but was just wondering if anyone on the forum knows if this problem has been addressed in the latest model or is it still an uncertain hit or miss?
J Oddone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 07:33 AM   #2

I have heard about some older ones having that and the problem is in the tracking bar bushings
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 07:38 AM   #3

A wobble in the '14 and newer?
rat4spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 11:30 AM   #4

I have had 4-wheel drive vehicles since 1973 and almost all of them at one time or another have had the dreaded steering wheel wobble. My full size Cherokee vehicles (2), my Ford Explore and my Ram pick-up truck. The only vehicle that did not have this problem was my 2001 Chevy pick-up truck with the ISF front end, which I hated.

The issue comes about due to the solid front axle design and the steering linkage design with the components wearing out. The fix can be as simple as replacing the steering stabilizer or can be as expensive, such as replacing all of the front axle ball joints and the trackbar tie-rod links. I have use both methods to eliminate the steering wobble on my vehicles.

Steering linkage wobble comes about a couple of ways; high mileage vehicle such as my Ram pick-up truck with over 100,000+ miles on the OD. Or extreme size off road tires. These over load the suspension components design criteria that was used in design the components for the front axle.

Now as to buying a new Jeep Cherokee for a tow vehicle behind your motor home, I would not hesitate at all.
Old 12-04-2016, 11:47 AM   #5

I had a 2014 Cherokee for almost 2 years. For the most part, it was a great "Jeep." I say "Jeep," because the purists hate it. It has nothing in common with the previous generation Cherokee. Never heard or read anything about a wobble.
rat4spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 11:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
I have had 4-wheel drive vehicles since 1973 and almost all of them at one time or another have had the dreaded steering wheel wobble. My full size Cherokee vehicles (2), my Ford Explore and my Ram pick-up truck. The only vehicle that did not have this problem was my 2001 Chevy pick-up truck with the ISF front end, which I hated.

The issue comes about due to the solid front axle design and the steering linkage design with the components wearing out. The fix can be as simple as replacing the steering stabilizer or can be as expensive, such as replacing all of the front axle ball joints and the trackbar tie-rod links. I have use both methods to eliminate the steering wobble on my vehicles.

Steering linkage wobble comes about a couple of ways; high mileage vehicle such as my Ram pick-up truck with over 100,000+ miles on the OD. Or extreme size off road tires. These over load the suspension components design criteria that was used in design the components for the front axle.

Now as to buying a new Jeep Cherokee for a tow vehicle behind your motor home, I would not hesitate at all.
x2

I still have a 98 5.9 grand cherokee. Never had the death wobble. One of my kids had a 94 5.2L grand cherokee. It developed it. I showed him the ball joints worn and toed(the alignment of the front tires) it in a bit to hide the problem until he replaced the parts. His had nearly 300k on the odometer.

My 5.9 has 220k on it.

I also have the 2014 grand cherokee, one amazing vehicle.
I wish all cars had auto braking systems and radar on all corners at it does. What a safer place it would be on the road.
Simplewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 01:43 PM   #7

cherokee death wobble

You can go to the IRV forum and they address this problem
Just purchased a 2015 jeep cherokee,then found out about the problem
The newer jeep cherokee and grand cherokee have electric power steering and the wiring harness needs to be changed. I just got a call this past week from the dealer saying that i needed to bring my cherokee in for a recall on a wiring harness. I plan to find out if this is the one that is suppose to cause the problem or not
the part number for the 2015 cherokee is 68321424aa and the price is about $125.00 plus tax and labor to install it
According to people at IRV this should take care of the problem
Mstrshop1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 01:49 PM   #8

2014 Trail Hawk

Over the years I've had 4 Jeep Grand Cherokee's. My toad and daily driver now is a 2014 Trail Hawk loaded 4x4. I think this is the best vehicle of all, my only regret is buying a white Trail Hawk to pull behind 2015 Palazzo 33.2 D/P.
46sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 04:01 PM   #9

If you get a Jeep Cherokee, you need to make sure it has Active Drive II transmission. That is the only way to get true neutral for either flat towing or using a Tow Dolly. Ours is a 2016 Cherokee and we use a tow dolly and never had any problems.
johnshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 04:29 PM   #10

My 95 had that wobble. Needed a new steering stabilizer. That solved the problem.
D-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 06:08 PM   #11

This problem was addressed in the January or February edition of Family Motor Coaching Magazine. It involves Cherokees with electronic power steering. They can develop a wobble in the front end while towing mostly on rougher roads. Jeep designed a circuit involving an under hood fuse holder and a switch mounted in the center console storage department that allows the power steering to be on while the main ignition is off. However, a warning came with this modification that says the vehicle battery can be drained in about three hours. An RV shop ran a line through a fuse holder from the cable from the RV to the Jeep for lights allowing 12 volts to prevent this power drain. Seems to be working fine but be careful with the switch in the console as it is easy to turn off accidentally.
First Mate = Xiangbing
Crew = Radar, NiuNiu & NaNa
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 06:17 PM   #12

Cherokee death wobble

I just bought 2017 Cherokee Trailhawk to flat tow behind motorhome. The trailhawk has the Active 2 which has the 2-speed power transfer unit that has a neutral which you need to flat tow. After purchase I look in manual and although they say it is towable behind RV's in advertisements the manual specifically states that you need the Mopar flat tow wiring kit to do so. Surprise!!!! The kit supplies power to the electronic steering which stabilizes the steering. Of coarse this drains your battery so you need a means to charge the battery while towing. As you say dealers and service people just stare at you when asked about this wobble problem. They told me the kit is not listed for 2017 so I must not need it. To make a very long story short. The best thing to do is call Jeep Cares. You can actually talk to a Mopar person that knows about this situation. They say it is an "accessory" of which you have to buy and also pay for installation. I figure around $400-500. Still not sure I need this. Mopar implies it is not needed. You get all kinds of stories from forums. I'm going to try without wiring kit as most people say they have towed thousands of mile with no problem. Good Luck

2018 Georgetown 369DS
2017 Cherokee Trailhawk
DAB2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 06:43 PM   #13

Thanks everyone for the information. It does seem that there is a lot of different takes on the problem which gives me reason for pause. I'm beginning to think I might look at the Wrangler Unlimited rather than the Cherokee. I haven't seen any reports of this problem on that model or am I just missing something?
J Oddone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 07:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Oddone View Post
Hello , long time watcher, first time posting. I'm considering the purchase of a Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk 4x4 to use as a toad behind my Forester 3011DS. I've read about a wobble on some of the earlier model Cherokees. I inquired at the dealership, but of course, just got a blank stare back. Just a shot in the dark here but was just wondering if anyone on the forum knows if this problem has been addressed in the latest model or is it still an uncertain hit or miss?
There is alot of info. out there about the Cherokee death wobble and after researching was reason enough for me to pass and go with a Wrangler. Some scarry utube videos also!
Your right, the dealer gives you a blank stare when asked about it and as far as I know, the fix is not standard even on the 2016's.
Yes you need the Active 2 trans., but the problem is with the electronic power steering. There is also a power drain problem leaving you with a dead battery each trip.
The Grand Cherokee, no problem but is alot heavier. Yes, disappointing Jeep would not make this towable with having to modify after purchase.
Granite17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 08:18 PM   #15

Jeep Cherokee #1, 207,000 never had any wobble
Cherokee #2 142,000, never any wobble
Wrangler 2.5 4 cyl (bought used) 127,000 miles, never any wobble
Explorer (bought used) sold right at 100,000 miles, never any wobble
Ford Excursion v10 4x4 bought new and went through two teenagers..143,000 miles no wobble.
I read about this death wobble, and I have some machines, that I wheeled pretty hard, pulling logs, just rough farm life etc.. and never had any issues with wobble at any speed.
Maybe it's the luck of the draw..Maybe I maintained them better than average i don't know.

Just seems like some of these newer vehicles are problematic for stupid reasons..
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 08:39 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
Jeep Cherokee #1, 207,000 never had any wobble
Cherokee #2 142,000, never any wobble
Wrangler 2.5 4 cyl (bought used) 127,000 miles, never any wobble
Explorer (bought used) sold right at 100,000 miles, never any wobble
Ford Excursion v10 4x4 bought new and went through two teenagers..143,000 miles no wobble.
I read about this death wobble, and I have some machines, that I wheeled pretty hard, pulling logs, just rough farm life etc.. and never had any issues with wobble at any speed.
Maybe it's the luck of the draw..Maybe I maintained them better than average i don't know.

Just seems like some of these newer vehicles are problematic for stupid reasons..
Your right, zero problems with the prior version Cherokee 's, the death wobble is only on the new model Cherokee, i want to
say 2014 to present.
Old 12-04-2016, 08:46 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Oddone View Post
Thanks everyone for the information. It does seem that there is a lot of different takes on the problem which gives me reason for pause. I'm beginning to think I might look at the Wrangler Unlimited rather than the Cherokee. I haven't seen any reports of this problem on that model or am I just missing something?
Wranglers flat tow with zero problems since
they still have a "real" nuetral disconnect for the trans. and transfer case.
Check out a Wrangler Unlimited Sahara, pretty decent ride and handling.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:03 PM   #18

Jeep Cherokee TSBs

Attached are the TSBs issued by FCA for the Death Wobble that happens on the 2014-2016 Jeep Cherokee only. The 02/2016 TSB clearly states that FCA will pay for the part and installation, but the 04/2016 revised TSB makes no mention of that. There is not a TSB for the 2017 Cherokees, but the following statement is in the 2017 Owner's Manual:
Before towing, See your authorized dealer for the Mopar flat tow wiring kit.
It is recommended to charge the battery of the towed vehicle during recreational towing.
This came from a post in another forum:
The "tow wiring kit" was developed as a result of an oversight regarding design of the Cherokee. Solenoids, controlled by the EPS computer do the job, but only when active with engine running. The Electronic Power Steering (EPS) system has no hydraulics (a hydraulic system would naturally damp any wobble tendency).
The software of the EPS computer contains a "wobble mitigation algorithm" which activates solenoids and other components so as to damp any wobble which may occur during "normal" driving. The purpose of the wiring kit is to activate EPS while the Cherokee is being towed, engine off, so the same damping would be in place.
I researched this issue extensively prior to purchasing my 2016 Cherokee and neither my salesman or service department knew about the issue. My parts are in and I am taking it to the dealer for installation tomorrow. I guess I will find out who pays for it then.

AL

TSB KL_08_022_16.pdf

TSB KL_08_029_16a.pdf
1997 F-350 CC PSD
BigHomey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 10:04 PM   #19

My Jeep dealer installed the modification designed and provided by Chrysler/Jeep without any charge. However, they would not do anything about the quick power drain. That I had done at an RV repair facility. Luckily the 12 volts was available at the receptacle on our RV and was being fed through the Blue Ox cable to their socket installed on the Jeep.
First Mate = Xiangbing
Crew = Radar, NiuNiu & NaNa
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 10:07 PM   #20

Have had two older model cherokees with 100k+ miles and a 3500 ram just under 100k miles. No death wobble on any of them even though they are all said to be vulnerable. I did get the wobble from my 79 Toyota pickup and an 87 Suzuki samurai. Point being I think you can get it on any vehicle. I have heard that usually large lift kits and extremely worn hardware can contribute to it. As long as the maintenance has been done, I wouldn't shy away from a good 4x4.

Tags
cherokee