Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 12:56 PM   #41
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I did at one time, but sold the Camino in 2000.
Do wish I still had it or the 72.
That's brilliant. I hadn't seen that before - the picture didn't show up in the app.

Neat stuff, OC.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:02 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineForestCamper View Post
To the OP...

I'd love to run the numbers on your combination. I shared my numbers with the group here when I purchased my current HTT. The overall conclusion was my 1/2 ton van would pull my new HTT but it would leave me slightly over a couple of ratings. That conversation here led me to purchase a different TV. I didnt want to be slightly over a couple ratings (RAWR, GVWR/TV) and at the max on others (GCWR).

I have taken my new TV & HTT to the scales a handful of times last summer. I learned a lot. It helped me fix a few things by telling me where all of my weight was and where it should go when loading. I reach my GVWR fast on my TV. Thats the downside to towing with a conversion van even if its a 3/4 ton.

I have tried to share what I know (not that much) with a man I work with and he didnt want that much information. He told me he looked at one number and one number only. The towing capacity. I asked him about the RAWR, GCWR, GVWR-TV? He said he's good on the tow capacity and thats all that matters to him. I let it go at that. I did get some more info about his TT and TV and was able to figure out that his 2004 Envoy has a GCWR of 10,000lbs and he will have a GCWR (minimum) of 13,000lbs. That's crazy to me and there is no way he cant feel that. But then he wanted a really big TT and didnt want to replace his TV.

I would encourage you to get to the scales and run all of those numbers for yourself. Not for others here but for you. The numbers will help tell you what you are feeling when you are towing. I decided that I wanted to know! I realized if I was hiding from the numbers I shouldnt be towing with my setup so I have weighed her up more than once. After doing so I can hit the road with confidence. Thats been worth every minute spent at the scales.

I also can honestly tell others "here" that ALL my numbers are good! My numbers really are good too but depending on my load they come close to some limits and thats exactly what I feel when I am towing. It's not just a number its my reality when towing. In the flat areas of MN it feels pretty good. But out west its not so easy and frankly I dont like that. I'd like some more power when pulling up those mountains and around home. I've got a 3/4 ton diesel pickup on my wish list.

So I'd encourage you to go to the scales and dig into those numbers. Do this for you. Nobody else. Figure out what your GCWR, RAWR, GVWR (TV and TT)? You'll learn a lot. I did. I dont have any regret learning what I have learned. It's taking a look at the reality of whats happening. Its knowledge. Its all good! Best wishes to you.

I'd love to do that. Understand one thing, my WDH was never set correctly from the dealer, so yeah the ride home was scary. I played with it & improved the ride, but it wasn't quite rite. After reading the instructions on proper measuring and adjustment of the WDH, now at least TV & TT sit level. Next week I'll take it for a spin. I'll post more afterwards.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:08 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ov845 View Post
I'd love to do that. Understand one thing, my WDH was never set correctly from the dealer, so yeah the ride home was scary. I played with it & improved the ride, but it wasn't quite rite. After reading the instructions on proper measuring and adjustment of the WDH, now at least TV & TT sit level. Next week I'll take it for a spin. I'll post more afterwards.
That's pretty bad when the dealer doesn't set the hitch up properly for maiden trips off the lot.

2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS Travel Trailer
2012 F150 EcoBoost (HD Payload & Max Tow)
Old 05-09-2014, 09:38 PM   #44
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doering View Post
That's pretty bad when the dealer doesn't set the hitch up properly for maiden trips off the lot.
My dealer has never set mine up correctly.(0 for 2 ) There in to big of a hurry. That and Im too anal about my set up anyway.

Zelda the campin dog
Old 05-09-2014, 09:46 PM   #45

My dealer didn't have my height correct. It was too close to the bed and was nose down, the way the parking lot is angled I wrote both off. When I got it home and checked it out, yeah. Fortunately all I had to do was raise the ball one hole.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
Old 05-09-2014, 09:48 PM   #46

My hitch wasn't set up correctly by the dealer either. A co-worker and I took it to a flat parking lot and got it set up correctly and it pulled at least twice as good as when I brought it home from the dealer.

I think it's common practice to get you out of the door quickly once the papers are signed so it's a good thing to research and learn on your own as soon as possible.

2011 F150 SuperCrew 5.0 4x4
2012 Flagstaff 27BESS
Old 05-09-2014, 11:45 PM   #47
Incheon, S. Korea

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineForestCamper View Post
To the OP...

I'd love to run the numbers on your combination. I shared my numbers with the group here when I purchased my current HTT. The overall conclusion was my 1/2 ton van would pull my new HTT but it would leave me slightly over a couple of ratings. That conversation here led me to purchase a different TV. I didnt want to be slightly over a couple ratings (RAWR, GVWR/TV) and at the max on others (GCWR).

I have taken my new TV & HTT to the scales a handful of times last summer. I learned a lot. It helped me fix a few things by telling me where all of my weight was and where it should go when loading. I reach my GVWR fast on my TV. Thats the downside to towing with a conversion van even if its a 3/4 ton.

I have tried to share what I know (not that much) with a man I work with and he didnt want that much information. He told me he looked at one number and one number only. The towing capacity. I asked him about the RAWR, GCWR, GVWR-TV? He said he's good on the tow capacity and thats all that matters to him. I let it go at that. I did get some more info about his TT and TV and was able to figure out that his 2004 Envoy has a GCWR of 10,000lbs and he will have a GCWR (minimum) of 13,000lbs. That's crazy to me and there is no way he cant feel that. But then he wanted a really big TT and didnt want to replace his TV.

I would encourage you to get to the scales and run all of those numbers for yourself. Not for others here but for you. The numbers will help tell you what you are feeling when you are towing. I decided that I wanted to know! I realized if I was hiding from the numbers I shouldnt be towing with my setup so I have weighed her up more than once. After doing so I can hit the road with confidence. Thats been worth every minute spent at the scales.

I also can honestly tell others "here" that ALL my numbers are good! My numbers really are good too but depending on my load they come close to some limits and thats exactly what I feel when I am towing. It's not just a number its my reality when towing. In the flat areas of MN it feels pretty good. But out west its not so easy and frankly I dont like that. I'd like some more power when pulling up those mountains and around home. I've got a 3/4 ton diesel pickup on my wish list.

So I'd encourage you to go to the scales and dig into those numbers. Do this for you. Nobody else. Figure out what your GCWR, RAWR, GVWR (TV and TT)? You'll learn a lot. I did. I dont have any regret learning what I have learned. It's taking a look at the reality of whats happening. Its knowledge. Its all good! Best wishes to you.
This is a very good response. I look at a class 7 or class 8 truck that pulls a trailer that is significantly longer and heavier than the truck pulling it and think if this is safe, why can't a shorter wheelbase vehicle be safe pulling a longer TT?
I also look at American trucks and think "why?" When Twisty got his truck it was the first time I realized that a full-size truck weighs almost 4 tons! That's nuts. (I still want one, though!)
If you look at the REST of the world, some places-like England-have much more stringent laws regarding towing. Combinations like the OPs are the norm.
The trailer that flipped in the video flipped because of crosswinds. It would have flipped regardless of the type of vehicle towing it.
IMO-The weight police should "speak up" if a combination is shooting its headlights into the sky, has overloaded tires, is grossly over its GCWR or RAWR, or other obviously dangerous conditions.
I look forward to seeing many posts about wonderful camping trips from ov845!
Old 05-10-2014, 04:41 AM   #48
Engineer of Crazy Train

To each their own. Lots of people look at me like I am crazy (well, I think they have something there) for towing my Roo with my Libby. Not that I am going to go any bigger, but if my trailer was slightly bigger (23 Roo instead of a 21), I would still tow it. Me personally, I wouldn't use the setup the OP has. But, as I said, to each their own. Good luck and drive safely.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
Old 05-10-2014, 03:02 PM   #49

Okay, today I decided to take the Jammer out for a spin in the area. The pic I posted was done after I made some adjustments. Now I parked it in a lot and noticed the front end of the trailer is higher then the back. My vehicle sits at 33" in the front and 33" in the rear (normally it's at 34") so I'm good there the ball height is all the way down on the 10" drop so I ordered a 12" drop. That should do it before I hit the road. All this should've been done by my dealer.
Old 05-10-2014, 04:06 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ov845 View Post
Okay, today I decided to take the Jammer out for a spin in the area. The pic I posted was done after I made some adjustments. Now I parked it in a lot and noticed the front end of the trailer is higher then the back. My vehicle sits at 33" in the front and 33" in the rear (normally it's at 34") so I'm good there the ball height is all the way down on the 10" drop so I ordered a 12" drop. That should do it before I hit the road. All this should've been done by my dealer.
You better be sure of your setup and have it dialed in correctly because you're surely overweight on payload and GVWR.

2011 F150 SuperCrew 5.0 4x4
2012 Flagstaff 27BESS
Old 05-10-2014, 07:52 PM   #51
Engineer of Crazy Train

You can drop 2 inches and get a 1 inch riser ball. But you would have to readjust. Also, dealers never adjust it right.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using the FRF mobile app.
Locomotive Engineer
Old 05-11-2014, 11:24 AM   #52
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam View Post
You better be sure of your setup and have it dialed in correctly because you're surely overweight on payload and GVWR.
Me think after a few road trips or one he will be trucking up,
It looks like white knuckle driving to me.
The shorter wheelbase has to be nice for backing up.

Zelda the campin dog
Old 05-11-2014, 12:11 PM   #53

Drive it, looks fine to me. Make sure its level, which you have add a sway bar or two two and if you find yourself in very windy conditions day slow down or wait it out, that's what I do with my 5ver. Most US state laws are based on fed bridge ratings so no RV outside the odd large class A motor coach will ever exceed axle loads. While the jeep has a smaller wheel base its a capable TV.

I tow my 37 BH SB with 2500 Mega Cab and I am under my rear axle rating by 200 lbs fully loaded and my front by 600 lbs. Insurance wise I can legally tow 2x my GVWR of 9000 lbs so I am 100% legal in Canada and the USA. One Caveat, British Columbia actually uses the door placard for weights. Its absolute crazy but they are self riotous province
Old 05-11-2014, 01:16 PM   #54
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
Me think after a few road trips or one he will be trucking up,
It looks like white knuckle driving to me.
The shorter wheelbase has to be nice for backing up.
The short wheelbase is really nice for maneuvering. I have to watch for cornering when making a tight turn, although I don't think it will happen when going forward.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using the FRF mobile app.
Locomotive Engineer
Old 05-11-2014, 04:45 PM   #55

Imho its not just what you are comfortable with its what's safe for not only you but everyone around you. If I ever get into an accident with someone towing more than what they should be, there will be a lawsuit. the weights are there for a reason and i think you should be held accountable if you ignore them. its not just you in the road.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forest River Forums mobile app
DD (3 year)
DS (6 months)
Old 05-11-2014, 05:00 PM   #56
Happy Keystone Owner

I grew up in a time when the most common tow vehicle was station wagons and sedans. We survived!

Years camping....55
Old 05-11-2014, 05:01 PM   #57
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficksters View Post
Imho its not just what you are comfortable with its what's safe for not only you but everyone around you. If I ever get into an accident with someone towing more than what they should be, there will be a lawsuit. the weights are there for a reason and i think you should be held accountable if you ignore them. its not just you in the road.
That should be an interesting lawsuit seeing proof that the other vehicle was overloaded by who's standard and how do you get someone to pick up all the pcs and re-create the loaded vehicle.
Old 05-11-2014, 05:07 PM   #58

leo investigate accidents where I live and over loaded based on thr available numbers

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forest River Forums mobile app
DD (3 year)
DS (6 months)
Old 05-11-2014, 05:55 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
That should be an interesting lawsuit seeing proof that the other vehicle was overloaded by who's standard and how do you get someone to pick up all the pcs and re-create the loaded vehicle.

X2!!!
Old 05-11-2014, 06:00 PM   #60

You can tow any combination that moves, and most RV's who are over capacity are not going very far and not going very fast, it is their way of life.
As far as legal towing there are not many law officers to worry about, YET. But, you are wide open for an "ambulance chasing lawyer" to take everything you own. Even when the accident was caused my the little old lady cutting in front of you. Lawyers will say you where unable to stop because, because, because, as he lists off these "weight police" numbers. This is where your insurance company bails out as well.
People who camp, just down the road and never drive fast are never going to be involved in an accident, right ! But, as the average age of the driving public increases you may find more drivers causing accidents everywhere.
Hensley Arrow Hitch
Average 50-60 nights/yr
Closed Thread