Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2013, 11:07 AM   #21

Keep these reports coming in, as I am quite interested in real life experience with this hitch. SPPD, looks like your rig is close to mind in terms of TV and TT size, so I am particularly interested in hearing your opinion once you get some tow time.

'12 F-150 XLT SuperCrew 4x4 Ecoboost with MaxTow
'12 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRKSS

BradinOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:24 PM   #22

Sorry, I have not been able to get it weighed, but I did use it on a 1200 mile trip about a month ago. I could not have been happier. I am able to get the rear back to complete level at 37 inches front and back which is about the same as I could do with the Eaz-Lift with 1K bars. It was quiet, no bounce, and in crosswinds/trucks passing it really shines. I have tried everything and it is better than two sway bars, equalizer, and gives the Reese dual cam a run for its money. It still takes just as long or longer to hook up but I can deal with that considering no grease, quiet, no bounce and extremely small sway. When it does sway the whole truck and trailer move as one not like the tail wagging the dog with other systems. I also noticed after the trip, the paint on the top of the hitch sleeve has scrapped of the there is some metal on metal contact which tells me it's doing a good job raising the rear. It looks very similar to the Eaz-Lift sleeve I used last year. Also, people have mentioned wear on the hitch coupler latch, after the trip I inspected that and it looks great. There is absolutely no unusual wear in that area because the ball turns with the coupler. Also, the brackets mounted to the A-frame did not budge. For the trip I have the bushings compressed about 3/8 of an inch. Also, make sure you have the triangle plate square with the trailer frame and the bushings are compressed equally or you will notice something isn't right. All of this is able to fix while hitching up using a rubber mallet and a tape measure. I doubt I'll go bake to the old systems because I'm pretty sure they have developed a better "mouse trap." I still hope to have it weighed in the future and I will post the results.
intensepisgahbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:29 PM   #23

I forgot to mention that every rest stop, gas station and finally at Fort Wilderness Campground, other RVers noticed it and had to talk about it and were very impressed with how level the whole rig was.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:02 PM   #24

I was recently in the market for a new hitch system and I really like the looks of the Andersen and can see the geometry/physics behind why it works. However, in my research I ran across potential issues with the constant pressure against the pawl/latch mechanism and I just wasn't comfrtable with the potential issues there.

In most WD hitches the torque to level the weight on the truck goes through separate bars through the hitch head into the receiver/truck. But with the Andersen system the WD torque is delivered through the main ball unit which means the forces are constantly going through the coupler's latch mechanism. I know these are designed to take forces of stopping and trailers bouncing, but those are dfferent from the large forces required to apply that WD torque to the truck's receiver.

I really do hope that it's all fine because I love the light weight design and creativity (competitiion is a good thing), but they've already found one coupler style where it's unsafe and I wonder if over time more will turn up. So I opted for the proven equalizer. Please do keep the reports coming.
cobrageek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:19 PM   #25

Well, last weekend hooked up the trailer to the Expy using the Andersen and towed it about 50 miles in a steady 40mph cross wind and I have to say it functioned very well. Naturally, a 35' trailer acts like a huge sail so we continued to be blown around a bit. Steering was much improved on the time before when I towed it but then it was only towing it with 750lb spring bars, having been told by the dealer we'd be just fine (and not having the common sense to contest this). The dry tongue weight of the trailer is listed at 946lbs so that already puts us close to the 1500lb cargo capacity of the Expy when you factor in a tank of gas and two adults. This did give me some concerns for our trip to Yellowstone in June.

Anyway, problem solved. The DW totaled the van, meaning we had to purchase a replacement vehicle. So, what else could I do but look for something that would work better for the heavy tongue weight - enter F350 dually. With the trailer strapped to the back of that wee beastie using the Andersen No Sway hitch I had absolutely no movement at all. The steering was solid, no bounce, knock or any other clunks. I just had to keep on checking the rear view mirror to make sure I was still towing the trailer. It was as if it wasn't even there.

Hitching up took only a couple of minutes using a large torque wrench to compress the bushels to a point where 7 threads on the bolts where exposed.

In about 6 weeks we're heading south of the Canadian border so I should have a better feeling for towing a heavy trailer on the back of the F350 using the Andersen. I'll let you know how we get on.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:50 PM   #26

im just wandering which dealer in Calgary you purchased your hitch from, it sure would be nice if you will keep all of us up to date on your findings of
your travels with this hitch.

kd camper
Yorkton, sk.
2011 3500 Chev 3500 CC 6.0l
2013 rockwood8329ss
kdcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:20 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdcamper View Post
im just wandering which dealer in Calgary you purchased your hitch from, it sure would be nice if you will keep all of us up to date on your findings of
your travels with this hitch.

kd camper
Yorkton, sk.
2011 3500 Chev 3500 CC 6.0l
2013 rockwood8329ss
Hi KD,

I bought it from Woody's RV World, 11700 29 Street SE, Calgary in January while they were at the Calgary RV show.

As I get to use it more I will post my findings on here too. As soon as I get to a place with a weigh station I'll also get the numbers there and post them too.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Old 05-07-2013, 09:03 PM   #28

I was at Woody's on Sunday and they have them on display. $699.00 if I recall. The lady that works behind the counter there just bought one for her trailer.
Happy travels
Dabmeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:06 PM   #29

Ouch, I managed to get mine during a promotion and paid only $509 + GST

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Old 05-07-2013, 09:33 PM   #30

I like the looks and simplicity of it but just got a new 10000# dual cam Reese so I'm not buying another right now. Have a 14000# easy lift for our other trailer as well.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:38 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabmeb View Post
I was at Woody's on Sunday and they have them on display. $699.00 if I recall. The lady that works behind the counter there just bought one for her trailer.
Happy travels
That's crazy!!! We paid 379 with free shipping for ours last year. They are totally scamming people with that price.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:29 AM   #32

Yes welcome to Canada. I tried buying the RAS here and it's $675.00. Ordered direct and got it delivered with tax and duty for over $200.00 less.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:18 PM   #33

Well, just completed the first major journey using the Andersen 'No sway' hitch. Pulled the TT like a dream on our 600km trip. Absolutely no sway at all traveling along the highway with a crosswind or being passed by 18 wheelers. Easy to attach and disengage at the start and end of the journey. No clunking, banging or groans from the hitch assembly. All in all, a very positive experience. Another 600km leg to go before the return1200 kms to home.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Old 06-26-2013, 10:49 AM   #34
One Happy Camper!

Hutch,

We also loved our Andersen and had about 1000 problem free miles. I am glad you are enjoying your hitch! Safe travels!

SPPD

TV: 15 F-250 Crew 6.2 short bed, ProPride Hitch
1995 Jayco Eagle 304 BH sold- March 2013
1978 Nomad 18 sold- April 2005
SPPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:56 PM   #35
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPPD View Post
Hutch,

We also loved our Andersen and had about 1000 problem free miles. I am glad you are enjoying your hitch! Safe travels!

SPPD
WHy the change to the ProPride then?

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:52 PM   #36

I have had my Andersen for over a year now and 6000 miles. No problems, works great and quiet and clean too. Previously had a Reese WD and sway control, greasy and noisy.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:51 PM   #37

I finally had my TV and TT weighed as we were leaving for the beach a couple of weeks ago. The results are: Front Axle= 3,300 lbs, Rear Axle = 3,580 lbs, TT Axle = 5,460 lbs. These weights represent my rig set up actually for camping with the family on board and a full tank of gas. The rig was dead level with 3/8 inch compression on the bushings and the rear axle is 420 lbs under the max weight of my rear axle. To recap my TV is an F-150 with the max tow and the TT is a 2013 Gray Wolf 26 DBH. So far I have towed 2,200 miles this year with no bounce or sway and we are leaving in two days on another 800 mile trip. I have been very pleased with the hitch thus far and hope it continues performing as well as it has. Also, I do inspect the coupler each time I unhook and there is not any unusual wear.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:23 PM   #38
One Happy Camper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSasks View Post
WHy the change to the ProPride then?
Long Story Short,

My wife will not drive while towing. With every hitch I have ever used there would be some movement of the trailer. The Andersen pulled better than any other hitch I have ever used, but there would still be the occasional movement back there. After researching the ProPride it claimed to completely eliminate the movement back there and the reviews backed it up. The thought of my wife sharing the driving was worth the price to me. After using the ProPride it lives up to its reputation. When we drive 1200 miles to a vacation spot it will not take me the first 2 days to recover from the drive now that my wife and I share the driving.

The Andersen is absolutely top notch. I would recommend it to others. If we were still the short trip and seasonal campers we used to be I would never have considered a different hitch. We changed our campinh style and having the abilty to share the driving has made camping much more enjoyable for me.

SPPD

SPPD

TV: 15 F-250 Crew 6.2 short bed, ProPride Hitch
1995 Jayco Eagle 304 BH sold- March 2013
1978 Nomad 18 sold- April 2005
SPPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:38 AM   #39

I can see the advancements in this hitch but it is still a friction based sway control and any sway is unacceptable. I have been using a Hensley Arrow since 1999 and the only other hitch I would consider would be the Pro Pride. These hitches allow no sway absolutely 0. My 2 cents opinion
harell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:25 AM   #40

How much do the Hensley Arrow and Pro Pride hitches weigh? Not only does my 120 lb wife share in the driving, she can also hitch up our rig because the Andersen is so lite. She never did either when we had our old EZ system with two sway bars.