Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2015, 07:30 PM   #1

Just installed my new Lippert Approved Reese Goosebox

I know there is a lot of ideas and opinions on gooseneck adapters used on fivers. Due to an old Army injury, I just can't lift 80-130lbs 5th wheel hitches in and out of my pickup so in the past I've used gooseneck adapters with no issues ever. My 32ft race trailer came with a 1/3 inch square plate 5th wheel pin box but it is the strongest monster I've ever seen and it comes straight down with no forward rake. Not like the whimpy looking Lippert units they have now so I have never been worried.

In my new V cross it has that new style Lippert pin box that has the rake so shorter bed trucks can use them but it doesn't look very strong so putting a gooseneck adapter on it, even the short 12 inch units could cause extra stress so I decieded to spend the extra money and get the Mercedes of adapters. The Reese Goosebox actually replaces the entire Lippert pin box and IS approved and even installed at the factory by Lippert as an option if orderd.

It is very cool, more solid then the stocker, and has 2 air shocks that give you the smoothest ride I've experienced. It was like silk on the drive home today. You can add up to 50psi if needed. There is an air level on the side so once you get the unit hooked up, depending on pin weight, you can add or take away air to put it in the desired air pressure range for the smoothest ride.

There is no added stress on the pin box as this is the pin box. Easy to hook up and release. We are going camping next weekend so I will get a chance to try her out. We have about a 3 hour tow each way so I can give you good feedback. I added a few pics:

Twin air shocks from the back side of the pin box:

TV: 2016 GMC 3500 Denali - Motor Ops Tuned
Days Camped 2016: 28
Days Camped 2017: 25 so far
DocGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 07:32 PM   #2

We got one on ours and we love it, very smooth.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:47 PM   #3

we have one on ours, the difference between the goosebox and a dish is unbelievable
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 10:00 PM   #4
rustyfanblack

Great looking hitch. Do you have any clearance issues with the bed rails of your pickup?

Are you able to hitch the trailer to the tow vehicle by yourself or do you require a second

person?
rustyfanblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 10:34 PM   #5

Pulled our camper home this past weekend from the dealer with the reese goose box first time pulling a 5er. I can only say solid as a rock gerry smooth ride gerry happy with it.

It actually has an air spring inside with two short shocks.
TheOrrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 12:00 AM   #6
Always Learning

Do you have to climb into the bed to attach safety chains?
Old 01-14-2015, 12:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfanblack View Post
Great looking hitch. Do you have any clearance issues with the bed rails of your pickup?

Are you able to hitch the trailer to the tow vehicle by yourself or do you require a second

person?
I was a bit worried about bed clearence because our gooseneck horse trailers had to be extended all the way out to get bed clearence. The merhow LQ horse trailer even needed the axles altered to get a level hook up. I had the brain fart to have the new toy hauler as a gooseneck so we would only need one hitch in the truck bed for all,but no one could give me a dimension from the top of the ball to the underside of the trailer frame. Since we had to drive 250 miles to pickup the trailer we just decided to wing it and see what we got.When we got there and prepared to hook it up we were plesantly suprised to find that the trailer was 2" or so too HIGH when hooked up Since I do have ride rite air suspension on the TV it was a simple matter to readjust the leveling valve under the truck to provide the perfect,level 10" I wanted between the trailer/box,while maintaining a perfect level floor(front to back),so no trailer suspension mods required! Pulling it home on 131 gave it several tests,the speed test which confirmed identical,no pucker handeling from 55 to 80mph.We only pull at 62-65 but you never know when a downhill burst of speed may be usefull . Semi's passing use or us passing them (yeah at 80+) made no difference whatsoever in the handleing.Bumpy roads (in Mi???) and rapid lane changes were not worth writeing about.in fact, we commited so many unsafe driveing acts on the way home ,that if caught,we may still be in jail for! We perfomed most of the tests two times,once with Nancy in the cab with me,and then again with hersitting in the dinette reading.The hitch passed both times! In closeing I would say its so good and easy that a 14 yr old with a learners permit could do it!

The one disclaimer is that I WOULD NOT do this kind of testing on the stock westlake 15" lr D tires and aluminum wheels that came on the unit. We refitted ours with GY Marathon 16" lr E on dexsteel wheels with screw retained brass valves that had been spin balanced.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbomax View Post
I was a bit worried about bed clearence because our gooseneck horse trailers had to be extended all the way out to get bed clearence. The merhow LQ horse trailer even needed the axles altered to get a level hook up. I had the brain fart to have the new toy hauler as a gooseneck so we would only need one hitch in the truck bed for all,but no one could give me a dimension from the top of the ball to the underside of the trailer frame. Since we had to drive 250 miles to pickup the trailer we just decided to wing it and see what we got.When we got there and prepared to hook it up we were plesantly suprised to find that the trailer was 2" or so too HIGH when hooked up Since I do have ride rite air suspension on the TV it was a simple matter to readjust the leveling valve under the truck to provide the perfect,level 10" I wanted between the trailer/box,while maintaining a perfect level floor(front to back),so no trailer suspension mods required! Pulling it home on 131 gave it several tests,the speed test which confirmed identical,no pucker handeling from 55 to 80mph.We only pull at 62-65 but you never know when a downhill burst of speed may be usefull . Semi's passing use or us passing them (yeah at 80+) made no difference whatsoever in the handleing.Bumpy roads (in Mi???) and rapid lane changes were not worth writeing about.in fact, we commited so many unsafe driveing acts on the way home ,that if caught,we may still be in jail for! We perfomed most of the tests two times,once with Nancy in the cab with me,and then again with hersitting in the dinette reading.The hitch passed both times! In closeing I would say its so good and easy that a 14 yr old with a learners permit could do it!

The one disclaimer is that I WOULD NOT do this kind of testing on the stock westlake 15" lr D tires and aluminum wheels that came on the unit. We refitted ours with GY Marathon 16" lr E on dexsteel wheels with screw retained brass valves that had been spin balanced.
Did I read this correctly that your wife? Nancy was (In the Towed unit sitting at the Table) while you were doing 80MPH changing Lanes,passing Semi's,and other Unsafe acts??? Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 06:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Do you have to climb into the bed to attach safety chains?
No chains just the brake safety cable.
TheOrrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:08 AM   #10
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrrs View Post

Interesting. I think I ask this same question- mostly from ignorance. I didn't know they weren't required. And I think they'd be the single biggest reason I wouldn't go to a G/N.

Thanks.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Interesting. I think I ask this same question- mostly from ignorance. I didn't know they weren't required. And I think they'd be the single biggest reason I wouldn't go to a G/N.

Thanks.
Many states require safety chains with gooseneck trailers. I believe 29 or so.
taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:45 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by taken View Post
Many states require safety chains with gooseneck trailers. I believe 29 or so. Here is a link for towing laws by state.

Towing World Official Website
You know how it is with "I have been told..." but I had been told it was a state by state requirement, also... and that Texas requires them. I use the Andersen Ultimate hitch which is a 5th wheel/gooseneck combination and I paid $63 for a set of chains so I wouldn't have to have the '5th wheel/gooseneck' discussion with the police on the side of the road.

Your mileage will vary... but I decided at the age of 67 that if I can no longer hook up my safety chains, I should retire from trailering. That's just me... not a commentary for any other person or place or thing.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:23 AM   #13

Chains are reqd in mich on any ball type hitch. The hooks on the vehicle ends may NOT be connected to any part of the hitch assembly and must NOT be crossed as with a BP. This from the MSP post in Kalkaska,Mi.They also said that if the trailer licenseing state requires them,then they must be in place where ever you tow.Ive always used them with the horse trailers but the reese unit does not come with them,nor does it refer to them in any way.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfanblack View Post

person?
With the shocks aired to proper level, I have about 7 inches of bed rail clearance.

Yes, I can do it all solo. I have a backup camera in the bed so that is a breeze and I can reach the lock/unlock from the side of the truck.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:54 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrrs View Post
Quote:

Thanks.
Correct. This goosebox follows the same guidlines as a standard 5th wheel hitch. No chaines needed.

My thought is that the way a 5th wheel hitch moves, if you needed chaines, they would have to be REALLY long. Same with the Reese Goosebox as it is the same design. On a gooseneck or gooseneck adapter, the chains are very short as the pivit point is very close to the ball.

I checked with etrailer.com and also Reese themselves and Reese says "no chains needed for RV use." It is not an adapter, it is the actual pinbox and also a Lippert approved unit.

etrailer repeats Reese's comments but they also take the side of "check you local laws just in case, and we can sell you the chains if needed." That is the CYA answer.

I have chains from my previous adapter but there is no easy place to attach but you can always find a spot if needed. I'll keep them in the truck as a "just in case."

Florida laws on chains does not specify bumper pull, gooseneck, or 5th wheel. It just says: Safety Chains=yes. So based on this crappy explanation, the 5th wheel guys need them too. With Florida, who knows... LOL
Old 01-14-2015, 11:55 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGTO View Post
Correct. This goosebox follows the same guidlines as a standard 5th wheel hitch. No chaines needed.

My thought is that the way a 5th wheel hitch moves, if you needed chaines, they would have to be REALLY long. Same with the Reese Goosebox as it is the same design. On a gooseneck or gooseneck adapter, the chains are very short as the pivit point is very close to the ball.

I checked with etrailer.com and also Reese themselves and Reese says "no chains needed for RV use." It is not an adapter, it is the actual pinbox and also a Lippert approved unit.

etrailer repeats Reese's comments but they also take the side of "check you local laws just in case, and we can sell you the chains if needed." That is the CYA answer.

I have chains from my previous adapter but there is no easy place to attach but you can always find a spot if needed. I'll keep them in the truck as a "just in case."

Florida laws on chains does not specify bumper pull, gooseneck, or 5th wheel. It just says: Safety Chains=yes. So based on this crappy explanation, the 5th wheel guys need them too. With Florida, who knows... LOL
Needed, no. Required in 29 states, yes. If it's not a 5th wheel hitch, safety chains are required. Will you get caught or hassled over it, I doubt it. Is it legal to run a GooseBox without chains if your home state requires them on a gooseneck, NO. I personally wouldn't worry about it either. I would just be aware to watch out for a LEO with too much time on his hands...
Old 01-14-2015, 01:35 PM   #17

Quote:
Needed, no. Required in 29 states, yes. If it's not a 5th wheel hitch, safety chains are required. Will you get caught or hassled over it, I doubt it. Is it legal to run a GooseBox without chains if your home state requires them on a gooseneck, NO. I personally wouldn't worry about it either. I would just be aware to watch out for a LEO with too much time on his hands...
Lol. All good points. So far the only time we have to deal with anything about towing, it is our horse trailer going thru the Ag stops. Those guys are ridiculous... Lol.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:38 PM   #18

Quote:
Lol. All good points. So far the only time we have to deal with anything about towing, it is our horse trailer going thru the Ag stops. Those guys are ridiculous... Lol.

I hear you... Look at my sig line for my truck and trailer. I think johnny law might find something askew with my setup too...
Old 01-14-2015, 02:30 PM   #19

Quote:
I hear you... Look at my sig line for my truck and trailer. I think johnny law might find something askew with my setup too...
I just looked it up. Wow, thats a triple axle monster! Your dry weight is over our loaded weight! My trailer is 12K loaded with a pin of a tick over 2K.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:53 PM   #20

Quote:
I just looked it up. Wow, thats a triple axle monster! Your dry weight is over our loaded weight! My trailer is 12K loaded with a pin of a tick over 2K.
My last rig was 16k loaded dual axle with a touch over 3k on the pin. Handled it like a million bucks. This one will be a little less pin weight and three axles providing better braking and stability so that should counter the few extra feet and lbs...

Tags
led