Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2024, 05:58 PM   #1

Just Picked Her Up

I wanted to thank everyone that answered my questions before I got my trailer. Well today was the day I got to pick up my new to me Mini Lite. It is a 2022 2511s. She really looks brand new inside and out. The previous owners took such great care of her.

Now I am towing her with a F-150 and I realize it is marginal but I am going to make it work. The biggest thing I like about my Ford is it has the Powerboost engine with the 7.2kw onboard power generator. So I do not even need to bring a small one with me.

I do have one question, it came with a Blue Ox Sway Pro WDH and I will be trying to dial it in. Owner before had it set up on a F-150 too. With your discerning eyes, does it look like it is set up correctly? Seems like everything is level to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2200.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	272.9 KB
ID:	297141  
Grizzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 07:15 PM   #2

From the picture it looks pretty good.
That truck should pull that trailer easily, only thing you may want to consider changing is the tires. Going to a LT series tire will help eliminate any sway you may have, only problem is when not towing the ride quality of your F150 will not be as soft & cushy.

2019 Ford F-250 Super Cab 6.2L Lariat
2016 ML23FB (Sold March 2024)
2024 ML25SRK
MT Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 07:24 PM   #3

Looks good from Erie PA. At just under 7000lbs max weight, the F150 should be good. Once loaded for a trip I would recommend scaling the truck and camper. Hard to know where you are without numbers. Search here for weighing and I'm sure there is plenty of good advice for weighing. Take your time getting familiar with how it tows and enjoy!!
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 07:47 PM   #4
Site Team

Moved thread from the Welcome Mat section to the Towing, Tow Vehicles and Hitches sub-forum since the OP's questions are specific to that sub-forum and the post is not an introduction post.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 09:13 PM   #5

I think it looks good. You can always download the hitch manual and check how it recommends adjusting. Also as someone already mentioned, it might be helpful to take it to a CAT scale when loaded to really see numbers. Your trailer is similar in weight to ours and our F150 does fine with it.

I also think your set-up will look sharp going down the road.
Old 02-20-2024, 09:33 PM   #6

Your trailer is similar in weight to ours and our F150 does fine with it.

X2
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 10:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabinfever97 View Post
Looks good from Erie PA. At just under 7000lbs max weight, the F150 should be good. Once loaded for a trip I would recommend scaling the truck and camper. Hard to know where you are without numbers. Search here for weighing and I'm sure there is plenty of good advice for weighing. Take your time getting familiar with how it tows and enjoy!!
Once you get CAT scale numbers, plug them into the blanks on this site.
Actual Weights - Travel Trailer/Bumper Pull Weights from CAT Scales - TowingPlanner

Once done, now you will know the facts along with the numbers. Not what somebody thinks or what someone said.

Bob
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 11:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzz View Post
I wanted to thank everyone that answered my questions before I got my trailer. Well today was the day I got to pick up my new to me Mini Lite. It is a 2022 2511s. She really looks brand new inside and out. The previous owners took such great care of her.

Now I am towing her with a F-150 and I realize it is marginal but I am going to make it work. The biggest thing I like about my Ford is it has the Powerboost engine with the 7.2kw onboard power generator. So I do not even need to bring a small one with me.

I do have one question, it came with a Blue Ox Sway Pro WDH and I will be trying to dial it in. Owner before had it set up on a F-150 too. With your discerning eyes, does it look like it is set up correctly? Seems like everything is level to me.
Congratsó-Looks great! We have nearly identical setups. Our f150 is the 3.5eco and 2wd though, with a 2509s and ProPride.

I think you should scale it, dial it in, and youíre gonna be really happy with it!!
Tex94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 02:01 AM   #9

Looks good as far as the leveling of the truck/trailer.
Can't tell from the picture if the wiring and safety chains are hooked up correctly.

Congratulations on your new rig.
Old 02-21-2024, 06:22 AM   #10

Good place to get weighed is your local land fill or transfer station. Living in a rural community I go to the dump once a week so asked the attendant if we could do that. So one time I went the morning we were packing for a trip. Dropped my trash and weighed my empty truck. Went home and hooked up and stopped back by on our way out of town to weigh the whole rig. The attendant asked for nothing but I gave him a tip anyway.

Sometimes it’s good to live in a small town.
MGD1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 07:27 AM   #11

Same camper and almost same truck. Pulls fine.
I did weigh mine once loaded and with full fuel. Right at my max for axle weights. Does not make me afraid though to put some water in if I know I am going to need it. Not like it is a Jenga block game and you burn off fuel weight while driving. On mine for every gallon of water I put in the tongue weight went up about 6Lbs.
Husky CenterLine WDH
GolfingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 08:14 AM   #12

Beautiful rig and truck. The WDH setup looks good from the picture. Enjoy it and safe travels!

Take the high road. It's usually less muddy.
Mookie58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 11:29 AM   #13

I haven't read all the responses, so I expect I'll repeat others.
IMHO this is a two step process.

1. With the RV fully loaded for a camping trip, on a long, flat surface (preferably level, too, but that's not essential) setup the RV on its tongue jack to be parallel with the ground (not necessarily "level" but "apparently level" compared to the flat surface). Determine that by measuring from the gound to the bottom of the RV frame rails near the rear of the rig and up by the A-frame. Once the rig is "apparently level" with the surface, and with the WDH hitch in place on the TV, back the UNLADEN TV up to the coupler on the RV and set the ball height to match the coupler height. Adjust the WDH ball mount up or down on the hitch to match the coupler on the rig.

2. Next, with your TV still totally unladen, measure the distance from the ground to the bottom of the hitch receiver or similar fixed point on your truck. To my thinking, the ground to hitch-receiver measurement is the most logical and accurate. Then load the truck bed and cabin with what you expect will be a typical camping load and add the already-loaded RV on the hitch and adjust the spring bars to achieve an "unladen" ride height for the truck's "ground-to-receiver" measurment. That restores unladen ride height to your TV, and your RV should return to level in the process.

Once this is done, both the TV and the trailer will more or less be level, and the TV will be positioned at its unladen ride height to:
~ Preserve suspension travel on the TV's rear axle;
~ Maintain proper headlight aim on the TV;
~ Transfer a substantial portion of the tongue weight to the front axle of the TV to ensure good front tire traction for steering and braking - which is the most important reason to use a WDH.

To my eye, your photo depicts that the RV is quite level, but the rear of the TV is sagged considerably from its normal, unladen stance. But that's just a hunch, because I haven't seen the before picture...with the truck empty and nothing on the hitch. I expect that, unladen, your TV sits a bit high at the rear and lower at the front...nose down. That's what the unladen ground to receiver measurement determines.

Also note that you may wish to increase the TV's rear tire pressure a bit to minimize squish and squirm under this near-max load. Depends on your tires. When I tow with my half-ton, I increase my tire pressure from factory spec 35 PSI to sidewall max 44 PSI, and it does wonders for handling. I don't change the pressure in my front tires. While the WDH transfers some load to the TV's front axle, the rear axle still bears the brunt of the transient loads through whoop-de-doos and other things that cause the RV A-frame to plunge up and down.

Your setup isn't wrong, but, if nothing else, I expect you'll blind oncoming drivers with your low-beams, because the TV's tail seems to be dragging a bit.

Those are my thoughts.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 11:38 AM   #14

X2 on what "jimmoore13" says.

Bob
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 12:23 PM   #15

The truck looks to be sagging just a little bit but the trailer looks level. You can probably fine tune the WDH to get both truck and trailer level. Overall it'll work
Old 02-26-2024, 07:11 PM   #16

Looks great. One thing when. I bought our FR Wildwood is to change the tires. Goodyear Endurance has been a great choice after 3 blowouts with the cheap tires it came with. Happy camping!😊
Robeede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 08:42 PM   #17
Scoundrel

Nice set up! Enjoy.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 09:04 AM   #18
ARLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzz View Post

Specs on that trailer are an 824 pound weight 5748 pounds cherry capacity 12 36,25 feet high 96 inches wide. Being able to do that with a properly equipped F150 is not even a question. Right now I am towing a 2508B Rockwood with a 945 pound tongue, weight and a trailer weight of about 6800 pounds. It Toes very well with My 2019 F150 super with the V6 twin turbo. It also has Max tow. I would however, suggest that you upgrade the tires on the trailer to match the truck. My truck came with the standard F150 tires from the factory and I donít like them. I replaced them with a set of Michelin defender, LTX tires. Good tires, great wear. I do like the Cooper HT threes better because they ride nicer. Iím thinking your new trailer already has radios on it if it has tires made in China watch them very carefully and check your tire pressures regularly. The tires tend to blow up once in a while. Our new trailer has Goodyear endurance tires and they are excellent. Good luck with your new trailer.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 09:43 AM   #19

I agree with MT Biker on the tire upgrade to LT and I would go with 10 ply side wall. I went from a 275/55r20 to a Michelin 275/65r20 big difference and not enough difference in ride quality to matter....in fact the added stability felt better. I also added Timbren DR1500DQ Suspension Enhancement System.....this is a MUST for towing with your 1500. I also changed my sway bar to a Hellwig Rear Sway bar 7709. My Rockwood is similar to yours just a bit shorter 2205s. Just my 2 cents worth...Enjoy
badboycarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 06:04 PM   #20

Congrats ! Been enjoying our 2019 2511.Nice setup. Also towing with an F 150, though an extended cab and a 5.0. Your setup doesn't look too bad from the photo. Might need slight adjustment to the hitch to level the truck a bit. There is a formula to measure distance from ground to fender front and rear before and after hitching and recommended rear drop or front rise on the measurement. The 2511's are a little tongue heavy, so you'll get a sizable rear drop but want the front to rise as little as possible.
Freetyme is offline   Reply With Quote