Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2022, 05:16 PM   #1

Leave trailer hooked up overnight?

Hi
Im very new to rv ing ! Can I leave the 25 foot Minilite hooked up to my Chevy Suburban overnight? I have early departure in the am.
Thanks!
Sconnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 05:20 PM   #2

Should be fine. I have been told to perhaps unplug the electrical connection. (As long as you don't forget to plug it back in). Evidently some trucks used to (might) allow the trailer to drain the battery. Depends on how the truck sends dc power.
Old 05-25-2022, 05:39 PM   #3
Site Team

I’d guess about 80-90% of members who have responded to this question in the past have said it’s OK to remain hooked up. I have many times. A few people have recommended to unhook to make it easier to bolt to a hospital or to move away from a burning trailer.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 68; Booked for 2022 = 41
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 05:53 PM   #4

We used to do it all the time when we had a trailer. You should try to be fairly level so that you don't end up walking uphill in the trailer. Then we always unhooked the electric from the truck and chocked the wheels. I know, you shouldn't have to chock the wheels, but we weren't comfortable relying on the truck's brakes holding both vehicles in place. Then just reverse everything in the am.
Old 05-25-2022, 06:33 PM   #5

Thank you!
Old 05-25-2022, 06:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fipntdot View Post
Should be fine. I have been told to perhaps unplug the electrical connection. (As long as you don't forget to plug it back in). Evidently some trucks used to (might) allow the trailer to drain the battery. Depends on how the truck sends dc power.

Since we don't know what TV you have.....most newer trucks will cut the power from the truck 12v lead at the trailer plug when you turn the ignition off. You can check this at the trailer pug with a 12v test light or a multi-meter. First with the ignition off then again with the key on.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 08:05 PM   #7

Heck yea, I do it under the same circumstance but I pull the umbilical just to be sure I don't draw down my TV battery. But with 380 watts of solar on the roof and 150 Amp hours of lithium battery might be a bit overreaction but never know.

2022 Rockwood 2893BS
2019 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD
Theb2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 08:15 PM   #8

Absolutely
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 07:18 AM   #9

The night before every camping trip, we bring our Mini-Lite from the storage place to our house and park it along the street. We get the fridge/freezer cooling and load in anything that can stand the weather overnight. Our Tahoe High Country stays attached (hooked the TT up to Durango R/T before, too). Next day when we depart, we just shut off the propane and head out. The fridge keeps food cold enough if just going a couple hours away. We have never had any issue with that approach.
Julianne_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 07:48 AM   #10

I never unhook my 5er for an overnight! If power Available connect that and nothing else for a quick morning get away.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 08:28 AM   #11
Fully COVID-19 vaccinated

I will lower my tongue jack to remove weight from my truck then put my stabilizers down.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 08:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
I will lower my tongue jack to remove weight from my truck then put my stabilizers down.
We do about the same, and disconnect the 7-pin connector in favor of a 20A connection to the house (if we're leaving the next morning). Keeps the batteries topped up and the fridge cold overnight. Put a sticky note on your steering wheel to remind yourself to reconnect the 7-Pin if you're like me and have CRS.

K_M_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 12:19 PM   #13
jkoenig24

Check first to be SURE that when you switch the ignition OFF, that power TO the trailer is also turned off.I didn't know to do that and, on my first night out, the trailer drained the battery of my tow vehicle. Simplest solution is to UNPLUG the trailer umbilical cord. That way, NO power can flow from the tow vehicle to the trailer. In the morning, when you do your "walk around" you should notice that said umbilical cord is NOT connected; you just have to plug it back in. You DO perform a "walk around" at the start and end of EACH travel day as well as each time you stop, don't you? Have a flashlight and your checklist WITH you as you do your walk around. Takes only a few minutes and can save you BIG bucks when you catch a problem BEFORE it bites you.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 01:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoenig24 View Post
Check first to be SURE that when you switch the ignition OFF, that power TO the trailer is also turned off.I didn't know to do that and, on my first night out, the trailer drained the battery of my tow vehicle. Simplest solution is to UNPLUG the trailer umbilical cord. That way, NO power can flow from the tow vehicle to the trailer. In the morning, when you do your "walk around" you should notice that said umbilical cord is NOT connected; you just have to plug it back in. You DO perform a "walk around" at the start and end of EACH travel day as well as each time you stop, don't you? Have a flashlight and your checklist WITH you as you do your walk around. Takes only a few minutes and can save you BIG bucks when you catch a problem BEFORE it bites you.
Gotta do the walk-around, but an extra reminder always helps. Even after doing a walk-around, I've done dumb stuff, like forget to put the hitch pin in, pull out and then have to pull over and re-check it. This is why we cross check on our walk-arounds. It's less likely that you'll forget it, but human error happens.

K_M_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 02:18 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoenig24 View Post
... In the morning, when you do your "walk around" you should notice that said umbilical cord is NOT connected; you just have to plug it back in....
Since we ALWAYS make sure that the trailer brake lights and turn signals are working before hitting the road there is zero chance we'd leave without the cord connected.

I hope folks always check the trailer lights...it would stink to get rear-ended due to no brake lights, eh?
PodGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 07:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sconnell View Post
Thank you!
All of that advice so far seems solid.

On top of that when I'm going to stay on the ball overnight I usually try to run the jack stand down to take some of the weight off the tow vehicle. Sometimes you can't take much off without throwing yourself out of level but I hate leaving the weight on my truck when I don't have to.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 06:31 AM   #17
Fully COVID-19 vaccinated

Quote:
Originally Posted by PodGeek View Post
Since we ALWAYS make sure that the trailer brake lights and turn signals are working before hitting the road there is zero chance we'd leave without the cord connected.

I hope folks always check the trailer lights...it would stink to get rear-ended due to no brake lights, eh?

I always do a quick walk around of my trailer whenever I stop. This includes hub temperatures, tires, lights and hitch plus a quick look under the trailer.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer