Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2019, 10:07 PM   #1
TRN

Let's talk total length!

My current setup is a Dynamax DX3 (39') and open trailer for my race car. This setup is less than 65', which is the max allowable length in many states. I'm thinking about getting an enclosed trailer and have been leaning towards at 20' since this will also keep me under 65' total. However, a 20' enclosed trailer is not ideal, I would much rather go with a 24'. My question is: how often are people getting stopped for being overlength? Or, do you have to be stopped for some other offense, and then can be measured?

What sucks is that quite a few of the race tracks that I want to visit over the next few years are either in states that have length laws of less than 65', or I have to drive through them to get where I'm going.

Just as an aside, weight is not an issue with my setup, 20K towing and 54K GCWR, so a 20-28' trailer is not going to put me anywhere over the weight limit.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:03 AM   #2

Length vary depending on the state. Nevada allows triples that appear to be around 100' in length.
California allows a tractor pulling doubles that are 75' long.
65' is the legal length for a tractor and one semi-trailer.
Since your RV is not a "commercial vehicle", are the laws different?
Are you required to stop at roadside DOT inspection scales?
Old 08-26-2019, 09:54 AM   #3
clr

I just went through this is Illinois with my rig and drivers license, so am somewhat knowledgeable in this area for Il at least.

In Illinois since you are a race car driver and may make money from either sponsors or winning purses, you would need a commercial drivers license. They asked me directly about this when I needed a class A Non CDL type license. In Illinois if your rig is considered a tractor trailer your maximum length would be 65 feet, if they determine that you are not a tractor trailer and fall under the other the max length is 60 feet. The other picture is a box type truck pulling a trailer so it may be 60 feet max in illinois. In my experience if you are on a class 1 or 2 highway you are very unlikely to be pulled over and measured. They only seem to rarely stop and measure if you are double hooked.

Of course if you have a CDL you must stop at all weigh stations in all states. If you meet the requirements in your home state (have the right class license) for your unit configuration you are good in the other states. But each state can and does set their own weight and length limits.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 10:12 AM   #4
TRN

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
Length vary depending on the state. Nevada allows triples that appear to be around 100' in length.
California allows a tractor pulling doubles that are 75' long.
65' is the legal length for a tractor and one semi-trailer.
Since your RV is not a "commercial vehicle", are the laws different?
Are you required to stop at roadside DOT inspection scales?
Correct, total length varies by state for RV's, and RV's are not required to stop at DOT inspection scales. For instance, Illinois is only 60ft total for an RV and trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr View Post
I just went through this is Illinois with my rig and drivers license, so am somewhat knowledgeable in this area for Il at least.

In Illinois since you are a race car driver and may make money from either sponsors or winning purses, you would need a commercial drivers license. They asked me directly about this when I needed a class A Non CDL type license. In Illinois if your rig is considered a tractor trailer your maximum length would be 65 feet, if they determine that you are not a tractor trailer and fall under the other the max length is 60 feet. The other picture is a box type truck pulling a trailer so it may be 60 feet max in illinois. In my experience if you are on a class 1 or 2 highway you are very unlikely to be pulled over and measured. They only seem to rarely stop and measure if you are double hooked.

Of course if you have a CDL you must stop at all weigh stations in all states. If you meet the requirements in your home state (have the right class license) for your unit configuration you are good in the other states. But each state can and does set their own weight and length limits.
Alabama does not require a CDL for an RV. From the AL code:

"QUALIFIED MOTOR VEHICLE A qualified motor vehicle is a motor vehicle used, designed, or maintained for the transportation of persons or property having: • two axles and a gross vehicle weight or registered gross vehicle weight in excess of 26,000 pounds (11,793.401 kilograms); or • three or more axles, regardless of weight; or • used in combination, when the gross vehicle weight or registered gross vehicle weight of such combination exceeds 26,000 pounds (11,793.401 kilograms). Qualified Motor Vehicles do not include recreational vehicles unless they are used in conjunction with any business endeavor. Recreational vehicles are vehicles such as motor homes, pickup trucks with attached campers and buses when used exclusively for personal pleasure by an individual."

My racing is not a business endeavor, it's for fun, no prize money, and I sponsor myself. However, I have heard the same thing that you stated, a CDL is needed and racers are often pulled over for this. Thus, I spoke to an officer of the Alabama Law enforcement motor carrier division and I specifically asked about towing a race car to club events. He was extremely helpful and pointed me to "390.3 question 21" of the FMCSA (see below).

"Question 21: Does the exemption in §390.3(f)(3) for the "occasional transportation of personal property by individuals not for compensation nor in the furtherance of a commercial enterprise" apply to persons who occasionally use CMVs to transport cars, boats, horses, etc., to races, tournaments, shows or similar events, even if prize money is offered at these events?

Guidance: The exemption would apply to this kind of transportation, provided: (1) The underlying activities are not undertaken for profit, i.e., (a) prize money is declared as ordinary income for tax purposes, and (b) the cost of the underlying activities is not deducted as a business expense for tax purposes; and, where relevant; (2) corporate sponsorship is not involved. Drivers must confer with their State of licensure to determine the licensing provisions to which they are subject."

Since Alabama does not require me to have a CDL for an RV (even with a GWCR above 26,001) he says that I am good to go in all states. He suggested that I print the regulations and carry with me at all time.

"In my experience if you are on a class 1 or 2 highway you are very unlikely to be pulled over and measured." - This is what I was thinking as well.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:17 AM   #5

The answer seems to be, yes you would be illegal at over 65' but enforcement action is unlikely. You would only be over by a small amount and the violation wouldn't be obvious. Most LEO's do not have commercial enforcement training, but some do. If you do get measured, you take your chances, just pay the fine and keep on trucking.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:37 AM   #6

I've seen a lot of very long RV rigs on the road, after over 100,000+ miles in the last almost 5 years of travel, that either don't seem to care much about any 'length' rules, or are not aware of any such laws limiting them...

with each state potentially having a different approach to this, and possibly a different 'rule' about not only length, but what constitutes a rig that falls into that scope, such as excluding personal vehicles or recreational vehicles, it certainly makes sense that while most any of us want to drive safely, and we also want to drive what we want to drive, it's easier to simply ignore any potential issue and take our chances.

This is akin to the different states who may have limits to, and additional driver license requirements, for either weight, or length, of RVs, even for personal use only. Most who first buy a large rig probably have no clue, or knowledge, that one may be required in 'their' state, or wouldn't have any reason to even think there would be. Having an additional license requirement, in itself, doesn't make a driver a 'better' driver, though I suppose it at least shows that someone took the time to do what's needed to get the additional endorsement.
Add to that the fact that when you leave your state, which may not require any additional license endorsement, including any special restrictions on weight, or length, you are then also 'legal' for any other state you pass thru, EVEN IF that state has it's own restrictions that you may have otherwise exceeded.
State authorities provide this 'reciprocity' simply to continue the favorable flow of traffic thru their state, and otherwise don't have any authority to apply their own 'laws' to passing vehicles from other states. I can't imagine the traffic problems that would occur if they did - every out-of-state tag would be a red flag to pull over, measure, weigh, and check driver licenses for.

So, yes, there are laws, and different laws in each different state, many times, and they can sometimes be somewhat confusing - and most anyone here would admit that you should adhere to your state's rules - but most might also agree that 1' extra length, or 100lbs extra weight, etc., are not going to suddenly make you a bad driver, if otherwise you aren't already. It's also doubtful that authorities are sitting on the roadside 'waiting' for someone to come along that is 1' over length, or somehow 'know' they might be 100lbs overweight, etc... they are really concentrating on 'behavior' that looks out-of-place, weaving, speeding, or otherwise something that actually 'looks' dangerous for the public.

It could happen, but it's doubtful, and rare.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 11:22 AM   #7

Friend of mine pulled a 42' Fountain behind his 40' Renegade motorhome all over the country. Accounting for the boat trailer length and hooked up, he must have been at least 90 feet oal.
Other times he had an H2 on a tow bar behind his Renegade and a 20' bass boat hitched to the H2. That outfit looked even longer.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 01:53 PM   #8

Send a message via ICQ to Cover Dog
Quote:
Just having a CDL does not make you stop at weigh stations. I am a retired semi driver and still hold a CDL with hazmat-tanker / double- triple endorsement and since I am not towing commercially I do not need to stop.

NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA #455593, WIT #170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 02:17 PM   #9

Why are we guessing about permitted length?

https://www.rvia.org/system/files/me...V%20Length.pdf

CDL does not apply.

-- Chuck
Old 08-26-2019, 02:20 PM   #10
clr

Coverdog I agree with your statement about not needing to stop at weigh stations just because you hold a CDL license. But while I was arguing with the Secretary of State drivers license folks about the class of license I needed to pull my 5th wheel in the state. The SOS people did state directly to me that if you have a CDL license and are towing in Illinois that it is the law that you stop and be weighted. There were 3 of the blue shirt SOS state police there at the time and they did not comment, so I took this as law. If this is true in Illinois I have never hear of this being enforced. But also you can not believe much of what the SOS folks tell you here either. They said that I could drive any thing legally with a class D license here. When I called the brown shirt real State Police they stated that ALL licenses in Illinois were by weight class, so if I pulled a 5th wheel over 10,000 pounds (and I do) that I required a class A Non-CDL license. The SOS folks even insisted that there was no such thing as a Non CDL class A license. They were of course wrong and I now have a Non CDL class A license in my wallet.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:29 PM   #11
TRN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post

https://www.rvia.org/system/files/me...V%20Length.pdf

CDL does not apply.

-- Chuck
I wasn't guessing, I had looked them up and was simply trying to determine how, and how often they are being enforced? Based on my own observation of what rolls in and out of the race tracks that I visit, as well as what I see on the highway, I'm guessing not often but thought I'd ask of the group that has many miles on the road.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:59 PM   #12

No Sweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRN View Post
My current setup is a Dynamax DX3 (39') and open trailer for my race car. This setup is less than 65', which is the max allowable length in many states. I'm thinking about getting an enclosed trailer and have been leaning towards at 20' since this will also keep me under 65' total. However, a 20' enclosed trailer is not ideal, I would much rather go with a 24'. My question is: how often are people getting stopped for being overlength? Or, do you have to be stopped for some other offense, and then can be measured?

What sucks is that quite a few of the race tracks that I want to visit over the next few years are either in states that have length laws of less than 65', or I have to drive through them to get where I'm going.

Just as an aside, weight is not an issue with my setup, 20K towing and 54K GCWR, so a 20-28' trailer is not going to put me anywhere over the weight limit.
I pulled a 30'car trailer, with tongue, = 34' with a 36' DP motor home (total LOA 70' for many years up and down the east coast and as far west as Kansas. Never a second look from any enforcement people. We are the last thing on their minds. Get the trailer you want and enjoy. Be advised; it will take getting use to.

pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 03:05 PM   #13

After talking with several troopers of different states it seems unless you are seen as overweight or doing something stupid they will not bother an RV. Most want you to be in their state and spend money. All said unless you are a resident they don’t care about your license as long as not suspended. CA may be different. All indicated they have more important things to do than randomly check RVers. Only one said they have started to watch RV speed a little more closely— maybe it was GA?
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 03:07 PM   #14

My policy has always been: Don't ask; don't tell. Walking into a licensing office or a DOT office and asking questions is the surest way to start problems. If folks want to feel like OTR truckers with CDL and weighted tags, go for it but be aware it can cause problems. Insurance and taxes spring to mind. But WTH to each his own.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 03:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post

CDL does not apply.

-- Chuck
I wouldn't trust that chart. For California, it's 75' for doubles, not 65'. I had to get a California CDL with a doubles endorsement when we pulled our 28' 5th and 23' boat with a F350 CCLB. We were right at 75' from tv front bumper to the boat prop.

California:
35401. (a) No vehicle combinations may exceed a total length of 65 feet.
(b) (1) A combination of vehicles which consists of a truck tractor, a semitrailer, and a semitrailer or trailer, may not exceed 75 feet, if neither the semitrailers nor the trailer in the combination of vehicles exceeds 28 feet 6 inches.
woo10-210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 03:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Coverdog I agree with your statement about not needing to stop at weigh stations just because you hold a CDL license. But while I was arguing with the Secretary of State drivers license folks about the class of license I needed to pull my 5th wheel in the state. The SOS people did state directly to me that if you have a CDL license and are towing in Illinois that it is the law that you stop and be weighted. There were 3 of the blue shirt SOS state police there at the time and they did not comment, so I took this as law. If this is true in Illinois I have never hear of this being enforced. But also you can not believe much of what the SOS folks tell you here either. They said that I could drive any thing legally with a class D license here. When I called the brown shirt real State Police they stated that ALL licenses in Illinois were by weight class, so if I pulled a 5th wheel over 10,000 pounds (and I do) that I required a class A Non-CDL license. The SOS folks even insisted that there was no such thing as a Non CDL class A license. They were of course wrong and I now have a Non CDL class A license in my wallet.
Same thing I was told at mt DL facility in Illinois. So I didn't purue any further. Still driving my 16,000# 5th wheel with my class D license.
Old 08-26-2019, 04:05 PM   #17
clr

Yep I agree the SOS people in Illinois for the most part have no idea regarding the rules or laws that apply. The troubling thing to me was that the State Police said it makes no difference if the SOS folks are wrong, it is your responsibility to know the law and its application. So I could get a ticket for not having the proper class license. This is true even after I talked to a SOS supervisor who told me the same line. Of course I was never stopped with the class D license so I do not know what would of happened if I had been.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:26 PM   #18

I think the key is how well one can navigate with the extra length. If pulling in for fuel at an in-city gas station and the trailer is still out in the street I think a law enforcement officer will certainly take note. Likewise when going through an intersection and slow traffic causes you to stop with half a trailer still back in the intersection (or more).

If nobody takes notice, doubt seriously you'll see any blue lights behind you.

I seriously doubt any enforcement officer has a calibrated eyeball and if your length isn't causing issues, why would they bother with stopping you. Certainly when they can be stopping people that will prove far more profitable to the "system" than an over-length ticket on an RV.

FWIW, just how many feet will you actually be when length of hitch and bumper overhangs are added in.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 07:30 PM   #19

Quote:
When I called the brown shirt real State Police they stated that ALL licenses in Illinois were by weight class, so if I pulled a 5th wheel over 10,000 pounds (and I do) that I required a class A Non-CDL license.
Scratch Illinois off my travel through list. My meager truck and TT weigh 12,000 lbs combined so I'd probably be illegal.

Then again, I can't see any reason to go through Illinois anyway, especially with their firearm laws. So many other places I can go and enjoy myself.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 08:30 AM   #20
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
< snip >

FWIW, just how many feet will you actually be when length of hitch and bumper overhangs are added in.
Actually, the hitch and bumper should already be added into the total length.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote