Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2013, 05:47 PM   #1

Leveling the 5th Wheel for Towing Comfort

Picked up the new Crusader this week and it was riding about 5" high in front on the initial setup, so we bottomed out the B&W 16K hitch to the lowest setting and adjusted the 5er pin to the highest setting. Bottom line; we're still a couple inches high up front.

I'd love to have it level as possible, but other than upgrading from the 15" wheels to 16s, or swapping out the truck's 20" rims for 18s, (or both) I don't know what else I can do.

Any advice from the experts?

Thanks in advance
'14 nights camped:
Scratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:10 PM   #2

You can have a frame made to lift the trailer or the "axle flip". When I got my new truck in 2008 I had to have my fifth wheel raised by 3 inches to give me a level tow and enough clearance on the truck bed rails to be comfortable. This was done by adding 2"x 3" spacers above the axles. They also added cross braces for stability. I think they did a good job. The entrance to my driveway was pretty narrow so there was a lot of sideways pressure on the structure.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:54 AM   #3

I would bet that you have a four wheel drive pickup? That was a factor when I got a new F250, diesel, CC, longbed, RWD in 2011. I had heard about people having problems with the new 4WD trucks, all of them, not just Fords but Chev/GMC and Rams. When I had the hitch installed and set at the highest level, 18 inches above the bed and the pin box was set at its highest level also, it worked great lots of clearence over the truck and it rides level.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by whj77372 View Post
I would bet that you have a four wheel drive pickup? That was a factor when I got a new F250, diesel, CC, longbed, RWD in 2011. I had heard about people having problems with the new 4WD trucks, all of them, not just Fords but Chev/GMC and Rams. When I had the hitch installed and set at the highest level, 18 inches above the bed and the pin box was set at its highest level also, it worked great lots of clearence over the truck and it rides level.
Yep. Its a 4X4 and it definitely impacts the height of the front of the trailer. I think my only options (both expensive) would be to step up to 16" wheels/rims on the trailer and/or step the tire's rims down from 20" to 18". You can tell from the attached pic how it sits at this point.

I'll let it ride as is until the tires wear out. It drives reasonably enough, but I'd much prefer an even keel...
'14 nights camped:
Old 04-02-2013, 09:35 AM   #5

Mine rides a little high, no negative impacts I've noticed other that looks. Nothing else I can do minus replacing the truck or putting scooter tires on it.... none of which are an option. I would hesitate to lift the trailer. Our 320 is already over 12 feet tall.
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:32 PM   #6
FNG

I've got the same problem. I'm thinking about adding some blocks between the springs and the axles to lift the trailer up a few inches.
fishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:26 PM   #7

I just went from 225 15" to 235 16" and picked up enough lift to level mine out. Here is the difference between the 2:

Old 04-06-2013, 09:51 PM   #8

Scratch, your outfit doesn't look that much out of kilter.
And I imagine you have a spring suspension under your fifth, so that will even out the load on the axles.
I would rather have mine ride a few inches high in the front, than low.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:02 PM   #9
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
Yep. Its a 4X4 and it definitely impacts the height of the front of the trailer. I think my only options (both expensive) would be to step up to 16" wheels/rims on the trailer and/or step the tire's rims down from 20" to 18". You can tell from the attached pic how it sits at this point.

I'll let it ride as is until the tires wear out. It drives reasonably enough, but I'd much prefer an even keel...
Looks pretty level from that angle. How are you determining the level point?
Old 04-06-2013, 10:30 PM   #10

Tough camera angle to reflect the driveway incline. Compare the lower truck frame with the trailer frame.

The rear of the trailer is about even with the truck frame. The front of the trailer sits about two to three inches higher...

I'll try to get a level comparison when I hitch up in a couple weeks prior to the next mini-trip...
'14 nights camped:
Old 04-06-2013, 11:07 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Have you checked the spring mounting shackle on the camper to see if the spring in mounted in the lowest hole as there's sometimes more than one mounting hole.

You said that the hitch is in it's lowest setting and the pinbox is moved all the way up, but it still looks like you have lots of clearance between the truck and camper overhang. You can't more either any more?

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:54 PM   #12

Changing you trailer tires 15" to 16" is only going to gain you 1/2 an inch cause it's overall diameter. Changing your truck tires will be the biggest gain and your tire dealer should be able to tell you how much you are going to gain. Be careful about your tire size as it will throw things out like speedo and eat up clearances in the fenders...make sure there is enough room.

I like the other ideas about spacers or flipping axles. Make sure you have enough room at the back end of the box where the trailer is going to be the closest to touching.

2006 F350 6.0 with 3.73 gears, 4X4, Extra-Cab Long Box, Oil/Tranny/P.S. Coolers. Coolant filter. SCT Livewire.
2011 Cedar Creek 36RE, Auto levelers + too much to list..!
puff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by puff View Post
Changing you trailer tires 15" to 16" is only going to gain you 1/2 an inch cause it's overall diameter.
For the wheel that is correct, but not necessarily the same for the tire. My 16" tires were 3.7 inches taller than the 15" tires I took off.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
Have you checked the spring mounting shackle on the camper to see if the spring in mounted in the lowest hole as there's sometimes more than one mounting hole.

You said that the hitch is in it's lowest setting and the pinbox is moved all the way up, but it still looks like you have lots of clearance between the truck and camper overhang. You can't more either any more?

Dave
Max'd out, Dave. No holes left on the hitch or the pin!! In fact, the pin adjustment left no room to reinstall the pin fairing (fiberglass piece that Crusader puts over the pin box).

Haven't checked the spring mounting shackle. I'll do that next week when I take it out of the storage lot...

I appreciate the picture Helmsey put up. Looks like quite a bit of difference between those 15s and 16s. That might do the trick. Really don't want to swap out the truck 20s for 18s unless I have to...
'14 nights camped:
Old 04-07-2013, 07:35 PM   #15

Correct Track II

Here's something that might be worth checking into, although I'm not sure if it will save you any money versus swapping tires (unless you do the install yourself). Although this is an alignment system the shackle kit lifts the trailer 2" according to the dealer I spoke with. There is a dealer locator option at the bottom of the page. Camping World is also a dealer of this product but I found both locations here in the D/FW area to be of little assistance in answering any questions about this product. I was quoted an install price of $1000 this week by a different dealer but that included the laser alignment and labor to install. I'm sure it would be much cheaper if you have to ability to install the shackle kit yourself.
slide5r4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:48 PM   #16

I have 16" tires on the trailer (factory originals) and the hitch as low as it goes, and the pin box as high as it goes. I have about 7 inches of bed clearance. I am about 1-1/2 inches high overall. I have decided that I can live with it... it tows fine and does not look that bad on the road. I am just going to be a little snobby (nose in the air)...
Old 04-07-2013, 07:54 PM   #17

With the trailer about two inches or so high in front, does it place more weight/strain on the trailer's rear axle? I guess that is my major concern...
'14 nights camped:
Old 04-10-2013, 11:22 AM   #18

Quote:
With the trailer about two inches or so high in front, does it place more weight/strain on the trailer's rear axle? I guess that is my major concern...
I think that will really depend on the suspension, the only way to know for sure is a trip to the scales. Have each axle on a different scale pad and that will tell the tale.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:55 PM   #19

. it tows fine and does not look that bad on the road. I am just going to be a little snobby (nose in the air)...[/QUOTE]

LMAO...

2006 F350 6.0 with 3.73 gears, 4X4, Extra-Cab Long Box, Oil/Tranny/P.S. Coolers. Coolant filter. SCT Livewire.
2011 Cedar Creek 36RE, Auto levelers + too much to list..!
puff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:26 PM   #20

Quote:
If you have spring suspension, no.
If you have rubber torsion, yes, although it probably wouldn't be much.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote