Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2020, 12:13 PM   #1

Lightweight motorcycle carrying options

Looking into bringing along my KTM EXC-F 350 on some trips. Approximately 225# dry.

Option 1: Professionally installed 2" receiver on the rear of my 2021 TS33. I realize this has weight implications, changing tongue weight, etc.

Option 2: Installing a new bumper/grille guard on the front of the truck with a 2" receiver (2019 GMC 3500 Duramax). Worried about visibility issues, air flow, etc. with having the bike on the front of the truck.

Any feedback and advice would be appreciated!
kevinstennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 12:28 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinstennes View Post
Looking into bringing along my KTM EXC-F 350 on some trips. Approximately 225# dry.

Option 1: Professionally installed 2" receiver on the rear of my 2021 TS33. I realize this has weight implications, changing tongue weight, etc.

Option 2: Installing a new bumper/grille guard on the front of the truck with a 2" receiver (2019 GMC 3500 Duramax). Worried about visibility issues, air flow, etc. with having the bike on the front of the truck.

Also, I would add that I'm trying to avoid the truck bed--short, too high, and would like to use the bed (which is covered) for dry storage of light goods.
Old 08-28-2020, 12:46 PM   #3
RV There Yet?

you wont notice much weight being removed from the tongue putting the bike on the back of the camper. my very short (21 ft from bumper to tongue) camper with 300 lbs of stuff at the bumper removed 80 lbs from the tongue. you are closer to 40 ft long and dual axles. your bike will be around 250-260 lbs wet, maybe 300 with bags and gear. take your camper to a welding shop and have them make a custom mount and ramp for the back bumper of your camper and reinforce the mounting points. or buy an off the shelf one and do the same, have a welding shop get it installed.

if you want to know how it will affect your hitch weight and handling, add 500 lbs (bike weight and mount weight) of stuff to the back area of your camper and hit the scales. find a few good buddies to stand in the back (after weighing them to get close to 500 lbs) while on the scales. remember to buy them beer and pizza!
Old 08-28-2020, 12:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsleDog View Post
you wont notice much weight being removed from the tongue putting the bike on the back of the camper. my very short (21 ft from bumper to tongue) camper with 300 lbs of stuff at the bumper removed 80 lbs from the tongue. you are closer to 40 ft long and dual axles. your bike will be around 250-260 lbs wet, maybe 300 with bags and gear. take your camper to a welding shop and have them make a custom mount and ramp for the back bumper of your camper and reinforce the mounting points. or buy an off the shelf one and do the same, have a welding shop get it installed.

if you want to know how it will affect your hitch weight and handling, add 500 lbs (bike weight and mount weight) of stuff to the back area of your camper and hit the scales. find a few good buddies to stand in the back (after weighing them to get close to 500 lbs) while on the scales. remember to buy them beer and pizza!
Great info! Yes, I would be having a professional do an installation of a receiver, then buying an "off the shelf" slide in motorcycle carrier with 500# capacity. I won't have any bags or gear on the bike, but you're right, I need to plan on 260# of weight for sure.

thanks!
Old 08-28-2020, 01:08 PM   #5
RV There Yet?

you will also want to take into account how much the carrier and mounting hardware weighs. your bike may be 260 lbs wet, but that carrier and hitch and extra welded on gussets and brackets might be another 200+ on top of your bike weight.
Old 08-28-2020, 01:16 PM   #6

I think I would move the dry goods into the trailer and buy myself a nice long ramp and load the KTM in the bed of the truck.
I have nothing against hitch mounted racks, have used a MotoJack rack and flat channel ramp for years and they very convenient for loading.
Just the idea of my 500EXC bouncing around on the back of a 38' trailer scares the crap out of me. I'm a bit partial to trailers and vans myself.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 01:24 PM   #7

Quote:
you will also want to take into account how much the carrier and mounting hardware weighs. your bike may be 260 lbs wet, but that carrier and hitch and extra welded on gussets and brackets might be another 200+ on top of your bike weight.
Good reminder--yes, there will be a solid 450 lbs or so in total
Old 08-28-2020, 01:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtBiker View Post
I think I would move the dry goods into the trailer and buy myself a nice long ramp and load the KTM in the bed of the truck.
I have nothing against hitch mounted racks, have used a MotoJack rack and flat channel ramp for years and they very convenient for loading.
Just the idea of my 500EXC bouncing around on the back of a 38' trailer scares the crap out of me. I'm a bit partial to trailers and vans myself.
Yes, I agree, part of me doesn't like the thought of the bike bouncing around back there without any eyeballs on it. My truck is a short bed, which makes it a bit more challenging to haul the bike, but it is do-able.
Old 08-28-2020, 01:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Yes, I agree, part of me doesn't like the thought of the bike bouncing around back there without any eyeballs on it. My truck is a short bed, which makes it a bit more challenging to haul the bike, but it is do-able.
If you have a short bed (5.5' right?), will your bike even fit in the back with the tail gate up? My WR250R certainly won't in mine, and I think they're similar sizes, just mine's a bit bloated. LOL. If it doesn't and you need the tail gate down to transport, can you keep it down and still tow your trailer? Personally I think getting a bike in and out of a bed of a pickup is a drag. If it were me, I'd be much more keen to find a storage system on the back of the trailer... Or consider getting a toy hauler!
GravelRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 01:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelRider View Post
If you have a short bed (5.5' right?), will your bike even fit in the back with the tail gate up? My WR250R certainly won't in mine, and I think they're similar sizes, just mine's a bit bloated. LOL. If it doesn't and you need the tail gate down to transport, can you keep it down and still tow your trailer? Personally I think getting a bike in and out of a bed of a pickup is a drag. If it were me, I'd be much more keen to find a storage system on the back of the trailer... Or consider getting a toy hauler!
I just ordered a trailer that I haven't even picked up yet, so a toy hauler is out of the question! I also have a family of 6, so don't like the room that the "garage" takes up inside a toy hauler, or the extra expense of the toy hauler.

My GMC shortbed is a 6.75' bed I think. The KTM doesn't fit in there straight loaded with the tailgate up, but can fit it in at an angle, I believe, and close the tailgate.

I'm leaning toward a rear mount, but probably have until next spring to get it all figured out!
Old 08-28-2020, 01:58 PM   #11

Quote:
I just ordered a trailer that I haven't even picked up yet, so a toy hauler is out of the question! I also have a family of 6, so don't like the room that the "garage" takes up inside a toy hauler, or the extra expense of the toy hauler.

My GMC shortbed is a 6.75' bed I think. The KTM doesn't fit in there straight loaded with the tailgate up, but can fit it in at an angle, I believe, and close the tailgate.

I'm leaning toward a rear mount, but probably have until next spring to get it all figured out!
I understand completely. I'm a family of six as well. I'd like to get a toy hauler in the future once my kids are all grown up and out of the house.

Oh yeah, 6.75' should fit in just fine. My Ford short bed is 5.5" in the half ton. My next truck is going to be a 3/4 or 1 ton with an 8' bed.

How old are your oldest kids? If you've got a couple of teenagers to help wrangle the bike, putting it in the back doesn't sound too bad. Otherwise if it's just you, that's a chore, even with a long ramp.
GravelRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 01:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelRider View Post
Oh yeah, 6.75' should fit in just fine. My Ford short bed is 5.5" in the half ton. My next truck is going to be a 3/4 or 1 ton with an 8' bed.

How old are your oldest kids? If you've got a couple of teenagers to help wrangle the bike, putting it in the back doesn't sound too bad. Otherwise if it's just you, that's a chore, even with a long ramp.
I have a 15 year old and 12 year old (oldest two). They're plenty of help. That's a good option if I go that route!
Old 08-29-2020, 10:07 AM   #13

I use a joe hauler carrier and it’s great but a couple issues.

1. Motorcycle carriers sit pretty far back. This multiplies the weight stress on the hitch. Your hitch will have to be at least capable of 500 lbs tongue weight back there. They tend to bounce a lot too.

2. You can’t see the bike when traveling. If it loosens up or has an issue, you won’t know.
deepseadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 11:29 AM   #14

Quote:
I have a 15 year old and 12 year old (oldest two). They're plenty of help. That's a good option if I go that route!
Where do you keep the kids bikes? I could have never gotten away without bringing my daughters dirt bikes if we went camping.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 12:07 PM   #15
Brake is on left

While a front hitch would be nice, it may obscure the headlights. Cooling flow should be ok though. I thought about the front mount option myself but the bike (400 XCW) blocked the headlights partially.
Just food for thought.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 02:58 PM   #16

Front Mount

Quote:

This is my solution for my scooter. You could mount bike closer to grill. No problems with air flow or visibility. I needed to space it UP so the scooter lift would work properly.
Good luck. Watch for dips exiting driveways
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	05355A4A-947C-425C-8C8D-547D67A5E724.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	395.2 KB
ID:	237946   Click image for larger version

Name:	53C09EA2-A397-4751-A289-115638CD0FF7.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	240.9 KB
ID:	237947  
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 03:17 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqparalegal1 View Post
This is my solution for my scooter. You could mount bike closer to grill. No problems with air flow or visibility. I needed to space it UP so the scooter lift would work properly.
Good luck. Watch for dips exiting driveways
Does this affect airbag activation if you have a frontal collision?
Are you within front axle weight ratings?
Old 08-29-2020, 03:32 PM   #18

Front or rear?

Quote:
you wont notice much weight being removed from the tongue putting the bike on the back of the camper. my very short (21 ft from bumper to tongue) camper with 300 lbs of stuff at the bumper removed 80 lbs from the tongue.
I had the same experience with my 300 plus lb motorscooter on a custom welded frame hitch. Less than a hundred pounds tongue weight difference on my 28ft TT. I was actually expecting worse..

Front hitch is something I've wanted for parking and maneuvering at home, but visibility and headlight blockage issues for a bike would depend on the shape of the bike and how it aligned in the front.
jjuscg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 04:38 PM   #19

Bike rack

I tried the bike rack on a front rack. Even there it bounced w/ a 2" hitch and excellent rack. I never got used to looking around the bike driving. I would go w/ a custom rear hitch, if you have heavy enough trailer frame to mount to. Also, that would allow you to get the bike off easier to explore an area when you are just stopping for the night.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 09:46 AM   #20
First Rate Primate

Have you considered hauling it on the tongue of the trailer? You have plenty of tongue weight capacity on that 3500.

A buddy of mine hauls his Alta on a rack he made and mounted to the rounge of his TT. He pulls it with a tiny SUV.
Grape Ape is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, motorcycle, weight