Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2021, 09:57 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 7
Load Range E Tire Pressure

Just put some load range E tires on my Ford Expedition. Pulling a 36' travel trailer and seeing what the recommended PSI for them. Both when not pulling a trailer and when pulling the camper. Right now got them at 50psi with day to day driving. Says they can be inflated to 80psi on the side walls.
Lusson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 10:02 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
007matman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2,309
Most your manufacturers have a chart based on load and make/model.

Otherwise, start with what's on the truck and do the chalk test.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 08:37 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,133
Correct pressure is determined by tire size and load. I would bump the rear up to 65 when towing until you can run it across the scales and see what the axle weights are.
__________________

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 08:47 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 513
i run tire pressure that is on door of vehicle . towing , not towing ,etc. loaded heavy , not heavy. chev. 2500 ltz, duramax, factory curt ball.29 ft. toyhauler, can am slyder in box, and a 17.5 boat, in tow. perfect tire wear this truck and my worthless 2008 ford f250 6.4 turbo diesel. michelin tires on both .
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 09:13 AM   #5
Wanderluster
 
JACA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: IL
Posts: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
Most your manufacturers have a chart based on load and make/model.

Otherwise, start with what's on the truck and do the chalk test.
Totally agree with using your specific tire manufacturer's load/inflation chart. Once you change out your tires from the OEM tires that the factory put on, the sticker on the drivers side door jamb is no longer accurate. I'm not saying it's no good - just that different tire sizes and load ratings will change the actual recommended tire pressures. You probably won't go wrong using the sticker PSI recommendations, but you could also do some research and do it right.

For example, the sticker on my daily driver SUV says 35PSI all around - for the stock tire size of P275/70R16, Load Index 114 - Max load is 2601 lbs@44PSI. However, years ago, I replaced the stock tires with LT285/75R16, Load Index 126, Load Range E - Max load is 3750 lbs@80PSI.

I typically haul a lot of cargo and/or pull a trailer with this truck. So, it would not be good to simply put 35PSI in those tires. The Bridgestone load/inflation table/chart tells me that, based on my actual vehicle/axle weights, I should put 44PSI in my tires. I have also used the chalk test to confirm.

This takes a little bit of research, but it will make your tires last a long time, and have a comfortable and safe ride. Using this method, I get over 100,000 miles from a set of tires (Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo). BTW, I have over 325,000 miles on my truck.
__________________
John and Anita (Both Retired US Army/Law Enforcement)
Dynaquest 340XL (AKA Mobile Command Post)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
www.instagram.com/operation.wanderlust
JACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 09:16 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 7
Door Tag Garbage

Yeah I've had people say do what is on the door tag. But my Expedition uses normally Highway tires and tells me to only inflate to 35psi which I know changing to Load Range E tires that isn't gonna work.

I did go over the scale on my old set of tires and I was at 3400 in the front axle and 4400 on the rear axle. Thinking that may not change much but getting the camper tonight and may weigh it again to double check.

Right now running 50psi and may bump up to 65psi.
Lusson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 09:19 AM   #7
Wanderluster
 
JACA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: IL
Posts: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusson View Post
Yeah I've had people say do what is on the door tag. But my Expedition uses normally Highway tires and tells me to only inflate to 35psi which I know changing to Load Range E tires that isn't gonna work.

I did go over the scale on my old set of tires and I was at 3400 in the front axle and 4400 on the rear axle. Thinking that may not change much but getting the camper tonight and may weigh it again to double check.

Right now running 50psi and may bump up to 65psi.
What make/model/size tires do you have? Should be able to pull up the manufacturer's load/inflation table for those, and use your front/rear axle weights to find the correct tire pressures.
__________________
John and Anita (Both Retired US Army/Law Enforcement)
Dynaquest 340XL (AKA Mobile Command Post)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
www.instagram.com/operation.wanderlust
JACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 09:21 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACA View Post
What make/model/size tires do you have? Should be able to pull up the manufacturer's load/inflation table for those, and use your front/rear axle weights to find the correct tire pressures.
Michelin Defender LT275/65R18E D LTX
Lusson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 09:40 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,018
Using the door sticker as a starting point is a good idea. That tire can carry 3417lbs x 2 at 80psi, so you need to weigh the truck rear axle, loaded and unloaded to determine what psi you should use. Of course, you should never exceed your RAWR.
__________________
--2005 F350 Superduty Crewcab, 6.0, 4wd, short bed, 3.73 gears;
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 09:42 AM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyg View Post
Using the door sticker as a starting point is a good idea. That tire can carry 3417lbs x 2 at 80psi, so you need to weigh the truck rear axle, loaded and unloaded to determine what psi you should use. Of course, you should never exceed your RAWR.
3480 Axle Weight for both front and rear Unloaded

Loaded with 7000lbs Travel Trailer and WDH
Front Axle 3480lbs
Rear Axle 4310lbs
Lusson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 09:44 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
007matman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2,309
In my experience, the load range "E" tires have stiffer sidewalls and therefore will likely require less PSI.

Check the tire chart to see what the manufacturer recommends. Then honestly not it was me I'd check it with the chalk test and fine tune from there.

Also, I'd get the trailer hooked up and run the chalk test again at full load.

I once bought a set of new tires for my Escalade and then embarked on a 4000 mile trip. Half way through I noticed edge wear on the new tires. Turns out that max sidewall pressure was required when I was towing to prevent it. Yes, they were "P" tires and not LT's like you have here so that'll be a favor for you here as well. I'm betting it's higher than your BAU use. Probably not max sidewall.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 09:48 AM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 7
Yes plan on doing the Chalk test tonight and see how it rolls with the camper hooked up. Starting at 75psi and going down from there.
__________________
2016 Ford Expedition EL Super Duty
2021 36' Forest River Salem Travel Trailer
Big Trailer for Family of 8
That's right Go big or go home.
Lusson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 04:26 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusson View Post
Michelin Defender LT275/65R18E D LTX
Call Michelin with the TV's axle weights and they will tell u on the phone.....good people, great tires!
RET.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 06:04 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,133
At 50 you are rated at a 5K axle weight and at 65 a 6K axle weight. I wouldn't use any more than 60 if they were my tires.
__________________

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 07:55 AM   #15
"Curmudgeon"
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Zebulon, NC, NC
Posts: 237
Send a message via MSN to Trawlerphil Send a message via Yahoo to Trawlerphil
Here's what I got back from Michelin on my load range E tires:
Michelin Tire Pressures
For daily driving with tire size LT275/65R20 tires on your Tundra, we recommend 40 psi front and 45 psi rear. Pressures should be checked when the tires are cold.

Additional psi would be calculated depending on the amount of tongue weight added to the vehicle when towing the trailer. The rear axle would need to be weighed without the trailer attached and with the trailer attached then adjust the psi accordingly. Following is the load/psi chart for tire size LT275/65R20 LRE:

2080 lbs @ 35 psi
2280 lbs @ 40 psi
2475 lbs @ 45 psi
2680 lbs @ 50 psi
2850 lbs @ 55 psi
3030 lbs @ 60 psi
3195 lbs @ 65 psi
3375 lbs @ 70 psi
3540 lbs @ 75 psi
3750 lbs @ 80 psi
__________________
_____________________
TrawlerPhil
2014 Flagstaff Classic Ultralite 8528RKWS
2018 F-150 4X4 Max tow EcoBoost 3.5
2020 Tesla Model Y
Trawlerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 03:18 PM   #16
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trawlerphil View Post
Here's what I got back from Michelin on my load range E tires:
Michelin Tire Pressures
For daily driving with tire size LT275/65R20 tires on your Tundra, we recommend 40 psi front and 45 psi rear. Pressures should be checked when the tires are cold.

Additional psi would be calculated depending on the amount of tongue weight added to the vehicle when towing the trailer. The rear axle would need to be weighed without the trailer attached and with the trailer attached then adjust the psi accordingly. Following is the load/psi chart for tire size LT275/65R20 LRE:

2080 lbs @ 35 psi
2280 lbs @ 40 psi
2475 lbs @ 45 psi
2680 lbs @ 50 psi
2850 lbs @ 55 psi
3030 lbs @ 60 psi
3195 lbs @ 65 psi
3375 lbs @ 70 psi
3540 lbs @ 75 psi
3750 lbs @ 80 psi

So in my setup it is 3340lbs rear Axle with no trailer and 4400lbs rear Axle with the trailer. So I'm not sure what you would recommend then with your chart above.
__________________
2016 Ford Expedition EL Super Duty
2021 36' Forest River Salem Travel Trailer
Big Trailer for Family of 8
That's right Go big or go home.
Lusson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 05:59 PM   #17
"Curmudgeon"
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Zebulon, NC, NC
Posts: 237
Send a message via MSN to Trawlerphil Send a message via Yahoo to Trawlerphil
Drop a dime on Michelin--You might need a higher load range...
__________________
_____________________
TrawlerPhil
2014 Flagstaff Classic Ultralite 8528RKWS
2018 F-150 4X4 Max tow EcoBoost 3.5
2020 Tesla Model Y
Trawlerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 06:28 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,133
His chart does not apply to your tires.
__________________

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 11:19 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Lins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Yellowknife
Posts: 1,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
His chart does not apply to your tires.
Most charts are identical. You can thank physics.
__________________
2007 Rockwood 2701SS
2017 Ram 2500 Granite Crystal SAP Laramie 6.7L
2014 Triumph Bonneville. NH Togas, tuned
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 11:23 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Lins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Yellowknife
Posts: 1,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusson View Post
So in my setup it is 3340lbs rear Axle with no trailer and 4400lbs rear Axle with the trailer. So I'm not sure what you would recommend then with your chart above.
4400lbs/2=2200 lbs per tire when towing. You need to find your tire size in the load and inflation chart to see what PSI is needed for your tire size and weight loading.
__________________
2007 Rockwood 2701SS
2017 Ram 2500 Granite Crystal SAP Laramie 6.7L
2014 Triumph Bonneville. NH Togas, tuned
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
pressure, tire

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:28 AM.