Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2020, 07:33 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by llr View Post
I don't believe the dually is available in a short bed
Good point and you are correct, not enough room for dallies on a short bed.
skipatroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 09:14 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky53 View Post
The dually Ram 3500 Mega Cab has a 6'4" bed.
He's ordering a Ford not a Ram
koller1509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 10:17 PM   #23

F450 comes with 8' bed and I love it . Turns better than my F150 did I love it, but I didn't like the 95k I paid for it. ouch!
DAHVGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 11:59 PM   #24

Problem with long bed is parking. I prefer a slide on my hitch.
Big bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 12:19 AM   #25

Agree completely. If you want a TRUCK, get a TRUCK!!!
1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500
Oregonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 01:09 AM   #26

Long VS Short

I had the same question when I bought my F-350. I went w/ the long for 3 reasons.
1. More stable when pulling and rides better- more so w/ a 1 ton.
2. I can have a full size tool box w/o using a slider.
3. The 48 gallon tank when towing. I can pull 450 + miles w/o stopping in a fuel station w/ trailer.
Besides, I have lost a few pounds walking across the parking lot from where I park. But I always parked away from ours anyway. You get used to it after a while. Every body has a different option
I am also retired and no longer have to park it in a downtown parking garage.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 05:27 AM   #27

Go cab and chassis and put an aluminum flat bed with underbody boxes. Hooking and unhooking are a bitch with a dually bed no matter who makes it. As you get older hooking is harder everyday. Pluss you don't have to worry about smashing up a tailgate
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	w-640xh-480xq-95_Image_68643428.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	241724  
Smoker 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 06:52 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by star52656 View Post
Ordered a 2021 F350 DRW. Production start is November 1st. It is also my daily driver. Can't decide if I want Long or Short. I have a 6.75 box on my F250 and Pullrite Super Glide. Will be pulling a 40 foot 16,000 5th wheel
You will need the long bed simply due to the pin weight on your 5th wheel. I would also suggest that you add the factory 5th wheel and gooseneck prep package, it’s not that expensive ($250 if memory serves) and the hitch for that system drops right in without having to drill lots of holes in the frame of the truck so that frame rails for the hitch can be installed.

It’s what I got when I ordered my F-350, a heads up when it comes to the rear differential gearing is that you’ll be lucky to get 17 mpg highway (unloaded and not towing anything) with the 3.73:1 gears, the 3.31:1 gears will get at least 20mpg highway at 74mph and not towing anything.

When I’m on a trip with my 5er I’m lucky to get 10mpg @65 mph, and it weighs just under 10K loaded and with a full tank of water. These numbers are based on the 6.7L powerstroke engine with the 6 speed transmission, I haven’t talked to anyone with the new 7.3L gas engine and the 10 speed transmission yet.
Lighting546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 08:59 AM   #29

Why have a short bed?

Nothing wrong with a shortbed as long as using the right setup. A sidewinder allows for more room for turning than a 8' bed with a fixed hitch. Backing into my drive is a tight chore so having the SB with Sidewinder makes it easy since I can go up to 100* while backing. I used to have a Dually, big sob, never had problems parking it, but I also never really used the full bed either. I have a flatbed for long materials that is much easier to use instead, that I can pull with either my F150 or F350, and don't have to remove the 5th wheel or topper.

Anyway, OP Enjoy your new truck when you get it, would love me a new dually myself, just can't afford one ATM.
Bhrava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 09:06 AM   #30

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I have a Short Bed F 350 SRW 4 x 4. Next truck will be a Long Bed most likely dually. The payload number are approaching 5,000 lbs on SRW, last one I looked tat was 4860 lbs CCC. Next thing to consider to reduce truck length is a cab and half instead of a crew cab. They will make them but resale is tough on them.

I have a standard hitch in the pucks in bed. Use a Sidewinder too. 18,000 lbs on it works great!
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 09:40 AM   #31

LONG

A long bed is by far more stable on the road when your towing..hands down ...it keeps the tail from wagging the dog...i know from experience...go long friend.
Old 10-23-2020, 10:36 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big bird View Post
Problem with long bed is parking. I prefer a slide on my hitch.
Can you elaborate?

I hear people talk about parking all the time yet I never have found a spot where a short bed would have let me park and my normal 8 bed wouldn't. Have found plenty of spots that wouldn't let me park any truck, but that's different than just a length issue. Sure I have said I wish I didn't go to X big as city with the truck today, should have taken the car, but that more of a height, width, issues then if only I was 18 shorter in length.

I can see if your in a unique situation that doesn't apply to everyone.; home has a short garage, or your in some of those new strip housing developments where your driveway isn't' really even big enough for a car but seriously can't use that advice for everyone.

If your going to pay $$ for a truck you might as well get the whole truck.
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 12:30 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by star52656 View Post
Ordered a 2021 F350 DRW. Production start is November 1st. It is also my daily driver. Can't decide if I want Long or Short. I have a 6.75 box on my F250 and Pullrite Super Glide. Will be pulling a 40 foot 16,000 5th wheel
Long bed for a dually!

You get the maximum payload and stability for the money! Longer the wheal base, better the ride plus you can haul bigger stuff with the long bed! Going to a dually is a huge difference in stability in crosswinds, and overall ride when pulling a heavy load such as yours. You are going to love it pulling your rig!

Our Ram dually is used a daily driver and Wife drives like she stole it! I do reduce the rear drivers from max air to 55-65# when it assumes daily driver status. Smooths the bumps out some when empty. It is wide and long and yes, when parking some adjustments are made, mainly parking out away from the gaggle nearest the door at stores.
2014 Ram 3500 Laramie 4x4, DRW, Cummins H.O., Asian 6sp., 4:10 gears, limited slip.
hotrod6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 11:45 AM   #34

6 foot vs 8 foot bed?

I'm considering the purchase of a medium duty (e.g. RAM 2500 Crew Cab - Diesel) pickup which is available with either a 6 foot or 8 foot bed. While I see many recommendations for the longer bed, it does reduce the tow ratings. I'm considering a moderate size trailer.

Question - If I choose the 6 foot bed, what is the maximum safest overhang (forward of the king pin) from the 5th wheel camper to prevent contact with the cab?

Obviously, the location of the 5th wheel is a critical dimension. I have to assume the rear axle location (which determines the location of the hitch) for the RAM 2500, GMC Sierra 2500 and Chevy Silverado 2500 are all within a few inches of each other.
LeoC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 12:10 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoC4 View Post
I'm considering the purchase of a medium duty (e.g. RAM 2500 Crew Cab - Diesel) pickup which is available with either a 6 foot or 8 foot bed. While I see many recommendations for the longer bed, it does reduce the tow ratings. I'm considering a moderate size trailer.

Question - If I choose the 6 foot bed, what is the maximum safest overhang (forward of the king pin) from the 5th wheel camper to prevent contact with the cab?

Obviously, the location of the 5th wheel is a critical dimension. I have to assume the rear axle location (which determines the location of the hitch) for the RAM 2500, GMC Sierra 2500 and Chevy Silverado 2500 are all within a few inches of each other.
Do yourself a favor and look at 3500's. 2500 diesels are short on payload capacity.
boogiejack75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 12:36 PM   #36

Quote:

Look at an auto-slider hitch like this one:
https://www.etrailer.com/Fifth-Wheel...DM8550034.html
Kcoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 01:06 PM   #37

When I built my garage in 1982 everybody asked how come I was making it so big. Not possible for me to park an 8’ bed truck in it. At 24x24 garage, it is tight with a short bed. Wish I had made it longer!

That being said, I have no issues with my 3500 SWD short bed. There have been sites where I would have had issues getting a long bed in. Not to mention if this is to be a daily driver, parking in parking lots is less of a challenge!
I also agree that if you are looking at 2500 diesel, save yourself the trouble and go to 3500. Besides, a few years down the road when your DW decides she wants more room, maybe you will ONLY need to upgrade the 5er.
dnicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 01:27 PM   #38

Quote:

As mentioned, the real limiting factor is the engine choice. If you plan to tow, don't get a 3/4 ton diesel, you will not have enough payload for a 5th wheel.

As for the rest, a lot depends on the actual trailer itself. With the short bed, even with a sliding 5th wheel hitch there exists a possibility of a cab strike when turning tight with most 5th wheel trailers. If you are looking at a 5th wheel that has a decent set back and angled corners in the nose it greatly reduces the risk of a cab strike.

My F350 has ~37" between the back of the cab and the pin center of the 5th wheel. the width of the trailer is 96" putting it @ 48" center. With a slider hitch that gives 12" of slide, 37+12=49" gives you barely an inch of clearance. The Demco gives 14" and is an auto slider, but is also heavy at ~250 pounds. It is also recommended to have at least 4" of clearance between cab and trailer. The Demco would only give me 3". I went with a Sidewinder pinbox which gave me 11" of clearance, 37+22-48=11.

With a Diesel the most a 3/4 ton may have of payload is ~2400 pounds, add people and that hitch and you would be lucky to have 1800 pounds for the pin.

You are better off looking at a 1 ton if you want Diesel, and if you are looking at a short bed, you have options for hitches, but consider the trailer too before you make the final decision. This goes for ANY shortbed truck.
Bhrava is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed