Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2017, 07:11 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowingman View Post
Mine has the switch on the dash to engage 4x4, and manual locking hubs.
Would the shifter have been a deal breaker for you?
Old 01-15-2017, 07:29 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
I have had both, selector switch in the 2010 F250 and the stick in the 2016 F350.

Both work/ed very well.

2010 had auto lock hubs on the front axle, 2016 has manual/free hubs.

For the switch all you need to do is twist it to 4 high/low, front axle will auto lock the hubs and you are in 4X.

Down side is IF the actuator goes out while you are in 4 low it's gonna be a slow drive home.

Shifter, you need to get out lock the hubs then shift to 4 high/low to be in 4X.

During the winter or if and when I am off road I will lock the front hubs so all I need to do is move the stick am I am in 4X.

Why two ways?

So you can have a choice I guess.
My preference is manual hubs and a floor selector with mechanical linkage to the transfer case. Reason being is, the floor selector is mechanically simple (versus electric which can fail) and manual hubs unlocked, render the front end static, that is, nothing is turning but the outer hubs. The universals, axles, ring and pinion and propeller shaft to the transfer case remain stationary and the transfer case is in neutral (to the front diff) as well. Less moving parts, less wear and better fuel mileage and tire wear.

I don't mind locking in hubs. Only takes 30 seconds. I tossed the Ford hubs and purchased a set of Warn Premium hubs. Much stronger and look better too.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 07:41 PM   #43

No, it would not make any difference to me. As long as the 4x4 engages when I want it to, I could care less what system the truck has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Would the shifter have been a deal breaker for you?
mowingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 06:04 AM   #44

The advantages of a electronic transfer case is the available 4wd auto function. I use it a lot and I love it. I'd if Ford has this feature, too, but I would think so. Electronic transfer cases are on the market for years now and I don't know about any problems. Actually I researched for a while, before I was comfortable to buy and I never regretted it.
chrisf65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 12:22 PM   #45

I've had 4 Super Dutys. All have had Electronic Transfer Cases driven a total of 120,000+ miles each without any problems.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, ford, lite