Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2019, 11:00 AM   #21
Always Learning

I had a B&W Companion that I loved. It was mated to their B&W Turnover ball and had a maximum capacity of 20,000 lbs. in my truck.

I bought a 21,000 lbs. fifth wheel (and we ran about that). I wasn't uncomfortable with anything being overloaded. We did it for about 2 months while I got hitches switched out. So I had some truck + seat time with the B&W and my current camper.

I switched to the Andersen because it was rated to 24 or 25,000 lbs.

I torqued it according to the instructions/owners manual and it twisted in the truck bed. I read online that you're supposed to re-torque it after you put weight on it from the camper. I contacted Andersen and they were pretty non-committal about that (e.g. "yeah, you can do that."). Note, this is with the factory spray-in liner.

But the real issue, with a fixed king-pin, a pin-light fifth wheel (only about 15% pin weight), and our truck- the ride was absolutely atrocious. It bounced us so badly in the cab that it aggravated my wife's back pain. On back to back travel days (which are rare for us but were happening at that point), she was literally crying in pain in the passenger seat.

I've read of a few other complaints online now that match our experience- poor ride in the truck with the Andersen.

I also didn't like the extra difficulty in hitching up vs. a traditional fifth wheel. Plus, we had to get within 2" or less with the tailgate to the camper when hitched up. I worried I'd overshoot and would make contact between the two.

The hitch only made it about 4 months before I sold it and went nuts with an upgrade to a TrailerSaver TS3. It's a full air ride hitch.
Old 12-19-2019, 11:22 AM   #22
KSH

Just got my first 5er. Using the Andersen with B&W. Drove it home from the dealer 1200 miles. Pulled great, smooth. No issues so far.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 07:48 PM   #23

2.5 yrs, 16k miles, through the mountains. 14k 5er. No chucking, grease, or extra weight. Easy to install , remove, reinstall.

I have it on a bare painted bed. I marked its location on the bed with a sharpie on the corners. It has never moved after installation.

Very comfortable ride. Very happy with the product.
2011 Starcraft 392BHUw/Andersen No-Sway

chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 09:12 PM   #24

Pullrite Hitch

I currently use the Pullrite Superlite. I own a 2014 F350 DWR 6.7 w/8ft box and tow a 2019 Wolfpack 325Pack13 42' toy hauler and love it. Takes nothing to hook up to it and hit the road. New to towing a 5er so learning to back er up as been a challenge but each time gets easier. As far as the Andersen goes I think it's every bit as good as the Pullrite Superlite I just liked having the ball on the pin box instead of the truck bed. Hope everything works out for you as it has for us.
lookin48197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 09:23 PM   #25

If you already have a gooseneck ball or the puck system in your truck. Check the pin box on the fifth wheel to see if it will except the Reese Goose box. Then all you have to deal with is the ball and tie downs in the bed. Pulls real easy, no bucking, easy on and off of trailer. The price is close to a fifth wheel hitch. Plus you don't have to mess with that hitch when using the truck with out the trailer.
smittyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 09:26 PM   #26

We had that setup with a 6.7L Ford and 20Klb Voltage for a year driving around the country. It was excellent. No problems.

Forgot to mention the bed had a spray-in liner.
Idcruiserman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 10:02 PM   #27

Something else that has not been mentioned here. Since you are lowering the trailer onto a ball, it is impossible to have a "dropped" trailer due to the kingpin not being locked in. Do a search, it doesn't happen often but it does happen.

I use the Andersen mounted on top a bed mat. The mfg does recommend some type of bed liner to resist twisting. I have had to test it with a emergency stop and everything worked as advertised. No movement, no damage.
Old 12-24-2019, 01:39 AM   #28

get-a-goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyboy View Post
If you already have a gooseneck ball or the puck system in your truck. Check the pin box on the fifth wheel to see if it will except the Reese Goose box. Then all you have to deal with is the ball and tie downs in the bed. Pulls real easy, no bucking, easy on and off of trailer. The price is close to a fifth wheel hitch. Plus you don't have to mess with that hitch when using the truck with out the trailer.
X2, 3 if you have other gooseneck trailers, the goosebox is the way to go

RockinH Bill
2019 Silverback 37RTH
2014 Shadow LQ 3 horse select
2015 Ram Laramie DRW
2012 Kaw Concours
Rockinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 11:14 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by srosey View Post
Something else that has not been mentioned here. Since you are lowering the trailer onto a ball, it is impossible to have a "dropped" trailer due to the kingpin not being locked in.
This made me smile. We see at least one gooseneck crop trailer come loose each harvest season when everyone is going full speed and not paying enough attention. Some were high hitched and others weren't locked. They usually bounced off the ball coming out of a rough field.
So we just take the tailgates off the trucks used to go from the fields to the plant now
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 11:47 AM   #30
Pickin', Campin', Mason

One other thing not mentioned about the Andersen... you have to raise the front of the 5th wheel higher to hitch than you would a conventional hitch.

Since the adapter goes beneath the pin box plate and the ball on the hitch sits at the same height as a conventional hitch plate, (for proper bed rail clearance) you have to raise the 5th wheel, the added height of the adapter to get onto the ball.

It's only a couple inches and may not matter to some but for anyone parking under roof for storage... just a consideration.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 11:57 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by srosey View Post
Something else that has not been mentioned here. Since you are lowering the trailer onto a ball, it is impossible to have a "dropped" trailer due to the kingpin not being locked in. Do a search, it doesn't happen often but it does happen.
That's one beauty of an Andersen. It's almost impossible to high hitch one. You can easily see when the adapter is fully seated on the ball, and you can't engage the lock pin if it isn't.
2023 GDRV Reflection 150 226RK
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 12:14 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springerdad View Post
That's one beauty of an Andersen. It's almost impossible to high hitch one. You can easily see when the adapter is fully seated on the ball, and you can't engage the lock pin if it isn't.
The thing about any hitch is that they are all easy to tell if they are connected correctly, but you have to look. But get distracted, miss a step, don't double check, can lead to disaster with any hitch.
Is the Anderson or gooseneck type a little more forgiving? Possibly, but no hitch is fool proof.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 12:20 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Is the Anderson or gooseneck type a little more forgiving? Possibly, but no hitch is fool proof.
True dat.
2023 GDRV Reflection 150 226RK
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 01:59 PM   #34

We have a Curt puck hitch for our gooseneck. https://www.curtmfg.com/gooseneck/oem-puck-system-kits.
Old 12-26-2019, 02:05 PM   #35

So, I suppose that you don't use the chains when doing field work. We had it happen once, husband failed to lock the hitch, but our chains stopped the trailer from leaving the truck. We discovered it was loose very quickly, because we are always checking to see if any of our gooseneck trailers are not trailing right. There is a use for those outside rear view mirrors.
Old 12-26-2019, 02:29 PM   #36

That is exactly what I just installed in my 2500 Chevy. B&W turnover ball goose neck hitch and the Andersen Ultimate!! You will love it!!!
2005 Rockwood 2516G (Sold)
2018 Chevy 2500 6.0 / 4.10's
Anderson15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 08:44 AM   #37

i have the pullrite superlite and love it
just an option
Attached Images

Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey
muddyrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 12:12 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppercatt View Post
We are changing to a 5th wheel and are looking at this hitch set up. Can anyone give us first hand "reviews" on it?
I have Anderson, in my F250, and love it. So easy to install. hangs on wall in garage when not in use. I feel safe with it. I pull a 29ft, fifthwheel.
garyp1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 08:34 AM   #39

Thank-you, everyone for this valuable information. I am planning on upgrading to a 5th wheel. Will definitely try the Anderson hitch out first.
Whispering Pines is offline   Reply With Quote