Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2020, 06:26 PM   #21

I put over 100k on my work truck, same specs as you are looking at. Highway, gravel, no road-it never let me down. I loved that engine even though most of the time it was more than I needed. After I finished with it my outfit kept it in service as a utility unit and it’s still going strong daily. Drove like a dream. If it’s in cherry shape that price probably isn’t out of line, at least where I live. That’s quite a good gain on year/miles/technology seems to me.
Old 06-03-2020, 06:50 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post
I'm not sure why you're so upset. Maybe the reason you received some payload advice is because you mentioned in your first post that 1,000 lbs of payload is more than enough. To many, that would suggest that you may not understand payload very well, even if that's not accurate.

Your trailer has a listed dry weight of over 4,800 lbs, so if you are only 5,600 lbs fully loaded, that's a pretty spartan load-out. Either way, that 5,600 lb trailer would be dropping around 750 lbs onto your hitch. Add 50 lbs for your WDH and that's 800 lbs. You also mention a "we" in discussing your camping habits. But, 1,000 lbs would only allow for 200 lbs to account for you and the other person. That's not likely. It's nearly impossible for 1,000 lbs to be more than enough in this scenario. Thus, even a casual reader may be inclined to offer some payload insights to you based on your casual dismissal of its importance.

With that said, I highly recommend that you check out a Ford forum to learn more about the truck you're interested in. Similarly, if anyone at the Ford forum asks about the merits of a Rockwood trailer, I would send him over here. Different tools for different jobs.

But, in general, the 6.7L PSD is a great engine and it would be paired with one of the best HD transmissions of all time, the 6R140. You can then read volumes about Gas vs Diesel. There are, of course, all of the "you don't need a diesel" threads, too ... as if anything we discuss on here has anything to do with needs!

Good luck.
How about if I say it THIS way: If the payload capacity of this 3/4 ton diesel pickup, AT LEAST MATCHES the payload of my current 1/2 ton gasser that is 12 years older but still pulls the trailer just fine and within limits - then I am covered on payload.

Would that make you happy and convince you that I have considered the payload issue and determined that IN MY CASE it is not a concern?

In my original question, I used "more than 1,000 pounds" as shorthand, based on the belief that just about any 3/4 ton class truck is going to be above that. I was not/am not looking for a truck that is SPECIFICALLY 1,000 pounds

The 5,600 pound loaded trailer weight that I quoted was based on weighing the trailer loaded, on the way to the campground, on an Oregon DOT weigh station scale (they are powered on and functional even when closed).

Would that satisfy you that I had fully considered payload?

You're entitled to your own opinion, but you don't get to make up your own facts.

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 06:52 PM   #23
Life-Long Camper/Boater

Thinking about the F-250 Lariat diesel ehh?

We just bought a 2016 F-350 Lariat Diesel Crew Cab with 6 3/4 bed. The first word that comes to my mind is 'Fantastic'. The 6.7 turbo is the best there ever was for any brand. Quiet and smooth and freaking powerful but in a quiet luxury disguise. Previously we had a 2005 3/4 6.0 turbo diesel that had all the power I needed to pull our 35' 5th wheel with a 15' fishing boat as the double tow. but as it got close to 200,000 of Rocky Mountain pulling it got to the point if I didn't do a "Bullet Proof" overhaul I would have more rides home on a tow truck. But we loved that 2005 ford so much my wife insisted we stay with Ford so we settled on the 2016 F-350 with 48k miles for about $45K. I love the Ford F-350 but my wife is obsessed with it. Maybe some people think it has too much power and too much luxury and is too much enjoyment for us in our mid 60's - but to heck with them all - We love our 2016 Lariat F-350 and it is the flagship of our plans in retirement.
Paul, South Jordan, Utah.
Paul and Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 08:46 PM   #24

I have a 2015 F350 with the 6.7 and also a 2001 F250 with the 7.3. I own diesels because I need them for what I tow. I love them both, but if I could get by with an F150, I would. Lot less to worry about with a gas motor. The newer diesels are great but come with higher fuel costs, maintenance costs and repair costs with the new emissions requirements. Oil change is over $100 at a dealer and are done at around 10k miles. Fuel filters are done every other oil change and are also over $100 at a dealer. A new dpf is $3500 just for the part and over time it will need replacing. With what you described as the trailer you tow and the fact that the truck could sit for a month, I would stick with gas. You aren't looking for new, but if you start "browsing" again, a newer used F150 with the 3.5 Eco boost would bring a smile to your face, cost less to purchase than the diesel, and be cheaper to own in the long run. Good luck.
Old 06-03-2020, 10:27 PM   #25

I owned a 2016 F 350 SWD I enjoyed the truck I think it’s a high price but if well maintained should be great truck.

I don’t know the people but I think I saw basically same truck posted for sale on this forum but I think half the miles.
Old 06-04-2020, 02:40 AM   #26

Someone may have offered but the payload is in the 3000 to 4000 lb range. 2016 Ford 6.7 is typically a good engine.
Much improved over the previous 2 incarnations. I believe Ford is building their own engines again.
YMMV, but that truck wont ride all that bad, and it will be a relaxed feeling tow vehicle for even a very large trailer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf View Post
I was idly surfing the web this afternoon, and ran across the following truck at a local dealer:

2015 F250 Lariat Crew Cab 6 3/4 bed
101,000 miles
6.7L Diesel
4x4
10,000lb GVWR pkg
3.55 Electronic Locking axle
Lariat Ultimate pkg
and some other assorted options

I don't really need a diesel - or a 3/4 ton either, for my little bitty trailer. But they have it listed at $37k and I am pretty sure I could get it for ~$33k-ish.

Wondering if anyone here has a rig like this? I don't have any experience with modern diesels & have no idea if that's a good one, what the maintenance costs would be, what to look for and/or look out for.

I haven't seen the payload sticker yet, but if it's over 1,000 lbs it would be more than I need. I can't see the payload being less than my current truck.

Thanks for sharing your experience!
JRBME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 09:22 AM   #27
Grammar Pedant

Quote:
How about if I say it THIS way: If the payload capacity of this 3/4 ton diesel pickup, AT LEAST MATCHES the payload of my current 1/2 ton gasser that is 12 years older but still pulls the trailer just fine and within limits - then I am covered on payload.

Would that make you happy and convince you that I have considered the payload issue and determined that IN MY CASE it is not a concern?

In my original question, I used "more than 1,000 pounds" as shorthand, based on the belief that just about any 3/4 ton class truck is going to be above that. I was not/am not looking for a truck that is SPECIFICALLY 1,000 pounds

The 5,600 pound loaded trailer weight that I quoted was based on weighing the trailer loaded, on the way to the campground, on an Oregon DOT weigh station scale (they are powered on and functional even when closed).

Would that satisfy you that I had fully considered payload?

You're entitled to your own opinion, but you don't get to make up your own facts.
I'm not sure why you're so upset and yelling. I'll try to clarify. You seemed incredulous and offended that bikendan would have offered payload advice ... to the point of questioning the utility of even participating here.

I'm merely offering some rationale of why bikendan may have given you such advice. While you may be quite knowledgeable about payload, your OP suggested otherwise with a very flippant and obviously incorrect assertion that literally anything over 1,000 lbs would be more than enough. It's not. While you probably meant that you don't need any additional payload over your current 1/2 ton truck, that's not what you said. What you said naturally invites people like bikendan to offer you insight, since your OP was clearly off the mark.

I'm not challenging anything you are doing or suggesting anything about you, your knowledge, or your setup. I used only your own supplied data to illustrate why a person like bikendan might have concluded that you are short-selling payload.

Perhaps the various crises in our society have you anxious. Breathe. Nobody is out to get you here.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 10:29 AM   #28

I disagree with what you said 6L748. He never asked about payload. The reply you are protecting is not of any help. You will notice he is always obsessed with his high payload F150. It comes up all the time. I don’t think anyone cares about what he bought or owns. When you go for the max out of 1/2 ton then you are always maxed out on everything on that truck as far as drivetrain is concerned.
Some people are so obsessed with what they did for a living and even where did it they must show that too. If one cannot answer or help the OP then just pass.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 10:35 AM   #29

Quote:
I was idly surfing the web this afternoon, and ran across the following truck at a local dealer:

101,000 miles
6.7L Diesel
4x4
10,000lb GVWR pkg
Lariat Ultimate pkg

I don't really need a diesel - or a 3/4 ton either, for my little bitty trailer. But they have it listed at $37k and I am pretty sure I could get it for ~$33k-ish.

Wondering if anyone here has a rig like this? I don't have any experience with modern diesels & have no idea if that's a good one, what the maintenance costs would be, what to look for and/or look out for.

I haven't seen the payload sticker yet, but if it's over 1,000 lbs it would be more than I need. I can't see the payload being less than my current truck.

Don't feed the payload police.....lesson learned.

To answer your question, I have a 17 F250, but the powertrain is basically the same as the 15 with a few tweaks. Routine Maintenance-wise, Oil changes are more expensive - i pay about $100 at my local dealer for an oil change and tire rotation every 7500 miles. I can change my own oil if I want, but I don't want to mess with 13 qts of oil.
I also have the dealer change my fuel filters every other oil change...so 15k miles. This and the oil change runs about $300. I could do it myself, but don't want the hassle.
I was a first time diesel owner as well, and did lots of research prior to buying. One thing that I do is fill up from high-volume stops, which can be more pricey than other fuel stations, as well as using a lubricity additive with each fill up. Some do this and some don't, but a catastrophic failure of the fuel system is quite pricey....so I drain the water separator and add algaecide every month.
I have 64K miles on mine, and no issues other than a NOx sensor at 5k miles. There are lots of forum posts of these motors going a lot of miles with proper care. The biggest issue i would have with the one you are considering is a lack of history on it. If you do consider it, I'd take it to an independent diesel mechanic for a going over.
Old 06-04-2020, 10:39 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircommuter View Post
When you go for the max out of 1/2 ton then you are always maxed out on everything on that truck as far as drivetrain is concerned.
This guy gets it. An F150 with a 1900# payload capacity running at 1800# is not remotely close to an F250 with a 2K payload running at 2200.
Old 06-04-2020, 11:02 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxdad View Post
Don't feed the payload police.....lesson learned.

To answer your question, I have a 17 F250, but the powertrain is basically the same as the 15 with a few tweaks. Routine Maintenance-wise, Oil changes are more expensive - i pay about $100 at my local dealer for an oil change and tire rotation every 7500 miles. I can change my own oil if I want, but I don't want to mess with 13 qts of oil.
I also have the dealer change my fuel filters every other oil change...so 15k miles. This and the oil change runs about $300. I could do it myself, but don't want the hassle.
I was a first time diesel owner as well, and did lots of research prior to buying. One thing that I do is fill up from high-volume stops, which can be more pricey than other fuel stations, as well as using a lubricity additive with each fill up. Some do this and some don't, but a catastrophic failure of the fuel system is quite pricey....so I drain the water separator and add algaecide every month.
I have 64K miles on mine, and no issues other than a NOx sensor at 5k miles. There are lots of forum posts of these motors going a lot of miles with proper care. The biggest issue i would have with the one you are considering is a lack of history on it. If you do consider it, I'd take it to an independent diesel mechanic for a going over.
Thank you for your insight.

It looks like this one is going to be a non-starter anyway. I spent a big part of Tuesday and yesterday texting back and forth with the "Internet Sales Manager", and unless something changes, I'm thinking that he's a little (lot) too "used car salesman" for me to waste my time with.

Some actual text messages from him:
  • "Yes, we still have that truck, but another guy is interested, so you will want to get down here quick to look at it. When can you get here?"
  • "I just heard from the other guy & he is going to be here to look at it at 1:00 - can you get here by noon?"
  • "The other guy came by, and he is REALLY interested. He left to try to line up financing though, so you still have a shot if you hurry"
  • "Oh, and he offered asking price, so if you want it you will need to be above that"
  • etc, etc, etc

Basically, the guy is so full of crap I would have to force feed him some Happy Camper just to be able to tolerate being around him

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 01:21 PM   #32

Quote:

101,000 miles
6.7L Diesel
4x4
10,000lb GVWR pkg
Lariat Ultimate pkg

Im not sure why folks were hung up on the 1000 pounds of payload. I got your comment right away, you were stating sarcastically that as long as it was at least over 1000 pounds it would probably suit your needs.

So I read your last post, basically your bailing on it because the hgh presuure salesman. But for giggles, what if such a deal raises its haed again. Its only logical to look at upgrade when you have an older vehicle with high mileage.

I do not own Ford, but A ram, but my Son has an f350 dually with the 6.7 he bought new in 2017. He ripped the bed off it and put a welding rig on it because he is a pipeline welder. I know its a drw and not a srw so Ill not get into ride comparison, but it has held up mechanically extremely well na dhe really is fairly hard in it. Lots of idle time, in mud and water pretty often with it getting to sites. Somtimes getting drug in behind dozers. It has held up well.

The cp-4 fuel pump is standard on all new disels from the big 3 now, however Ram just switched over. The cp-3 was a much more reliable design and is in Ram up until 2018.

As for reliability and maintenance, so far for me, it has been a wash. I have not really spent much more money maintaing my 3500 diesel truck in the 1.5 years I have had it vs the 2500 gas version of the same truck.
Diesel is More expensive, but better fuel economy partially offsets that. Many folks rave about how much easier it is to fuel diesels on the longer trips because of truck stops, but I never really had much issue fueling the gasser when we were camping with it.

The ride of the HD trucks are definitley harsher but not aginizingly so. We went from a 2013 f-150 ecobost to a Ram 2500 new in 2016 and really it was just different, not really that much worse.

I dunno, just some food for thought if such a chance comes your way again.
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 03:10 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxdad View Post
Don't feed the payload police......

After being on a few forums I've come to the conclusion to ignore them, modern day version of chicken little.
Mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 11:38 PM   #34

Quote:
Thank you for your insight.

It looks like this one is going to be a non-starter anyway. I spent a big part of Tuesday and yesterday texting back and forth with the "Internet Sales Manager", and unless something changes, I'm thinking that he's a little (lot) too "used car salesman" for me to waste my time with.

Some actual text messages from him:
  • "Yes, we still have that truck, but another guy is interested, so you will want to get down here quick to look at it. When can you get here?"
  • "I just heard from the other guy & he is going to be here to look at it at 1:00 - can you get here by noon?"
  • "The other guy came by, and he is REALLY interested. He left to try to line up financing though, so you still have a shot if you hurry"
  • "Oh, and he offered asking price, so if you want it you will need to be above that"
  • etc, etc, etc

Basically, the guy is so full of crap I would have to force feed him some Happy Camper just to be able to tolerate being around him
Car salesman, hate to deal with them. I would have forced his hand. “I can be there in xx minutes if you accept my $XX offer online.” If not, call me next week when you are ready to sell.

I had a the same 2015 F250, blinged our with the Lariat package. Never an issue and did not drive to rough. I just lowered the tire pressure when not towing.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 06:41 PM   #35

Qkynuf

Wow! What a bunch of feedback! Probably from those Chevy and Dodge guys.

My 2 cents from owning a 2015 F150 pulling a 28' tow along to a 2016 F-250 short bed (also a blinked out Lariat) diesel (6.7) towing a 38' fifth wheel to now a 2019 F-350 dually pulling the same fifth wheel.
No trucks ride as nice as a 150, not even many cars. The 250 will ride stiffer empty but pulled like no tomorrow. Rear spring only dropped about 1" with the 5er hooked up and had no sway whatsoever from passing trucks. Because we started packing everything from compressors to kitchen sinks in the trailer, I started thinking about pin weight and moved up to a dually 350. The new 350 rides about the same as the 250 but actually feels less powerful as it has the same engine and drivetrain but a few more pounds (another blinked out Lariat). But it will run in overdrive up the NC mountains 70 mph all day and at 11 mpg. And on the flats, it's like a Sunday cruise.
Mikolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 06:47 PM   #36

Quote:

101,000 miles
6.7L Diesel
4x4
10,000lb GVWR pkg
Lariat Ultimate pkg

I have the truck in my signature and absolutely love it. Of course mine is a 2wd, but it is also my daily driver. I can highly recommend the brand and the product. The key to these is maintenance. Before you purchase and afterwards. Maintenance is not extremely expensive unless you don’t do it. Mileage is awesome both empty and loaded, but then mine has been “adjusted” as of 80k on the clock. Don’t let the folks who’ve never had one tell you that you don’t want one. I would buy another in a heart-beat if necessary but this one is staying with me.
2011 F250 2WD 6.7L Crew 3:35
Husky Centerline
reevesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 06:56 PM   #37

It’s nice of you to help fund the blue oval while they use your money for testing Diesel engines.
I have been in truck repair business over 50 years and it’s fun to watch and hear the justifications for the one sided loyalty.
Old 06-08-2020, 07:07 PM   #38

air commuter

Not loyalty. I like some Chevy/GMC and Dodges too. Just relaying my experiences with what I have personally owned.

50 years hey! Diesels have changed and I do know a little about them managing a truck fleet of Kenworths and Freightliners. Being old like you, I can say I hated the Cummins 903s in our Coast Guard boats. But the GM 567 in my first ship was built in 1938 and ran perfectly the day I left in 1978 (I know as I was the second engineer). Remember Cooper Bessimer, Fairbanks Morse and Nordbergs?
Mikolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 07:20 PM   #39

i have a blinged out 13 f250 6.7 crew cab 4x4 3.55 with the platinum package. i love it, yeah it doesn't have as much payload as a gasser but i don't plan on buying anything larger than the trailer i have. as my kids get older i plan on downsizing anyways. it has plenty of power to tow, and gets better fuel mileage towing than a gas truck.

i had a 2014 ram 2500 6.4 before this truck. i loved as a daily driver but as a tow vehicle it needed some work. the trans. gearing kinda sucks, it needed more gear in general. i was looking at regearing to 4.56 or 4.88 but stumbled accross this one and made the switch.

make sure your weight numbers are ok and buy what makes you happy.
no one i know has ever complained about having to much power to pull a trailer.
steelhorsecowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 07:23 PM   #40

Thats good you know those old obsolete engines, I remember some of those too. But have you really studied the Ford 6.7? While you disliked that particular Cummins model that doesn’t apply to the modern trucks obviously.
I have helped many fleets own shops when they got into a bind they came to independent shops like mine. I have always owned my shop and now have a home dream shop on 15 acres. While I do all my own work, I prefer restoring older ones now.
Back in the old days I rebuilt, Detroit, Caterpillar, Cummins, Case, Perkins, Deere, Waukesha, Dagenham, Mercedes and Mack. Probably some I don’t remember.

Tags
diesel, f250, ford