Old 06-02-2020, 12:34 AM   #1

Looking for thoughts on a 2015 Ford F250 SD Diesel

I was idly surfing the web this afternoon, and ran across the following truck at a local dealer:

2015 F250 Lariat Crew Cab 6 3/4 bed
101,000 miles
6.7L Diesel
4x4
10,000lb GVWR pkg
3.55 Electronic Locking axle
Lariat Ultimate pkg
and some other assorted options

I don't really need a diesel - or a 3/4 ton either, for my little bitty trailer. But they have it listed at $37k and I am pretty sure I could get it for ~$33k-ish.

Wondering if anyone here has a rig like this? I don't have any experience with modern diesels & have no idea if that's a good one, what the maintenance costs would be, what to look for and/or look out for.

I haven't seen the payload sticker yet, but if it's over 1,000 lbs it would be more than I need. I can't see the payload being less than my current truck.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 02:19 AM   #2
Site Team

I don't see why you would buy a 3/4 ton diesel and not be concerned about payload.
By picking a blinged out Lariat with a diesel engine, you possibly might ensure that its payload won't be much better than your current truck.
The extra weight of the diesel engine and the fancy Lariat stuff, will reduce payload capacity.
I would insist on the seller provide you with a pic of the driver's door yellow sticker Tire and Loading sticker. Post what the payload number off of it.
Personally, unless it had much better payload capacity than my F150 3.5 Ecoboost, I wouldn't bother buying a 3/4 ton diesel fruck.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 07:26 AM   #3

You may be disappointed with how rough that truck would ride, both empty and towing.
Yes, the 6.7 diesel is a monster and will tow anything.
If you have any thoughts about upgrading to a larger RV sometime in the future, then load capacity may become an issue.
But, it is a sweet truck and easy to love.

2015 Wildcat 295RSX
2018 Ford F-350, 4x4, Diesel, CC, Long Bed
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 01:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I don't see why you would buy a 3/4 ton diesel and not be concerned about payload.
By picking a blinged out Lariat with a diesel engine, you possibly might ensure that its payload won't be much better than your current truck.
The extra weight of the diesel engine and the fancy Lariat stuff, will reduce payload capacity.
I would insist on the seller provide you with a pic of the driver's door yellow sticker Tire and Loading sticker. Post what the payload number off of it.
Personally, unless it had much better payload capacity than my F150 3.5 Ecoboost, I wouldn't bother buying a 3/4 ton diesel fruck.
This is the kind of response that it ubiquitous in this forum, and makes me not want to participate. The very first response after my initial post, where I said that payload was not a primary concern for me, criticizes me for not caring about payload.

I didn't *pick out* a "blinged out" truck. I ran across a truck for sale, for what seemed like a decent price, and wondered if there were any known issues or advantages to that particular year/model.

I own a small trailer that is only 7 months old, that we *love*. We have already spent 93 nights in it. We have no intention of getting rid of it anytime soon. I have no interest in a 5th wheel. I have no interest in a massive TT with outside kitchen and 17 slides. I have no interest in a toy hauler. None of those are my thing. I am thrilled that other people like them, but I don't want one.

So my little 21 foot trailer tows just fine behind my "blinged out" 2003 F150 Lariat FX4 - which has been paid off for almost 15 years. But that truck has 202,000 miles on the original engine and transmission now, and I find myself pausing before planning a trip farther than the 250 miles that my AAA plan will tow. Just in case.

A newer truck might give me more peace of mind. I was hoping the replies would tend toward "you should avoid the '15, it has a problem with the flux capacitor". Or "Grab that 2015, that was the last year before they switched to the Chinese made muffler bearings". That kind of thing.

I am fully capable of evaluating my own payload needs, and wouldn't have even considered an F250 if it wasn't able to handle my 5,600 pound (loaded) trailer.

Old 06-02-2020, 01:50 PM   #5
Canadian Member

I really like my 2016 F-250 gasser. I’m sure the 2015 diesel would ride similarly. It’s not a Cadillac ride for sure but you know that when you get a 3/4 ton. It should be fine for any size TT so as long as you have no plans to go to a fifth wheel it should be a great tow vehicle for you.

Hopefully someone will come along to give you an opinion on that generation of Ford diesel engine.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 02:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf View Post
This is the kind of response that it ubiquitous in this forum, and makes me not want to participate. The very first response after my initial post, where I said that payload was not a primary concern for me, criticizes me for not caring about payload.

I didn't *pick out* a "blinged out" truck. I ran across a truck for sale, for what seemed like a decent price, and wondered if there were any known issues or advantages to that particular year/model.

I own a small trailer that is only 7 months old, that we *love*. We have already spent 93 nights in it. We have no intention of getting rid of it anytime soon. I have no interest in a 5th wheel. I have no interest in a massive TT with outside kitchen and 17 slides. I have no interest in a toy hauler. None of those are my thing. I am thrilled that other people like them, but I don't want one.

So my little 21 foot trailer tows just fine behind my "blinged out" 2003 F150 Lariat FX4 - which has been paid off for almost 15 years. But that truck has 202,000 miles on the original engine and transmission now, and I find myself pausing before planning a trip farther than the 250 miles that my AAA plan will tow. Just in case.

A newer truck might give me more peace of mind. I was hoping the replies would tend toward "you should avoid the '15, it has a problem with the flux capacitor". Or "Grab that 2015, that was the last year before they switched to the Chinese made muffler bearings". That kind of thing.

I am fully capable of evaluating my own payload needs, and wouldn't have even considered an F250 if it wasn't able to handle my 5,600 pound (loaded) trailer.
X2.....I have a 2015 2500 RAM diesel Ok so it's not a Ford so I can't weigh in there....It's payload is 2,159 lbs many on here will say the payload isn't that great and you really don't need a diesel for what I tow a 8K Rockwood 32ft travel trailer Blah Blah Blah....

Personally I would take my truck and it's configuration over any 1/2 or 3/4 gasser with a higher payload rating. I guess what I am getting at is don't be discouraged by the types of responses you will get from your post's opinions vary on this forum from mostly if your not doing it a certain way your doing it wrong.
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C
Ejs4029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 02:36 PM   #7

Look for an EcoBoost F150 or Expedition.

1000 pound cargo capacity for a F250?! My Expedition has a cargo capacity of 1416 pounds.

The F250 will, though, provide a "nice" truck-like ride. Every day, not just towing. And the fragrance of diesel fuel...

-- Chuck
Old 06-02-2020, 02:53 PM   #8
Brake is on left

I have that (almost) same truck. I have also had a full size Bronco 5.0, 150, and a 350 (7.3 and 351w). I'll tell you this is by far my favorite. Well, I really liked the Bronco but that is a different class all together.

Anyway.... The 2015 saw a boost in HP and Tq with the newer, larger and more reliable DT37 turbo. Other than that the 2011-2016's are pretty similar. One thing to note is the short box diesels have 27 gallon tanks. The long box is a more reasonable 37 gallons. Titan makes drop in 50 gal tanks that can be installed for about $1500-1800 depending on where you live and shop rates. It is doable by a pair of mechanically inclined friends. The most common failing on these trucks is one of the DEF heaters but that is hit or miss. I had one at 40k but a friend didn't have a failure till 150k. There is talk of "weak" fuel pump design, but the CP4 pump is also found in GM and FCA trucks so no getting away from it if that is true. My one complaint on this truck is the factory vacuum pump (force fed vehicles cannot rely on engine vacuum) leaks oil eventually. Not a show stopper. It can be preemptively avoided by removing each bolt individually. Apply a dab of blue locktite and reinstall.
That's about it. Hauls like a dream no matter what. The ride is a little "trucky" unloaded but it's a....truck. I pull 12-13,000 on the regular with it and average about 11mpg.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 02:55 PM   #9
Brake is on left

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
Look for an EcoBoost F150 or Expedition.

1000 pound cargo capacity for a F250?! My Expedition has a cargo capacity of 1416 pounds.

The F250 will, though, provide a "nice" truck-like ride. Every day, not just towing. And the fragrance of diesel fuel...

-- Chuck
Can't say I have seen one with only 1k payload. It may be out there, but that would mean a 9000 lb curb weight.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 03:01 PM   #10

I the same F250 except it is a 2016, otherwise idenical and thus pre alum body. Yellow sticker is 2049 lbs.

Your reliably, etc. questions will probably be better answered at:
Powerstroke.org or
Superdutydiesel.com

I know mind were. Fwiw, good truck.
Old 06-02-2020, 04:41 PM   #11

I have a 2011 King Ranch towing a 6,000+ lb TT. Love it for towing, including 4,000 mi round trips out west. Small fuel tank stinks but nothing a couple of 5 gallon cans won't fix when I'm out west.
At least in my area, I think $33k would be an OK price but not a steal given the miles.

Fun fact about this body style - you have to take the entire grill assembly off to replace a burned out headlight. Probably the worst thing I've encountered with my vehicle.

Good luck!
Pete
ProPride Hitch
purduepete97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 01:23 PM   #12
Tom Stauffer

f250

I had similar replies, but there are many people with great info here.

On to your question about the 250. We test drove the F250, F350 and then the F150. We were amazed at how clean the ride was in the F150. Delaer incentives in the CV19 time might be worth your while to check into a new 2019 or 2020 F150 for nearly the same price as the F250 you are considering. The F150 with 3.5 ecoboost, will give you about 11,600-12,200 towing capacity, or around 17,000 combined weight capacity. The max. towing package with the tow/haul mode will work great in your nicely equipped trailer.

Quote:

2019 Rockwood Signature Series 8335BSS
2016 F150 XLT Super Cab 3.5 Eco-boost with tow/haul mode and Max trailer tow package
tpstauffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 01:36 PM   #13

I cannot tell you any standout pluses, but from a repair shop approach I don’t like the fact that they use 2 water pumps that are different and replacement time is high. Engine is is difficult to work on. Since they have used so many different engines finding parts in smaller communities and rural areas is usually disappointing. Just something to consider.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 01:46 PM   #14

I have a '15 350. 4X4 lariat SB. Put a 60 gal tank in bed that fits under the tonneau. I have made trips (empty) from SW PA to Pensacola and Jacksonville on the stock and 60gal. Since it was a FX4 i had the 4" spring block removed for 2" spring blocks. I also got mine used, i was looking for a diesel and lariat nothing else really mattered, other than price. No complaints. tows my ~11k 5er well. I've had gas and wouldn't go back. Hills and on ramps don't make no never mind. gasser had to see how long the on ramp and how high the hill.
Old 06-03-2020, 01:50 PM   #15

Quote:
I was idly surfing the web this afternoon, and ran across the following truck at a local dealer:

2015 F250 Lariat Crew Cab 6 3/4 bed
101,000 miles
6.7L Diesel
4x4
10,000lb GVWR pkg
3.55 Electronic Locking axle
Lariat Ultimate pkg
and some other assorted options

I don't really need a diesel - or a 3/4 ton either, for my little bitty trailer. But they have it listed at $37k and I am pretty sure I could get it for ~$33k-ish.

Wondering if anyone here has a rig like this? I don't have any experience with modern diesels & have no idea if that's a good one, what the maintenance costs would be, what to look for and/or look out for.

I haven't seen the payload sticker yet, but if it's over 1,000 lbs it would be more than I need. I can't see the payload being less than my current truck.

Thanks for sharing your experience!
I have a 2019 Lariat and its payload is 2300ish. The Lariat package is nice, but not blinged out by any means. Very nice truck. I love mine. Dont know anything about the 2015 model though. Might want to research on a Super Duty forum.
boogiejack75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 01:59 PM   #16
Tundra 2014

TV

No way to tell if that is a value until you look @ it. You do not say what you are currently towing w/ to compare. Early in many of our RV experiences, we were "Fooled" by the towing specs. Cargo capacity is the key. The Diesel engine weights 700 lb. over the 6.2, that comes off the cargo cap. If you do not plan to move up to a bigger trailer, a newer-less milage gas might be a better choice. I love my diesel for the engine brake and the weight makes a very stable TV. Maintenance can get very expensive if it has not been serviced properly from the start.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 02:46 PM   #17

I have a bling Lariat and love it. Remember opinions on forums are like those from folks at the campground bar after they have had a few. (Cheers)
Mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 02:46 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra 2014 View Post
No way to tell if that is a value until you look @ it. You do not say what you are currently towing w/ to compare. Early in many of our RV experiences, we were "Fooled" by the towing specs. Cargo capacity is the key. The Diesel engine weights 700 lb. over the 6.2, that comes off the cargo cap. If you do not plan to move up to a bigger trailer, a newer-less milage gas might be a better choice. I love my diesel for the engine brake and the weight makes a very stable TV. Maintenance can get very expensive if it has not been serviced properly from the start.
So, in my signature, where it says 2003 F150 etc, etc - that doesn't say what I am currently towing with?

I tried to be really clear, but I will give it another go - I am not SHOPPING for a new truck. My current rig works fine. I saw an ad online for the truck that I asked about, and a little bit of research suggested that I could probably buy it for very close to what KBB says is the trade in value. It would be complete overkill for my trailer. I am not going to buy new at this time. If I'm honest, I shudder at the idea that most pickups cost north of $50,000 now.

So, why would I consider it? 13 years newer than my current truck. 100,000 fewer miles than my current truck. Club cab - The one thing that I have always regretted about my current truck was not having a full backseat. Fuel mileage would likely be better - I get 7.5-8 out of my 5.4L V8 when towing, seems likely that I could get 10-11 out of the diesel. That could get me an extra 100 miles between fuel stops.

Why would I not consider it? I own my truck, no payments is a nice thing. Unknown service history. My truck was a special order and I took delivery with 0.4 miles on the odometer. I have all of my service records for 17 years and almost 202,000 miles. It's old, but I know what's wrong with it. I don't drive my truck a lot of miles anymore. When I am not camping, it't not unusual for the truck to sit a month without being started. I'm not sure how well modern diesels tolerate that kind of usage.

If I decide to pass on this one, I probably won't think about it again unless some other good deal comes along.

Old 06-03-2020, 04:35 PM   #19
Grammar Pedant

Quote:
This is the kind of response that it ubiquitous in this forum, and makes me not want to participate. The very first response after my initial post, where I said that payload was not a primary concern for me, criticizes me for not caring about payload. [...]

I'm not sure why you're so upset. Maybe the reason you received some payload advice is because you mentioned in your first post that 1,000 lbs of payload is more than enough. To many, that would suggest that you may not understand payload very well, even if that's not accurate.

Your trailer has a listed dry weight of over 4,800 lbs, so if you are only 5,600 lbs fully loaded, that's a pretty spartan load-out. Either way, that 5,600 lb trailer would be dropping around 750 lbs onto your hitch. Add 50 lbs for your WDH and that's 800 lbs. You also mention a "we" in discussing your camping habits. But, 1,000 lbs would only allow for 200 lbs to account for you and the other person. That's not likely. It's nearly impossible for 1,000 lbs to be more than enough in this scenario. Thus, even a casual reader may be inclined to offer some payload insights to you based on your casual dismissal of its importance.

With that said, I highly recommend that you check out a Ford forum to learn more about the truck you're interested in. Similarly, if anyone at the Ford forum asks about the merits of a Rockwood trailer, I would send him over here. Different tools for different jobs.

But, in general, the 6.7L PSD is a great engine and it would be paired with one of the best HD transmissions of all time, the 6R140. You can then read volumes about Gas vs Diesel. There are, of course, all of the "you don't need a diesel" threads, too ... as if anything we discuss on here has anything to do with needs!

Good luck.

RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 04:57 PM   #20

x2

[QUOTE=Qwkynuf;2336836]This is the kind of response that it ubiquitous in this forum, and makes me not want to participate.

Well said, been there. Dont be discouraged with the forum, there are a lot of good people here with tons of experience and help. Understand that some people tend to have negative comments about a lot of things, its just their nature. Thankfully they are not the majority. I used to think it was just the grumpy old men that did that, but I am older than most and I learned a long time ago to stop slamming doors in my own face. They will to, or they will be miserable, their choice. What you posted was appropriate.

RockinH Bill and Shannon
2019 Silverback 37RTH
2014 Shadow LQ 3 horse select
2015 Ram Laramie DRW
2012 Concours
Rockinh is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, f250, ford