Old 03-16-2020, 09:54 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
Someone else takes the huge depreciation hit and I get a reliable vehicle for MUCH less than a new one.
This is not as true for the HD truck market, at least if you time the incentives right. I drove my 2019 3500 with a Duramax in for a year and just traded it in a few weeks ago, it is sitting on the dealer lot for $500 more than I paid for it. I could have got that with a private sale, but with the sales tax advantage of trading it did not make sense to hassle with it. My brother in law is shopping HD's right now, and keep asking why the used trucks cost so much. I just shrug because I have no idea, but they do.
jjackkrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 10:22 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
I pick and choose when to use TH mode .
Most who tow heavy regularly will tell you to always use TH mode when towing. It does two good things for you.

1. it changes the shift points to take full advantage of the best torque range for your engine. This stresses the engine less and actually helps keep the engine running cooler by not lugging it when accelerating.

2. It locks the Torque Converter in 2nd gear and up. this eliminates the slippage in the TC which is lubricated by your transmission fluid, thereby reducing the temperature of that transmission fluid.

Also, it is not good for the transmission and/or your engine to change in and out of TH when driving. Simply select it when starting the truck if you are towing and the location of that switch wont really be a problem.

Good Luck to you as well.
Old 03-16-2020, 10:28 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackkrash View Post
This is not as true for the HD truck market, at least if you time the incentives right. I drove my 2019 3500 with a Duramax in for a year and just traded it in a few weeks ago, it is sitting on the dealer lot for $500 more than I paid for it. I could have got that with a private sale, but with the sales tax advantage of trading it did not make sense to hassle with it. My brother in law is shopping HD's right now, and keep asking why the used trucks cost so much. I just shrug because I have no idea, but they do.
I don't trade vehicles on a regular basis and don't really need all the bells and whistles. I need a good vehicle to tow my camper. I got a 8 year old truck with 95000 on the clock for $22,000, a third of what that truck would have cost me new.
Old 03-16-2020, 05:43 PM   #24

I was surprised at the price you can get a new work truck for (preposition). I priced exactly what I wanted for $41k. I got the same thing in a 2015 with 52,000 miles for $24,500. I am very happy with that, but it isn't an amazing savings considering it is a 5 year old truck. It is in immaculate condition though. Left me a lot of room to add some goodies I couldn't order.
corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 05:21 PM   #25
Do It Yourselfer

Ram 2500HD

I ordered a 2017 Ram HD 2wd to pull our Cherokee 294rr toyhauler. The 6.4l and 6 speed trans does an amazing job of getting us thru the Rockies. With my 1000 lb UTV on board, a tongue weight of 1200lbs, we seldom were below 55 mph. Gas mileage range from 7.8 to 10 mpg.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
It's Easy to take 'Liberty' for granted, When you have never had it taken from You!
wuffwuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
500, upgrade