Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2020, 01:14 PM   #1

lots of play in receiver, shims OK?

I have a 2015 Silverado 2500HD that has the factory 2.5" receiver hitch on it. A while back my wife (yes not me) lost the factory 2.5" -> 2" adapter. $30+ seemed steep for a new one so I got some "EZ Travel" brand off Amazon. I figure a hunk of square tube isn't all that complicated.

I never paid much attention when I was just towing the horse trailer. Even last year when I got the Mini Lite I noticed the hitch rattled around but wasn't too concerned. But my new trailer has a 1000+ pound tongue weight so I thinking of fixing it. I also noticed my hitch rattler inside the adapter (its a Fastway E2 WDH).

To keep it short, I found a piece of galvanized sheet metal in the barn. I cut a roughly 2"x6" strip that I was able to fit between the bottom of the adapter and the truck's receiver. I continued doing this until I have a "shim" on the top, bottom and one side of the adapter. I also ended up putting 2 shims between the hitch and the adapter and one on the side. There is a lot less rattle now.

So is this OK to do? I could buy a real GM adapter (or a name brand) but I think there is no guarantee they wouldn't be similar. Since the shims are steel I'm thinking they should fall apart. And even if they did I would just be back to the way it was.

Jim M.
jimmarako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 01:35 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmarako View Post
I have a 2015 Silverado 2500HD that has the factory 2.5" receiver hitch on it. A while back my wife (yes not me) lost the factory 2.5" -> 2" adapter. $30+ seemed steep for a new one so I got some "EZ Travel" brand off Amazon. I figure a hunk of square tube isn't all that complicated.

I never paid much attention when I was just towing the horse trailer. Even last year when I got the Mini Lite I noticed the hitch rattled around but wasn't too concerned. But my new trailer has a 1000+ pound tongue weight so I thinking of fixing it. I also noticed my hitch rattler inside the adapter (its a Fastway E2 WDH).

To keep it short, I found a piece of galvanized sheet metal in the barn. I cut a roughly 2"x6" strip that I was able to fit between the bottom of the adapter and the truck's receiver. I continued doing this until I have a "shim" on the top, bottom and one side of the adapter. I also ended up putting 2 shims between the hitch and the adapter and one on the side. There is a lot less rattle now.

So is this OK to do? I could buy a real GM adapter (or a name brand) but I think there is no guarantee they wouldn't be similar. Since the shims are steel I'm thinking they should fall apart. And even if they did I would just be back to the way it was.

Jim M.

The real gm adapter fits like glove . no slop and the holes line up . unlike the off brand like the curt which i had bought at first but was rusted in a week and did not fit well hell of a time lining up the holes . took it back and bought the real deal . worth the $25.00 you can find them on amazon . when the hitch cones out the adapter comes out and stays wit the hitch . one could tack weld it in place if worried about losing it again
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 01:41 PM   #3

You probably be ok, but you could probably go to dealership, auto parts store or truck accessory store and test fit. If you go to truck accessory store. You can ask questions. While $30 is steep what price would you pay for piece of mind. How bad would you feel if you let $15( I’m sure the one you bought on line wasn’t free) if you lost shims and wobbled out the hole causing damage and more money.
Old 03-14-2020, 01:57 PM   #4

When your hitch is in use under tension there should NOT be any slop or Noise! Now when the hitch is not being used Some will raise Hell,but trailer aid places sell spring loaded bracket that attach with U bolts! No more noise!Youroo!!
Old 03-14-2020, 02:33 PM   #5

ACE hardware has the REESE for $15.00. Don't get much better than that.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 02:39 PM   #6

Shouldn’t cause a problem, but I couldn’t stand it any longer than one trip as needed. Just me.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 02:49 PM   #7

As sort of an aside...
Grease the receiver an hitch ball mount (WDH mount), and, of course, the ball. This will cut wear and quiet the whole mess. Clean it regularly if you are in the dirt much.

I use chassis grease, but here's an option: https://www.3inone.com/products/trailer-hitch-grease/

As for strength of the receiver, sleeve, WDH hitch ball mount combo, once you load half a ton on there, the tiny amount of movement allowed by the slop is not a concern, and the lube will keep the moving parts from grinding themselves to dust.

Even a well-fitting system will move about a bit, so dealing with the friction of that movement is important.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 02:59 PM   #8

This works great for me.
https://www.amazon.com/NSA-RV-Produc.../dp/B00IK56S44
barnbnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 03:41 PM   #9

I've used an aluminum shim for several years now. When it wears down, I replace it with a new one. Use aluminum so I don't get any wear in the steel hitch or receiver. Never a problem.
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 06:25 PM   #10
D W

Me? I would spend the money and fix it the RIGHT way!

Too much at stake, and not worth a MacGyver fix.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 07:54 PM   #11
Jayhawker

This is a Hitch-Clamp that we have used (anti rattle) since 2012. Has worked perfectly all these years with no movement.
Attached Images

Old 03-14-2020, 08:25 PM   #12

Hitch rattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawker View Post
This is a Hitch-Clamp that we have used (anti rattle) since 2012. Has worked perfectly all these years with no movement.
I use a similar device that applies the pressure down on the reciver and it works great. Got 2 pack on Amazon very cheap.
nodrawers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 08:28 PM   #13

Never really worry about it. All hitches have some play. If it did bother me, I would just put a couple weld puddles around the hitch and file them down until it was snug.

Leaving it as is with a rattle is not going to damage anything and with 1,000# of tongue weight, no way is it going to rattle.

The hitch ball going into the coupler likely has more play than your hitch does.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 08:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Whenever I see that picture, it always seems like it is installed upside down. Don't you want the hitch forced downwards? If you use it like that, the weight of the trailer is working against that light weight U-Bolt assembly.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 02:08 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Whenever I see that picture, it always seems like it is installed upside down. Don't you want the hitch forced downwards? If you use it like that, the weight of the trailer is working against that light weight U-Bolt assembly.
I thought the same thing...
Fishtexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 08:18 PM   #16

Quote:
x2
Removes any/all of the slop. no more clunking!

2018 3500 Chevy Silverado, Duramax, CC, Z71, SRW
2014 Palomino Solaire Eclipse 297rlds
Husky Centerline w/d hitch
Retusps is offline   Reply With Quote