Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2021, 10:40 PM   #1

Lots of side to side say with RAM 2500 and Anderson Ultimate hitch

I towed my 40FT Ceder Creek for the first time with a 2019 RAM 2500 with air suspension. If I hit any rough spots on the highway at speeds above 60 MPH I would get significant enough side-to-side sway of the truck (still held a straight line) that the computer cut the engine power for several seconds as a safety measure. I towed the camper once before with a 2020 GMC 2500 and didn't have the same issue. I think the RAM air suspension is softer and perhaps the shocks also have a lower damping setting (maybe) than the GMC. I think part of the challenge is the higher connection point of the Anderson which gives more leverage on swaying the truck than if it was low like a true gooseneck and the RAM suspension. I'm not getting any warnings from the computer that the trailer weight on the truck is too high ( It can do that). What experience have others had with truck sway and the Anderson Ultimate hitch? Should I change the Pinbox to a goose box (I do not want a fifth-wheel hitch in the bed of my truck). Or should I see about double shocks in the rear?
ChuckvB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 10:57 PM   #2
Always Learning

I did not experience that with the Andersen but did have ride issues with it that I didn’t have before or after with fifth wheel hitches.

Not sure if that helps you or not.
Old 02-19-2021, 11:13 PM   #3

Ha this is a repeat for me from just the other day. You can cut almost all that side to to side movement with a bigger sway bar on the rear. The 2500 is a good truck and it comes with a sway bar , but when you have the size load you have a bigger one is needed and helps a ton to eliminate side to side issues. It makes a huge difference on even 1 ton trucks when they carry a heavy truck slide in camper too. You will know and feel it if you add the Hellwig . I did . OH and no I don't work or get paid to say this . I'm just a happy customer of Hellwigs .

Years camping 50+,
Days camping in 2021, 120 and counting.
Rolling Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 03:41 AM   #4

I hadn't put the idea of a larger sway bar for this issue (duh still sway no matter the driving force) thanks, that sounds like a good way to resolve the issue without making the ride harsher. Did you only change the rear one?
Old 02-20-2021, 10:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckvB View Post
I hadn't put the idea of a larger sway bar for this issue (duh still sway no matter the driving force) thanks, that sounds like a good way to resolve the issue without making the ride harsher. Did you only change the rear one?
Yes I only did the rear. Its not to hard a job for a DIY type person , but even a shop will do it at a cheap price cause it takes less than an hour to do. You have one on the truck from the factory but its not in the same ball park with the Hellwig. You'll know once you change it out. For me that Hellwig made a huge difference. I think it will help you out in this case. I put a Airlift system on , but found out I didn't really need it. The truck only squatted down to about level with the front. I do use the air bags at about 15 lbs., to help make for a little smoother ride. Not for the weight. Oh and yes I do use the Andersen Ultimate hitch. I may switch to the ( still researching this one ) Gen y to gain my whole truck bed back for use. Not that the Andersen has any issues , but with the Gen Y I have nothing to take in or out of the truck at all. Plus it lowers that center of gravity down.

Years camping 50+,
Days camping in 2021, 120 and counting.
Rolling Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 02:53 PM   #6

I have a Rockwood 2608BS TT being pulled by a Ford 350. My camper dealer asked me if I had anti-sway on the truck, which I do. He recommended to cut the truck anti-sway off because my TT would be working against the truck. Once I did, the sway definitely improved. Not sure about yours. Worth a try.
RookieRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 03:15 PM   #7
Georgia Rally Coordinator

You really did not say how much above 60 you drive. I have the 2500 Ram with the leveling system and Anderson hitch. My 5er weighs in around 11000 and have had no sway. I normally tow at 62 but have reached 75 or so when making a pass but then resume back to 62 and have had no issues. I also have GY Endurance tires on camper and from previous experience with this tire it has improved swaying on a previous tt. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 04:25 PM   #8

It sounds like you are overweight for that truck.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 08:52 AM   #9

Granted I haven’t been at this as long as many, and the statement keeps appearing that “I did this or that and didn’t have any problems”. No perceived problems. I did a great deal of research (my wife kept asking if we were ever actually going camping or just spreadsheeting) and decided the safety and (most notably) stress on the 5’er eliminated goose ball hitch options all together.

Agree that the bed space is valuable and the hitch (easily removable with two men and a boy!) but being a mechanical engineer I did look (albeit briefly) and the goose ball adapter style hitch and chose not to go that direction. The main reason (and this is gut reaction from 35+ years working as an engineer) is that load path for supporting the front of the trailer changes and is more of a point load instead of being spread out over the 5th wheel hitch plate.

Plus the hitch mentioned in the discussion costs more that the hitch I installed myself in the RAM puck system. It just drops in, rotate four latches 90 degrees and you’re done.

Just saying
Mikeytheb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 09:49 PM   #10

I'm having the same thoughts as you in the gen Y or goose box. You do shorten the lever arm in the truck with the shorter goose ball setup, that should help reduce role of the truck as well, but you increased the lever arm on the trailer frame. My hillwig rear sway far arrives this week but I probably won't be towing for quite a while so I won't know the effect.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:12 PM   #11

Know nothing about the air suspension. My concern is you are over payload likely and the rear may be overloaded causing issues.

I tow a 37’ and payload is the same over. But traditional suspension with Timberen springs.

Mine is solid as a rock.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 03:59 PM   #12

Ram side to side sway

I had exact same problem. My previous 2015 2x4 ram 2500 Cummins with bilsteins did not have rear air ride andI had no sway with same fifth wheel trailer. Bought 2017 Cummins 4x4 with air ride rear tow package and my towing became a nightmare. Any slightly serious bump in road caused severe trailer sway. My trailer is a toy hauler and has a very high ground clearance. I also have the Anderson hitch. Finding this forum gave me the info to find a solution to the problem. I Replaced rear sway bar with heavy road master from etrailer along with new bilstien 5100 heavy duty shocks. I did both shocks and bar at same time so don’t know how they would work individually. This upgrade made a world of difference in towing. Something about air ride and Anderson hitch combination was not happy.

Thanks for info, I hope this can help someone else having same problem.
Sundot759 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 11:10 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundot759 View Post
I had exact same problem. My previous 2015 2x4 ram 2500 Cummins with bilsteins did not have rear air ride andI had no sway with same fifth wheel trailer. Bought 2017 Cummins 4x4 with air ride rear tow package and my towing became a nightmare. Any slightly serious bump in road caused severe trailer sway. My trailer is a toy hauler and has a very high ground clearance. I also have the Anderson hitch. Finding this forum gave me the info to find a solution to the problem. I Replaced rear sway bar with heavy road master from etrailer along with new bilstien 5100 heavy duty shocks. I did both shocks and bar at same time so don’t know how they would work individually. This upgrade made a world of difference in towing. Something about air ride and Anderson hitch combination was not happy.

Thanks for info, I hope this can help someone else having same problem.

The Bilstein 5100 shocks are not a heavy-duty shock, they are designed for lifted trucks up to 2.5" which will require a little stiffer valving, and the silver color. The B6-4600 series shocks from Bilstein are for standard ride height trucks.

So, any stock ride height Ram/Dodge can use the B6-4600 Bilstein shocks for improve hauling and towing.

On another note, I have recently read lately a lot of complaints with the Anderson hitch, as far as ride quality when using this style of hitch.

I still believe in a heavy massive hitch which is far better when towing a 5er such as a B&W trailer hitches and or Demco Hijacker auto-slider, or a PullRite hitch. There is no substitute for mass when towing a large 5th wheel trailer.

I have towed my 2016 Cedar Creek since new with a 2500 Dodge Mega Cab 6.7L Cummins with a Demco Hijacker auto-slider and I am rock solid when towing. I.E., no sway or motion induce issue when going over the rough interstate highways. I usually pull through the Chicagoland/Gary IN. on I80/I90/I94 area with semis on the right. left, front and behind me as I go east to MI.

Tags
500, hitch, ram