Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2018, 06:51 PM   #21
Site Team

From what I remember, when I sold tires, low profile tires have shorter sidewalls, making them weaker.
This is for P rated tires.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:20 PM   #22
Just as confused as you

IMO, I think the low profile tires ride rougher at 35psi than my truck tires at 45psi.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:25 PM   #23
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geninut View Post
We want to tow with our Ford Expedition. Roo 231kss. We have high quality, low profile tires. I have read not to over inflate your tires. Normally 35# but when we had them checked recently, the guy at the tire shop said when we tow we should pump them up to 50#. This goes against everything I've been taught. Thoughts?
Isn't low profile and high quality an oxymoron?
As with the previous post, the ride would be terrible. For the towed rig and its contents it would eventually result in disaster. Things will shake loose, break, buckle, etc. You should be trying for a smoother ride, not a rougher one.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:34 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
Your tow vehicle is limited by it's GVWR. Do some math with your certification label. If you max out your axles you'll be way over GVWR.
Agreed.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:49 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geninut View Post
We want to tow with our Ford Expedition. Roo 231kss. We have high quality, low profile tires. I have read not to over inflate your tires. Normally 35# but when we had them checked recently, the guy at the tire shop said when we tow we should pump them up to 50#. This goes against everything I've been taught. Thoughts?
Being that your Ford Expedition is a 2008 I doubt it has Original tires! I also doubt that the "Low Pro O-Ring Tires are the same size as Original,so door sticker PSI is out the door! O-Ring tires look good at Car shows but are not your Go TO tire for Towing,the letting air Out when you get there Idea then inflating them before going Home is a Real Deal Breaker! Youroo!!
Old 07-11-2018, 09:17 PM   #26
Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Being that your Ford Expedition is a 2008 I doubt it has Original tires! I also doubt that the "Low Pro O-Ring Tires are the same size as Original,so door sticker PSI is out the door! O-Ring tires look good at Car shows but are not your Go TO tire for Towing,the letting air Out when you get there Idea then inflating them before going Home is a Real Deal Breaker! Youroo!!
Spot on! All the vehicle specs for air pressure go out the window when you change tire size. I remember reading in a 4wheeler magazine a number of years back about a conversion factor for air pressure when changing tire sizes, or if it's a size offered in a factory package, it could be researched that way. Either way, low profiles aren't the most tow friendly tires out there.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:20 PM   #27
Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
From what I remember, when I sold tires, low profile tires have shorter sidewalls, making them weaker.
This is for P rated tires.
Another good point here, make sure you at least have LT tires with a suitable load rating for the task.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires, towing