Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2020, 08:54 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
This thing is not street legal by DOT standards. People here are saying some towns let them drive ATVs on the local rodes and this qualifies. Areas in central PA have been playing with this idea to attract visitor commerce. But I believe in pa there is a Max width for an ATV and this and side by side are too wide. Also I think emission standards on off road diesel (read farm tractors) is different than on road standards.
I read top speed is around 45 mph. It would be great on a personal farm or ranch.

Not legal everywhere but legal in many places . Utah . can go from town to town and back rds and FWD roads and trails for hundreds of miles . Montana same . Colorado many places to camp and take off from camp with this and hit hundreds of miles on back roads and trails . From My house in Colordo i can hop in ATV , side by side and have hundreds of miles of roads to travel on . Things are very Different out west . South Dakota you can take these from Sturgis to Deadwood many places in between
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 10:32 AM   #22
Broken Toe

In Missouri ATVs (3 or 4 wheelers with handlebar controls and straddle seating) cannot be ridden on roads. The law specifically calls them out. But "Off Highway Vehicles" of which my Polaris General and the Roxor is, can be legally operated on road for a 3 mile radius of the owners residence.

My General has way more 'street' miles on it than 'trail' miles. We have a gas station/mini-mart,some small shops and a state park within my radius. I have only been approached twice by law enforcement. Once was an out-of-jurisdiction cop getting gas when I bopped in and he thought he'd give me a friendly warning not to drive on the street. I pulled out the printed MO Statutes that I keep in the glove box (RSMo 304.033 and 304.010) to show him I was indeed allowed. He was rather shocked as he was totally unaware of those statutes. The other time, it was a local deputy that just wanted to talk to me about the General, as I had the first one he seen in person.

With that said, I exceed my 3 mile radius pretty much at will and have never been gigged on it.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 10:48 AM   #23

Apparently this place will make your Roxor street legal in all 50 states.
Just pay them $499 each year to renew the out of state license plate they arrange for you.
Sounds like with some surreptitious registration trickery and turns signals, you can drive this on public roadways.
https://www.dirtlegal.com/blog/2018/...-your-marriage.
Old 02-10-2020, 12:44 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
Apparently this place will make your Roxor street legal in all 50 states.
Just pay them $499 each year to renew the out of state license plate they arrange for you.
Sounds like with some surreptitious registration trickery and turns signals, you can drive this on public roadways.
https://www.dirtlegal.com/blog/2018/...-your-marriage.
They look good. I wonder what state they ultimately liscense the Roxor in? Starts at $500 but would be closer to $800 for most because it says 4% of sales price. I don't think it's that much per year. That's the initial, I think the renewals you can handle yourself though the online DMV once you are setup, so it would just depend on what state they are using.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 04:37 PM   #25

most people would get it registered where ever that company does, than transfer it to there domicile state before the tags expire.
TowPro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 05:09 PM   #26

Quote:
most people would get it registered where ever that company does, than transfer it to there domicile state before the tags expire.
It can't be registered without 17 digit VIN...but maybe there are exceptions.
I don't think a Roxor comes with a title, just a bill of sale. OP might know the answer.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federa...fety_Standards
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicl...ication_number
Old 02-10-2020, 09:07 PM   #27

I'm sure they use a state that has lots of leeway on things like kit cars or street rods. Basically the Mahindra is a replica of a 40s Jeep, like a fiberglass Cobra is a replica of a AC/Ford Cobra of the 60s and can be liscensed and driven as any other car even without modern emissions or airbags and other safety gear.
Old 02-10-2020, 09:32 PM   #28

I have a 78' CJ5, doesn't have a 17 digit vin. Also have a 2017 Polaris Ranger. Here in Arizona atv's and utv's are registered with a motorcycle plate. You also need a $25 Off Road sticker on your plate as well when running the back roads and trails. This money is supposed to go to the Game n Fish for back country trail maintenance which are mostly on BLM and Forest Service lands, go figure.

I spent the summer up on the rim in Heber-Overgaard and spent a lot of time running the FS roads up there. I did get a passing glance at a Roxor but he was going the other way before I figured out what it was.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 09:56 PM   #29

Almost every state is different. I live in Ohio and it's crazy here. My Polaris RZR is not street legal but my Yamaha golf cart is wherever the speed limit is 35mph or less. That's also true of quite a few other states. I did have to do a few things to make it street legal: Tail lights, brake lights, turn signals, Windshield and insurance. I took it to an inspection location, passed the inspection and from there went straight to the title office. In a few communities in Ohio, it is permitted to run my RZR on local roads but not state routes. This is mostly in communities around Wayne National Forest where there is a trail system. I know that Tennessee allows golf carts if they are plated like mine. I checked into bringing mine to the Pigeon Forge area. I would be good to go anywhere the speed limit is 35mph or less. That's a lot of area in Pigeon Forge. Also, as for how to bring your side by side or golf cart with you without a toy hauler, if you have a pickup truck with an 8 foot bed and you don't pull a 5ver, a 2 seat RZR trail model or a golf cart will fit into the bed of the truck. I do it that way and it works just fine. Just make sure you have your toy strapped very well. You might get by with a 6.5 foot bed on a golf cart but I'd be leery of doing it with my RZR.

Don Williams a.k.a. Librarianwhs
Librarianwhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 10:15 PM   #30

I saw a Mahindra Roxor in our local (Huntsville, AL) Harbor Freight parking lot last week with a special license tag that had NON-INTERSTATE USE on it. You can get a lot of places without having to go on the interstates. I should have talked to the owner, but didn't. I may have to check into the requirements to get one registered. I wonder if other states would allow it through a reciprocal agreement like some states recognize concealed carry from other states?

AL
1997 F-350 CC PSD
BigHomey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 09:39 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrock View Post
I have a 78' CJ5, doesn't have a 17 digit vin.
The standardized 17 digit VIN became federal law in 1981.
I don't know what kind of VIN the Roxor has but it will not conform to federal VIN standards if you attempted to register it as street legal.
California has an off road sticker program that allows off-road vehicles to be registered with DMV. I think the fees are earmarked for off-road vehicle parks...such as Pismo Beach and Glamis.
From what I recall, off-road vehicles can legally cross highways in California at right angles but never driven on the highway.
Old 02-11-2020, 02:57 PM   #32

Quote:
The standardized 17 digit VIN became federal law in 1981.
I don't know what kind of VIN the Roxor has but it will not conform to federal VIN standards if you attempted to register it as street legal.
California has an off road sticker program that allows off-road vehicles to be registered with DMV. I think the fees are earmarked for off-road vehicle parks...such as Pismo Beach and Glamis.
From what I recall, off-road vehicles can legally cross highways in California at right angles but never driven on the highway.
But the above example I'm sure isn't using California as their state to make these street legal. If I build a kit car in Montana, get Montana standard plates and insurance, I'm going to be legal to use it in all states just the same as if I restored a 1945 Willys and did the same. In a way this is a homebuilt car. It came from Mahindra as a side by side UTV and then I made changes to it. The states set the rules for what they consider ok and then the other states usually have to allow that or we run into all kinds of problems in all kinds of areas.
Old 02-11-2020, 04:49 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
But the above example I'm sure isn't using California as their state to make these street legal. If I build a kit car in Montana, get Montana standard plates and insurance, I'm going to be legal to use it in all states just the same as if I restored a 1945 Willys and did the same. In a way this is a homebuilt car. It came from Mahindra as a side by side UTV and then I made changes to it. The states set the rules for what they consider ok and then the other states usually have to allow that or we run into all kinds of problems in all kinds of areas.
The Roxor forum has a lot of answers about making them street legal. Even their owners are clear as mud about this topic. Sounds like California will never allow these on the roads, even with out of state plates.
https://teamroxor.com/forums/street-...nformation.27/
It appears Dirt Legal's registration service will provide Roxer owners with a motorcycle license plate. Many jurisdictions will not define four wheels as a motorcycle.
https://www.dirtlegal.com/services/roxor-conversion
Old 02-12-2020, 12:02 AM   #34

From what I've read on Dirt Legal, some get full size regular automotive plates for the Roxor, not motorcycle plates. Others aside from dirt legal have successfully gotten kit car registration as well. Once done in one state, the kit car can be transferred to another, it shows nothing about being a Mahrinda UTV anymore and has a new VIN assigned from the state.

My state of Montana may be the best. Not even turn signals are required as hand signals are still allowed. Just a horn and a license plate light. The add the ability to do a Montana LLC on top of it all seems like, start a Montana LLC, buy your Roxor here tax free, do the street legal conversion, apply for kit car VIN, register it in Montana for a year, then transfer everything to your home state later, might be a good route.

Or better yet, just move to Montana and live free.
Old 02-12-2020, 09:46 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
From what I've read on Dirt Legal, some get full size regular automotive plates for the Roxor, not motorcycle plates. Others aside from dirt legal have successfully gotten kit car registration as well. Once done in one state, the kit car can be transferred to another, it shows nothing about being a Mahrinda UTV anymore and has a new VIN assigned from the state.

My state of Montana may be the best. Not even turn signals are required as hand signals are still allowed. Just a horn and a license plate light. The add the ability to do a Montana LLC on top of it all seems like, start a Montana LLC, buy your Roxor here tax free, do the street legal conversion, apply for kit car VIN, register it in Montana for a year, then transfer everything to your home state later, might be a good route.

Or better yet, just move to Montana and live free.
Dirt Legal has this quote in the link I posted above.

"Since your Roxor will be registered with an out of state motorcycle license plate, it’s advised to check with your local county to ensure this won’t be an issue".

It just seems strange to me how a vehicle manufacturer can sell a vehicle that appears to be street legal but really isn't. Through consumer ingenuity with registration loopholes and aftermarket support, they can become street legal on a limited and restricted basis.
Seems to me Roxor is intentionally circumventing American DOT/NHTSA/EPA/FMVSS/CFR legislation by selling something that would never pass these regulations.
I fully support the individual freedoms to do whatever you want with your Roxor but at some point a Roxor owner will push the envelope of legality and the feds/local LEO's/insurance industry/CARB will take notice. As is stands right now, the road legal Roxor is conditional contraband and you know how government feels about that.
Better buy a Roxor before US Customs shuts down their importation at a port of entry.
I'm sure someone in government is watching.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:11 AM   #36

Here in Arizona for a side by side or an ATV to be street legal all that is needed is a rear view mirror, horn and lighted license plate. We can drive on all secondary highways and it's not uncommon to see them whizzing down our local highways wound out and screaming like a banshee. Local cops clocked a Razor doing 70 in a 55 but he ditched them by going down in the river bottom. No problem though as the cops knew he had to go home sometime and waited for him.

All you need to do is drive responsibly and a person can almost get away with anything around here. Since we have so much agriculture around here it took the cops a long time to catch onto a Mexican that had a DUI was using a John Deere tractor for his daily driver.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:24 AM   #37

Quote:
Dirt Legal has this quote in the link I posted above.

"Since your Roxor will be registered with an out of state motorcycle license plate, it’s advised to check with your local county to ensure this won’t be an issue".

It just seems strange to me how a vehicle manufacturer can sell a vehicle that appears to be street legal but really isn't. Through consumer ingenuity with registration loopholes and aftermarket support, they can become street legal on a limited and restricted basis.
Seems to me Roxor is intentionally circumventing American DOT/NHTSA/EPA/FMVSS/CFR legislation by selling something that would never pass these regulations.
I fully support the individual freedoms to do whatever you want with your Roxor but at some point a Roxor owner will push the envelope of legality and the feds/local LEO's/insurance industry/CARB will take notice. As is stands right now, the road legal Roxor is conditional contraband and you know how government feels about that.
Better buy a Roxor before US Customs shuts down their importation at a port of entry.
I'm sure someone in government is watching.

No one is watching . the roxor is made for off road use and comply s with the regulations for such . many places allow street use and to add what it needs for that is also not circumventing any regulations . As has been mentioned many states allow for use of over road ATV, UTV's and the roxor to be used on local streets . it all good and big brother could give a hoot
Old 02-12-2020, 10:35 AM   #38

The manafacture is selling it as off road only and don't want to know if someone is doing anything different
TowPro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:48 AM   #39

Quote:
The manafacture is selling it as off road only and don't want to know if someone is doing anything different
Kind of like the aftermarket selling diesel pickup emissions delete kits. The delete kits are intended for off-road use only and they don't want to know if someone is doing anything different.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:52 AM   #40

Quote:
Kind of like the aftermarket selling diesel pickup emissions delete kits. They are intended for off-road use only and they don't want to know if someone is doing anything different.
Nothing like diesel delete kits . the laws the states set for use is perfectly legal and many enjoy the use of these machines without harm or foul to anybody . doesn't matter what you drive there is always a moron somewhere breaking a law .