Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2022, 02:32 PM   #1

Master Tow Dolly wiring fix

Hello Master Tow owners…

This is another dump to all of you from your friends at ***** Storm ⛈️ advice forums.

Are you troubled by the wiring socket to your signal lights vibrating loose or out?

Well here is an easy fix. Aside from ensuring that all the wires are secured with zip ties take this next step.

Remove your signal light assembly.

Disconnect the wire plug.

Using a 3/16 drill bit carefully make a hole as shown.

Assemble the wire plug in the light housing.

Then insert a #4 X 1/2 stainless steel screw.

This screw will penetrate the interior portion of the rubber plug holding it securely.

Reassemble the fixture and finish the balance of the lamps.
Goldie1ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 04:07 PM   #2

You say "Using a 3/16 drill bit carefully make a hole as shown.", but there is no photo attached.
Old 12-09-2022, 04:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocP View Post
You say "Using a 3/16 drill bit carefully make a hole as shown.", but there is no photo attached.
Photos attached!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CC55D1CF-2EA7-45A1-883A-0315FEC59EC8.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	216.8 KB
ID:	282156   Click image for larger version

Name:	1B6E4209-7784-4BDE-8F44-D0CDF8BF19E8.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	230.3 KB
ID:	282157  
Goldie1ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 02:17 PM   #4

I am on my second Master Tow dolly. The first one did not have surge brakes and there were two problems with that dolly. First, after going through U.S. Customs at the Blue Water Bridge, Ontario, CA to Michigan they directed me through a maze of Jersey Barriers that caused all traffic to stop while I barely made it through the maze with my wife directing me from the ground. When I stopped at the rest stop a few miles away I found one of the directional lights hanging by the wires. Torque from the very tight turns cracked the lens bracket that holds the light in place. I duct-taped it until we got to our campground. Seeing the bracket split on the bottom, I re-applied the duct tape and left it that way until I sold it last Spring.

After about 4-5 years of use of that dolly, I noticed the fenders were vibrating while underway. The fiberglass cracked by the 3 mounting bolts is noticeable on the inside of the fender. Also one of the metal mounting brackets for the fender cracked also. I had that welded by a local prison workshop, and for the fender, I attached metal reinforcement sheet metal, bought at Home Depot, cut and shaped to the fender contours, and drilled holes to attach with larger washers. I also used construction adhesive to attach the metal sections to the fenders. Never budged after that fix.

After putting over 50K miles on that dolly I sold it last Spring and bought a brand new MT dolly with surge brakes. Combined with our coast-to-coast trip last summer and through the whole camping season in excess of 10K miles I have not had any issues with the new dolly. Before next camping season, I do plan to add larger washers to the mounting bolts hoping to spread the stress over a larger area and hopefully to avoid the fenders from cracking like the first dolly's.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, wiring