Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2012, 09:25 AM   #21
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
(I fully understand the the ratings on the vehicle have a direct impact on these issues- but these issues all are tremendously impacted by driver ability as well) None of the ratings take into account driver experience or ability.
No argument here. "Unsafe at any speed" can be used to describe many drivers today. Just saying that someone who is willing to take shortcuts in one area may be predisposed to take shortcuts in others.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:51 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
no argument here. "unsafe at any speed" can be used to describe many drivers today. Just saying that someone who is willing to take shortcuts in one area may be predisposed to take shortcuts in others.
very true!!!!
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:59 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769
There were also several videos on youtube of spectacular frame fails from overloading and drag racing (multiple frame flex events).
In all fairness, these look like Toyota toy pickups instead of a truck!
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:01 AM   #24

Quote:
There were also several videos on youtube of spectacular frame fails from overloading and drag racing (multiple frame flex events).
I have seen many axle and frame failures from drag racing and off roading. I still have yet to witness a frame or axle failure due to overloading, though. Granted the trucks I'm referring to are heavy duty trucks, but they were overloaded none-the-less. I'm not saying that it's impossible to break a truck- I'm just trying to say that the vast majority of drivers will exceed other limitations before they get a load heavy enough to break a frame or axle. I guess I'm also trying to say that I believe there is a great deal of safety margin built into those numbers and feel that an experienced enough driver can "overload" a truck and still be in a much safer condition than an inexperienced driver with one that is below max.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:18 AM   #25

My personal feeling is..i would rather have a Truck that is more than capable for the job than just at "the limits" for towing..and ..Dustman STX you are correct !! Drivers do make a big difference... in many ways..knowing that.. i can go almost any place that i want to go with my rig ..and not feel "overloaded" in any way...shape..or form ....is a peace of mind for me....
Old 10-09-2012, 04:44 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dretired View Post
Drivers do make a big difference... in many ways..knowing that.. i can go almost any place that i want to go with my rig ..and not feel "overloaded" in any way...shape..or form ....is a peace of mind for me....
So can I and I'm "overloaded". There is a difference between towing and not towing. Some people can learn and some people can't. The problem now days is a lot of people that can't keep doing it because they think they can. That's why there has to be so much cushion put into the safety ratings.
2006 EZ GO 6" lift
transamz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:56 PM   #27

bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:10 PM   #28
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
Look I get it. If you are bored with this thread, just move on.

It seems others would like to discuss it some more. I have presented my point of view, but I really do want to hear what others have to say.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:17 PM   #29
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Look I get it. If you are bored with this thread, just move on.

It seems others would like to discuss it some more. I have presented my point of view, but I really do want to hear what others have to say.

X - 2 Herk
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:33 PM   #30

As much as some would like it, it's not just an easy math exercise. A little over the manufacturer's rating is not really something to be overly concerned about. As there are safety margins involved, and liability tolerances of each corporation to contend with. Then again, if you do it, you should consider yourself on your own when it comes to long term dependability and warranty of your truck. You can't honestly over-load your truck and then expect GM, Ford etc, to replace your diff or springs if you break them.

Also, a guy breaking his frame off-roading is not the same loading situation as pulling a 5th wheel trailer. Impact loading of pounding a vehicle over rough terrain is completely different than the relatively static loading of a trailer over smooth highway.

Personally, I wouldn't sweat being 10% over limit, depending on how comfortable I'm with the design of the truck and how it's equipped. I'm confident that my truck has a fairly healthy design margin on it's rear suspension.
crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:39 PM   #31

The other thing to think of is if you are overloaded per the manufacturer's specification and there is an accident, is you insurance going to cover anything?

2011 Prime Time Tracer 3000BHS
2007 Ford Expedition
Reese Dual Cam HP Hitch
Nights Camped 2015-5 in TT
DF5.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:49 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF5.4 View Post
The other thing to think of is if you are overloaded per the manufacturer's specification and there is an accident, is you insurance going to cover anything?
This has been stated before. YES they will. That is what insurance is for. If you go out and get drunk and get behind the wheel and have an accident you insurance is going to pay for it. Same thing. That's not saying that you will have insurance after it is all said and done but yes they will pay for it.
2006 EZ GO 6" lift
transamz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:52 PM   #33

I think that there would have to be alot to prove there - first, that you were overloaded, second that it was the cause of a failure, and third, that failure caused the accident. Put another way - if you were speeding and something happened and you crashed - was the resulting damage because you were overloaded, or because you were speeding.

Also, your insurance covers you even if you are intentionally negligent. They can't just not pay your victims just because you were in violation. So if you go rob a liquor store and are speeding away and crash into someone, your car insurance still must pay for the people you crashed into. They may not pay for your car though

One thing missing from this discussion though, is tires. I'm alot more leary of overloading tires. You are probably much more likely to break your tires before you break anything on your truck.
crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:47 PM   #34

I have not read all the post on this thread but found it very interesting and found this site that might help if not all ready posted
Readybrake RV Tow Bars and RV Surge Braking Systems for Car Towing - NSA RV Products at that site just click on towing laws and it list each state and there law. Good Thread
Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel