RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2016, 11:41 AM   #121
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: CA desert
Posts: 168
That chart is 35+ years old and somewhat outdated due to synthetic fluid and improved friction materials. I used to own a tranny shop and posted that chart as an upsale vehicle. Made a lot of money based upon that chart.
joshuajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 11:54 AM   #122
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 2,024
From what I see, most people tend to neglect the transmission. They change their oil regularly and forget about the box. It needs changed too and the filter on a regular basis, especially if you tow something, external cooler or not.

I change my E4OD every spring, with a new filter too. I use Dexton Mercon because it's a '97 box.

Allisons especially need regular changes and filters and OEM Allison fluid too.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 04:05 PM   #123
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Where the stars at night are big and bright
Posts: 818
Just returned from a trip to Rapid City SD then the mountains of New Mexico. Tranny ran 190 to 195 in my 2014 Tahoe with the heavy tow package pulling a 24.5 ft SolAire 20 RBS. Mostly flat with some hills. On one long, steep climb we got up to 205 but no higher. It normally runs at about 175 in the summer just going down the road. Running with a 5.3 liter V8, 6-speed auto and a 3.43 rear end. We were getting between 8 and 11 mpg, averaging about 9 mpg while towing. I made sure I washed the tranny cooler and A/C condenser to get rid of bug guts and road oils before we left. It definitely helped.
__________________
2015 Palomino SolAire 20RBS
2017 1500 Silverado LTZ Z71 with 6.2L, 8-speed & tow package
2015: 18 days; 2016: 21 days; 2017: 19 days; 2018: 26 days; 2019: 8 days (so far)
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 04:21 PM   #124
Senior Member
 
raspivey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Brazoria County, Texas
Posts: 1,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchilero53 View Post
Just returned from a trip to Rapid City SD then the mountains of New Mexico. Tranny ran 190 to 195 in my 2014 Tahoe with the heavy tow package pulling a 24.5 ft SolAire 20 RBS. Mostly flat with some hills. On one long, steep climb we got up to 205 but no higher. It normally runs at about 175 in the summer just going down the road. Running with a 5.3 liter V8, 6-speed auto and a 3.43 rear end. We were getting between 8 and 11 mpg, averaging about 9 mpg while towing. I made sure I washed the tranny cooler and A/C condenser to get rid of bug guts and road oils before we left. It definitely helped.
That's about the exact same thing I get with a 2012 pulling almost 33'. My last one was almost the same size as yours and temps / mileage weren't much different there either. After you get them rolling, there's almost no difference in temps and mileage unless you're into some steep hills.
__________________
2015 Chevy Silverado LTZ - HD tow package
2017 Rockwood 2703WS Emerald Edition
raspivey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 05:11 PM   #125
Who Dares, Wins
 
doc73's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Chester County, PA
Posts: 6,644
She for my 2010 silverado with similar tow weights.
__________________

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 07:33 PM   #126
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 2,024
My E4 in my 7.3 always runs around 195 no matter of I run empty or pull my 24 foot gooseneck overloaded with round bales.... I've put upwards of 20 grand on the deck. Way more than pulling any trailer of fiver.

I run 2 Hayden swirl cool transmission coolers.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 07:41 AM   #127
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Warsaw,NC
Posts: 7,184
I may have a problem with my transmission, I thought my hitch was the reason I felt something that bumps when the transmission drops out of high like when I'm pulling the camper up at mountain. The same thing happened yesterday and I wasn't pulling anything, just passing a car.


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 07:51 AM   #128
Senior Member
 
northstar1960's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: in my new 29hfsxlr
Posts: 1,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I may have a problem with my transmission, I thought my hitch was the reason I felt something that bumps when the transmission drops out of high like when I'm pulling the camper up at mountain. The same thing happened yesterday and I wasn't pulling anything, just passing a car.


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
check your u-joints . as far as temps go with the external cooler i run 165 when towing and up tp 195 when pulling the ike gantlet when i'm not towing about 145 . iput in a cooler t-stat in the motor and that helps even more . can't say enough about adding good external coolers
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 07:56 AM   #129
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Warsaw,NC
Posts: 7,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
check your u-joints . as far as temps go with the external cooler i run 165 when towing and up tp 195 when pulling the ike gantlet when i'm not towing about 145 . iput in a cooler t-stat in the motor and that helps even more . can't say enough about adding good external coolers

Thanks. I'll do that


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:35 AM   #130
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I may have a problem with my transmission, I thought my hitch was the reason I felt something that bumps when the transmission drops out of high like when I'm pulling the camper up at mountain. The same thing happened yesterday and I wasn't pulling anything, just passing a car.


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Spock, what type/kind of rig you driving????
Davidjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:56 AM   #131
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 2,024
In this modern age of 'sealed for life' components, life can be real short, especially with universal joints. I run Super U's myself. They have Alemite fittings. Changed out mine during the first year I owned the truck. Why? Because I knew I'd be using the truck for something other that picking up groceries.

Sure way to tell if your trans is having issues is pull the dipstick and have a look at the fluid. If it's brown or smells like an overdone cookie, it's time for AAMCO.

Don't know what trans you have but I will tell you that an Allison must have regular service. Actually, every box needs regular service, even a manual one. I even change my differential fluids every other year. 85-140 is cheap compared to pinion or ring gear failure.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 12:55 PM   #132
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Warsaw,NC
Posts: 7,184
I have a 2012 Silverado 3500HD SWR 4X4. It has 90,000 miles on the speedometer


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 01:00 PM   #133
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Warsaw,NC
Posts: 7,184
Transmission fluid and all the other fluids was changed last year, that was not cheap. I told Jeff Gordon in Wilmington NC to change the transmission fluid and flush the transmission out and they changed everything that had fluid. They put a new filter in the transmission


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 01:14 PM   #134
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 2,024
'Flushing' any transmission scares me. No need to unless it's neglected. 'Flushing' any box can cause more issues than good because it can dislodge crud and foul the valve body.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 02:48 PM   #135
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Warsaw,NC
Posts: 7,184
I checked the transmission fluid and it looks brand new


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 03:57 PM   #136
Senior Member
 
f5moab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Idaho
Posts: 2,058
I was told by a GM transmission engineer (retired now) that if the trans is flushed regularly it is perfectly ok and recommended. Providing:

You use the same type of fluid that will be going into the trans (with GM Dexron) and never use a chemical flush (especially the stuff sold by the quick lube places);

And make sure it is a good machine; his recommendation at the time was a Kent Moore used in GM dealerships and again, stay away from places like Grease Monkey.

One thing a flush will do that a trans fluid change cannot do, is change out all the fluid. Depending on trans and torque converter, over half of the fluid is not changed in the torque converter, the cooler lines and the cooler(s). In the old days, the torque converters had a drain plug, new ones don't.

I had my Hummer trans flushed twice while living in Moab and never had a problem. However, like many, I have the trans fluid changed out quite often if towing or like with the Hummer; climbing rock steps in 115 degree heat.

But like the 3K oil change many will disagree, some will swear by a flush, some will swear at a flush.

I'll get flushes, if I ever keep a truck over 16K miles/two years.
__________________
Trailer: Lifted 228BH, heavy duty springs and Yokohama tires DELAMINATED ROOF
TV: 2016 GMC Sierra Z71 4x4 CC, SLT
Spare TV: Two Alaskan Malamutes

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 05:31 PM   #137
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Warsaw,NC
Posts: 7,184
Well Jeff Gordon Chevrolet in Wilmington NC did mine, I know nothing about engines or how to work on them. Changing the oil is it for me. I take my Silverado to where I brought the truck at and they fix it, it has worked for me on this 3500 and on the 2500 before that. Both diesels, they tell me what it needs and I let them fix it. They at first told me I didn't need to get the fluid changed but I told them I towed a camper


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:08 PM   #138
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Where the stars at night are big and bright
Posts: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by raspivey View Post
That's about the exact same thing I get with a 2012 pulling almost 33'. My last one was almost the same size as yours and temps / mileage weren't much different there either. After you get them rolling, there's almost no difference in temps and mileage unless you're into some steep hills.
You are pulling the 33' with the Tahoe? You are a lot braver than I am!! You are pushing your tow limits with that unit. We looked at larger units but the weights were a concern. I try to keep my loaded weight under 85% of the actual tow capacity of 8200 lbs (6970 lbs) to avoid over stressing the engine/transmission. Tahoes are well-built, but even they have their limits.
__________________
2015 Palomino SolAire 20RBS
2017 1500 Silverado LTZ Z71 with 6.2L, 8-speed & tow package
2015: 18 days; 2016: 21 days; 2017: 19 days; 2018: 26 days; 2019: 8 days (so far)
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 11:21 PM   #139
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
Well Jeff Gordon Chevrolet in Wilmington NC did mine, I know nothing about engines or how to work on them. Changing the oil is it for me. I take my Silverado to where I brought the truck at and they fix it, it has worked for me on this 3500 and on the 2500 before that. Both diesels, they tell me what it needs and I let them fix it. They at first told me I didn't need to get the fluid changed but I told them I towed a camper


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Spock,
Not being versed in gm trans as I am a Ford tech dealing with only Powertrains for the last 20 years, your description coupled with your mileage would have me looking at possible excessive clearance or sticking solenoids (shift) for the respective clutch in the downshift you feel the jerk in. If the jerk downshift can be described as harsh and you can feel it running solo (no trailer/load) this would be my first thought. As one has stated it is possible for a u-joint but normaly this will be coupled with driveline vibration either under load or on coast. If you have a carrier brg on a 2 piece driveshaft I would also look closely at the rubber mounting to retainer strap for slack. Not knowing more information and being unable to feel the problem I would suggest duplicating the problem while taking a mechanic on a test drive possibly with the trailer in tow if it is more severe. On the Fords running aftermarket programmers we see excessive Direct clutch wear creating issues on downshift mainly in the torque shifts both 5-6 speed styles. This is normally caused by the programming and the constant shifting they create. I'm not against programmers by any means but it is good knowledge to know.
Davidjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 12:22 AM   #140
Senior Member
 
raspivey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Brazoria County, Texas
Posts: 1,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchilero53 View Post
You are pulling the 33' with the Tahoe? You are a lot braver than I am!! You are pushing your tow limits with that unit. We looked at larger units but the weights were a concern. I try to keep my loaded weight under 85% of the actual tow capacity of 8200 lbs (6970 lbs) to avoid over stressing the engine/transmission. Tahoes are well-built, but even they have their limits.
It's close but I'm not over on anything. Upgraded the tires and put a decent hitch on it. I'm only about 7300 loaded. It's not going to win any races but it does well enough. Handles and brakes well, doesn't get pushed around too much. I take care of it and don't push it hard so, no more than I tow with it, I'm not too worried about it holding up.
__________________
2015 Chevy Silverado LTZ - HD tow package
2017 Rockwood 2703WS Emerald Edition
raspivey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
transmission temperature

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:11 PM.