Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2016, 04:19 PM   #21

Tyre Pressures

Tyre pressures can change depending on the type of tyres and road surfaces and climate temperature tow vehicle weight and van weight.
I have a 2004 model F250 4x4 Truck 7.3 liter engine,and a Flagstaff Super lite 5th wheeler, I have used several types of tyres, the original Goodyear Wranglers delaminated I was using 50psi temp was average 90deg F, had a good run with Mikey Thompson at 55psi, switched to Bridgestone and found 60psi worked best, the 5th wheeler arrived here in Australia with 2 ply sidewall tyres which lasted 250 miles 1st blowout at 50psi temperature was around 100degrees F, fitted 8 ply wall 4x4 tyres set at 50psi had no problems in last 3 years now, hope this may help people out there
Trevor Williamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 05:18 PM   #22
Cutty

Don't buy LT"s, From advice on this forum I upgraded to LT tires on my 1500 Suburban and never run over 42lbs unless I'm pulling my trailer & here's the main reason. It will blow out your pressure sensors & It will constantly warn you that you are overrated and there is no way to stop it from doing this unless you keep it under 45lbs. If your camper is big enough to need LT tires buy a truck that requires LT tires like I did and enjoy the nice ride on your second vehicle with very expense LT tires that wont be warranted over 5 years because they will be dry rotted or have ozone cracking. . .
bbcutright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 05:21 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcutright View Post
Don't buy LT"s, From advice on this forum I upgraded to LT tires on my 1500 Suburban and never run over 42lbs unless I'm pulling my trailer & here's the main reason. It will blow out your pressure sensors & It will constantly warn you that you are overrated and there is no way to stop it from doing this unless you keep it under 45lbs. If your camper is big enough to need LT tires buy a truck that requires LT tires like I did and enjoy the nice ride on your second vehicle with very expense LT tires that wont be warranted over 5 years because they will be dry rotted or have ozone cracking. . .

Or........... Take it to the dealer to adjust the threshold.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 07-09-2016, 05:42 PM   #24
Cutty

Tried that and was told by the very qualified GM tech that it was not possible. Legal issues and towing capacities make that impossible because people will over load vehicles and tires and then sue when everything goes wrong. If you have a way to over ride GM's computer program and make everyone's vehicle capable of being overloaded because they bought LT's and think that's the fix then in all conscious do so. Its just not safe! Why buy $1000 tires when PT's will do the job for less than half the price and be safe and get a better ride.
bbcutright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 06:35 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcutright View Post
Why buy $1000 tires when PT's will do the job for less than half the price and be safe and get a better ride.

Ive changed threshold on ford and dodge.

We'll just agree to disagree on the passenger tire part...

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 07-09-2016, 06:40 PM   #26

P rated tires on my 2016 Sierra 4X4 6.2 w/max tow pkg

A lot of good feedback from the forum...and, as expected, a lot of different views! Not surprised. So, after towing with the new truck about 1000 miles or so on my GY P rated tires, I'm comfortable with running at near max PSI as stated on the sidewall. With my wdh dialed in, sway control, and proper distribution of weight, she towed nicely. Now on to a cross country trip next month. As the locals here say..."hey ya'll, watch this!"

Thanks all.
martinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 06:40 AM   #27

For the record, I've got about 9k miles on my LT's now. Yes, I notice the improvement in stability. No, I haven't had any TPMS alarms, etc.

Regarding cost, if buying the same tire, LT and PT are within $50 for a set. At least they were when I purchased (Michelin LTX M/S).

tragusa3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing