Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2020, 08:29 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 10
Max towing speed

I will be dinghy towing a 2011 SRX starting this summer. The owners manual and online research indicates max towing speed is 65 MPH. My question is should I never exceed 65 or a short distance (less than 1/8 mile when braking downhill) over 65 isn't a problem. Looking for your thoughts and experiences.
Thanks, Jay
JDEthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 07:42 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
SeaDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Idaho
Posts: 7,638
I don't believe that short excursions past 65 will be a problem its the constant over 65 that is not good.
__________________
Retired Navy
Jake my sidekick (yellow Lab) 10/04 - 05/20
2017 RAM 2500 CC 4X4 Cummins Diesel
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 02:24 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
thebrakeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Canton, Michigan
Posts: 1,348
x2
__________________
thebrakeman ('70), DW ('71), DD ('99), DD ('01), DD ('05)
2004 Surveyor SV261T (UltraLite Bunkhouse Hybrid)
2006 Mercury Mountaineer V8 AWD Premier
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 02:34 PM   #4
Site Team
 
KyDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 9,079
It totally depends on how it handles at any speed. If it's stable with little or no tendency to fishtail then brief excursions above 65 especially when passing etc are probably fine.
__________________
Peace!
Dan & Rita D
2017 Nissan Titan 5.6L King cab 4wd
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41
KyDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 07:46 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 665
Look at the speed rating for your trailer tires. A lot of st tires were speed rated to 65, but that seems to be changing. That being said, 65 is a comfortable towing speed.
__________________
2019 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2018 F 150 Supercrew 6.5 bed 3.5 EB Max Tow
Jfkmk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 10:04 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
DieselDrax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Monticello, IL
Posts: 1,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfkmk View Post
Look at the speed rating for your trailer tires. A lot of st tires were speed rated to 65, but that seems to be changing. That being said, 65 is a comfortable towing speed.

Theyíre not towing a trailer...
__________________
2017 GMC Canyon - CCLB, 4x4, 2.8L Duramax, ARE Z-series shell
2013 Shamrock 21SS
DieselDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 11:23 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
Theyíre not towing a trailer...
Why then is the title of the thread "max towing speed"?
Jfkmk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 11:29 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
DieselDrax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Monticello, IL
Posts: 1,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfkmk View Post
Why then is the title of the thread "max towing speed"?

I think if you read the actual post you'll figure it out. Did you really just read the subject and reply without reading what the OP was specifically asking about?
__________________
2017 GMC Canyon - CCLB, 4x4, 2.8L Duramax, ARE Z-series shell
2013 Shamrock 21SS
DieselDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 11:29 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfkmk View Post
Why then is the title of the thread "max towing speed"?
Because they are towing a daily driver behind their motor home.
__________________
_______________
2020 Plat F350 diesel DRW
2021 Riverstone Legacy 37mre
filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 11:34 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by filthy-Beast View Post
Because they are towing a daily driver behind their motor home.
Just realized that! Must be cabin feaver setting in.
Jfkmk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 11:57 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
I think if you read the actual post you'll figure it out. Did you really just read the subject and reply without reading what the OP was specifically asking about?
Isn't that what happens on most threads? What other reason could there be for all these threads where the OP asks a question and receives 15-20 replies that are more or less identical to one another?
__________________
-Qwkynuf

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 12:00 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
DieselDrax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Monticello, IL
Posts: 1,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf View Post
Isn't that what happens on most threads? What other reason could there be for all these threads where the OP asks a question and receives 15-20 replies that are more or less identical to one another?

I mean, the phenomenon of not reading the entire thread before replying is nothing new and why so many posts are saying the same thing, but only reading the thread's subject and not the actual post is much less common. If that's even what happened here. Could be they skimmed the post and didn't pay attention to the details.


I think we're all getting a little stir crazy, too.
__________________
2017 GMC Canyon - CCLB, 4x4, 2.8L Duramax, ARE Z-series shell
2013 Shamrock 21SS
DieselDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 04:12 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
I mean, the phenomenon of not reading the entire thread before replying is nothing new and why so many posts are saying the same thing, but only reading the thread's subject and not the actual post is much less common. If that's even what happened here. Could be they skimmed the post and didn't pay attention to the details.

I think we're all getting a little stir crazy, too.
Yup, this is what happened, i skimmed the post. If only i were perfect....sigh
Jfkmk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 07:38 AM   #14
Site Team
 
KyDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 9,079
"I will be dinghy towing a 2011 SRX starting this summer."

I didn't even know what that meant.
I saw towing and posted a response in line with what I thought was relevant.
__________________
Peace!
Dan & Rita D
2017 Nissan Titan 5.6L King cab 4wd
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41
KyDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 07:57 AM   #15
Kanadian Kamper
 
kenandterry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,109
SRX could have meant some model of trailer, but the OP was probably talking about his toad......a 2011 Cadillac SRX.

A little more information, rather than not enough, is always better.
__________________

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S with Trekker cap
and only rarely pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 08:00 AM   #16
Kanadian Kamper
 
kenandterry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfkmk View Post
Yup, this is what happened, i skimmed the post. If only i were perfect....sigh
Yeah, I thought I made a mistake once, but I was wrong, so Iím still perfect.....but it takes a lot of work to maintain perfection.
__________________

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S with Trekker cap
and only rarely pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 09:23 AM   #17
Site Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Northen IL
Posts: 5,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Yeah, I thought I made a mistake once, but I was wrong, so Iím still perfect.....but it takes a lot of work to maintain perfection.
My dad used to have a shirt that said: "I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken."

I also have a perfect memory. I don't remember a single thing I've forgotten.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 09:32 AM   #18
Kanadian Kamper
 
kenandterry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
My dad used to have a shirt that said: "I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken."

I also have a perfect memory. I don't remember a single thing I've forgotten.
I think my dad had that same shirt.....but then Iím dyslexic.
__________________

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S with Trekker cap
and only rarely pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
towing

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:39 AM.