Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2020, 04:56 PM   #1

Mounting Prodigy RF on my trailer

Hi All,

I just bought an A122S. I am trying to install a Prodigy brake controller on the trailer frame. Perhaps my drill is not powerful enough but I am having trouble drilling through very thick steel. Is this correct - i.e., I need to drill 4 holes through the steel frame at the front of the trailer?

I kind of feel that I would rather not do this - it seems so structurally important... Does anyone have a mounting frame they may have designed to install without drilling screws into the metal frame? Or some other solution?

If not, do I need a different drill? I am using the self-drilling screws provided wit the Prodigy unit. It barely makes a dent.

Thanks!!
ElenaBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 05:08 PM   #2
Site Team

Would be way easier and dependable to just install a standard Prodigy.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 05:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Would be way easier and dependable to just install a standard Prodigy.
I believe the only thing special with this unit is the remote control. I have an Audi SQ5 and I do not want to mess with the wiring. It is the unit I am going with.

There are lots of people who have the same unit, and I have seen many reviews saying installation was very easy. I am just not finding it so and want to make sure I am doing things right, and not missing a solution that allows me to also just remove the unit when I want to for security....
Old 06-13-2020, 05:49 PM   #4

I have heard great things about that unit.

Buy a set of cobalt drill bits.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 07:27 PM   #5

Those self drilling screws are made for thin, mild steel or aluminum, not nearly strong and sharp enough for what you are describing, as said above, get a good drill bit and the job will get a lot easier.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 08:43 PM   #6

Thanks all, it is helpful. I decided to keep at it and got two screws done. The screws themselves did not strip but it nearly killed my drill. I definitely need a better drill and the rest will be easy.
Old 06-14-2020, 12:51 PM   #7

I have the same RF controller for our VW Tiguan and small 14 foot travel trailer. My suggestion is you first drill holes with a small diameter drill bit and then follow up with the larger self tapping screws provided with the controller . This works much easier. We are very happy with our controller. It works well and means no drilling into the dash.
Tiguan Tow r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 01:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiguan Tow r View Post
I have the same RF controller for our VW Tiguan and small 14 foot travel trailer. My suggestion is you first drill holes with a small diameter drill bit and then follow up with the larger self tapping screws provided with the controller . This works much easier. We are very happy with our controller. It works well and means no drilling into the dash.
Awesome suggestion - thanks. No better learning than by doing + experienced tips always help! I bought this 2017 unit from a private seller, after I walked away from a dealer that just would not negotiate. The dealer called me later hoping for a deal and then said that as I did not buy from them, I am not a customer and it would be a very long wait if I wanted to do maintenance with them. Really! Haha. I am a fast learner and forums like this are a fantastic, helpful community.
Old 06-14-2020, 01:48 PM   #9

Agree with the good drill, quality bits for a pilot hole and I use a few drops of thread cutting oil to preserve the bit quality and help grip the metal to sink the bit and self tapping screws. Just do not get the oil inside the drill housing or mix it up with a lubricant. Keep it some where away from lubricants in your storage area.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mount, trailer