Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2018, 07:26 AM   #41

It goes without saying, running boards are a must. The trucks are tall. Do not fit in standard suburban garages.

If you are over 60 the standard boards are too high. Higher than a normal step. Necessary to provide ground clearance.

The more expensive automatic deploying running boards are a bit lower.

It matters for seniors. No, we did not realize this when we bought!

About another grand.

On our Ram in Ohio the rather rare window defroster have never been needed. The angle of the glass does not collect snow. Wife always plugs in at night. Costs $.10 a night but the heater works fast! On a timer.

The dealers charge $100 to install the extension cord for the block heater. Cummins stalls the heater at the factory. They are available for $45 on Line. Likely not needed in most of the USA.

Adding a cabin air filter is easy. You need a filter, door and a knife. They may be included today.

The fancy aftermarket floor mats fit really well. Easy.

The white and other fancy extra cost paints are more expensive to repair minor damage. Three stages of painting. Any repair will cost over $1000. We have the white. Really pretty.

Ford has a really good idea putting a step in the rear bumper. I can get into the bed without a ladder, however it is not dignified!

Get the biggest fuel tank available. 30 gallons is just ok. 4 hours.

Dear wife loves her 2016 Ram. We have the short bed. Installed the B&W goose ball. Easy install. The factory pucks are a better and cheaper option. I really like that B&W hitch that installs in the square opening. Very adjustable.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 08:29 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Wow, you must carry a lot of really heavy stuff. We got a ‘17 Big Horn Aisan dually last summer and immediately visited a CAT scale. With a full tank of fuel, driver and one pax it weighed 8,380 pounds. That leaves a remaining payload of 5,620. We know the pin weight is 3,200 pounds with all the horses on board so that leaves 2,400 pounds to work with. Even if I could find that much stuff where would I put it?

I am a regular at the scales too, same as you and good for us knowing our weights.
2013 Laramie Longhorn, CTD/Aisin, all options, air bags on rear axles, LineX spray in box liner, box cover, 80 gal. fuel tank, Andersen Ultimate (original), full set of tools, wife and I of average weight, small dog in crate on back seat, our daughter sometimes joins us and here is the kicker: 3780 pinweight bec. of 6 6Volt batteries, an inverter that weighs a ton and w/d in the bedroom closet, all tanks empty.

The weights below are from a DOT scale on Saturday night on the way back from having some warranty work done, no wife, nothing in the front storage compartment with the Ram 5500 Laramie, 160 gal fuel on board.
Truck F 2800 (6160)

Truck R 2800 (6160)

with 5th wheel:
Truck F 2630 (5786)
Truck R 4590 (10,098)

Trailer 6840 (15,048)

I carry this much fuel because we travel where there is sometimes no gas station for hours and if there is I can't get in.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 11:12 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
It goes without saying, running boards are a must. The trucks are tall. Do not fit in standard suburban garages.

If you are over 60 the standard boards are too high. Higher than a normal step. Necessary to provide ground clearance.

The more expensive automatic deploying running boards are a bit lower.

It matters for seniors. No, we did not realize this when we bought!

About another grand.

On our Ram in Ohio the rather rare window defroster have never been needed. The angle of the glass does not collect snow. Wife always plugs in at night. Costs $.10 a night but the heater works fast! On a timer.

The dealers charge $100 to install the extension cord for the block heater. Cummins stalls the heater at the factory. They are available for $45 on Line. Likely not needed in most of the USA.

Adding a cabin air filter is easy. You need a filter, door and a knife. They may be included today.

The fancy aftermarket floor mats fit really well. Easy.

The white and other fancy extra cost paints are more expensive to repair minor damage. Three stages of painting. Any repair will cost over $1000. We have the white. Really pretty.

Ford has a really good idea putting a step in the rear bumper. I can get into the bed without a ladder, however it is not dignified!

Get the biggest fuel tank available. 30 gallons is just ok. 4 hours.

Dear wife loves her 2016 Ram. We have the short bed. Installed the B&W goose ball. Easy install. The factory pucks are a better and cheaper option. I really like that B&W hitch that installs in the square opening. Very adjustable.
I have a Bed Step and a Bed Step II made by Amp Research on my truck use them all of the time. See attached picture sure makes getting in and out very easy and tucks up and away when you are moving.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fender Flares 02.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	321.5 KB
ID:	173664  
Old 05-28-2018, 11:18 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
I am a regular at the scales too, same as you and good for us knowing our weights.
2013 Laramie Longhorn, CTD/Aisin, all options, air bags on rear axles, LineX spray in box liner, box cover, 80 gal. fuel tank, Andersen Ultimate (original), full set of tools, wife and I of average weight, small dog in crate on back seat, our daughter sometimes joins us and here is the kicker: 3780 pinweight bec. of 6 6Volt batteries, an inverter that weighs a ton and w/d in the bedroom closet, all tanks empty.

The weights below are from a DOT scale on Saturday night on the way back from having some warranty work done, no wife, nothing in the front storage compartment with the Ram 5500 Laramie, 160 gal fuel on board.
Truck F 2800 (6160)

Truck R 2800 (6160)

with 5th wheel:
Truck F 2630 (5786)
Truck R 4590 (10,098)

Trailer 6840 (15,048)

I carry this much fuel because we travel where there is sometimes no gas station for hours and if there is I can't get in.
I had no idea the 5500 was that heavy. Even taking away the 1000+ pounds of fuel it’s still almost 3,000 pounds heavier than the 3500 Dually. What’s the truck’s max gross weight?
Old 05-28-2018, 11:23 AM   #45

I see some of the poster are suggesting a 4500 Cab and Chassis with a outlaw body on the truck, instead of the 3500 Crew Cab truck.
Will if they check the official Ram site called "Body Builders Guide" they would see that the 3500 has more load carrying ability than a 4500 C&C truck. So I would stay with the 3500 Crew Cab, 4:10 differential and Aisin transmission with the 6.7L Cummins.
Here is the Link: http://www.rambodybuilder.com/year.pdf
Old 05-28-2018, 11:33 AM   #46

Speaking of the factory nav system on the new Rams with uConnect (which seems to be installed in every 2500/3500 except the Tradesman) don’t waste your money. They have both Apple CarPlay and Google Auto built in. Just plug your phone to the center console USB and display its native nav systems on the screen. Both systems have maps that are far superior to the factory navigation program. All uConnect 8 inch displays have the nav built in but one has to fork over $700+ for the dealer to download the code that activates it. And, unlike Apple or Android, you have to pay for any future updates.

The CarPlay (and I assume Android) system will show a popup window if you receive a text message. One touch on the steering wheel button will make it read the message out loud then give you the option to reply.
Old 05-28-2018, 11:48 AM   #47
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Speaking of the factory nav system on the new Rams with uConnect (which seems to be installed in every 2500/3500 except the Tradesman) don’t waste your money. They have both Apple CarPlay and Google Auto built in. Just plug your phone to the center console USB and display its native nav systems on the screen. Both systems have maps that are far superior to the factory navigation program. All uConnect 8 inch displays have the nav built in but one has to fork over $700+ for the dealer to download the code that activates it. And, unlike Apple or Android, you have to pay for any future updates.

The CarPlay (and I assume Android) system will show a popup window if you receive a text message. One touch on the steering wheel button will make it read the message out loud then give you the option to reply.

And when your unconnect expires in year the texting features are no longer available unless you pay dearly for it unconnect. You can receive but not reply. Any Nav system from dealers is a rip off and only upgrades you get is new routes but never up date older ones.

Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 06:30 PM   #48

We swear by the F-450 !
awesome rig!!!
CDRJML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 08:50 PM   #49

I have a 2016 3500 SRW, 6.7 Crewcab Longbed, Rear air auto level, SLT. I have upgraded the radio to the 8.4 and would suggest that on yours. Also get the backup and cargo cameras. Work real nice with the 8.4 screen. Side steps are a must. Of course you'll want the fiver pucks in the bed. The truck automatically comes with a break controller. The DRW comes with 17" tires which lower your overall truck height. That is a good thing and these trucks keep getting taller and the RV's being pulled are not causing unlevel towing with some fivers.

I follow the Cummins and Ram forums and the rumor is that the 5th generation HD trucks won't be launched until 2020. FCA is moving production from Mexico to USA and between the new 5th generations and the plant being moved there is conjecture that 2020 may be too optimistic.

There's also the rumor that Cummins will be providing a new engine in the 5th generation that will not use DEF.
Minnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 09:06 PM   #50

Love our 2018 3500HD RAM
My must haves,
“Air Assist Rear Suspension”
Aisin Transmission
Running Boards
5th Wheel Puck System
Laramie Trim with Leather Bucket Seats
No Nav system, it already in the radio so if I change my mine the dealer activation fee is the same as window sticker option
Laramie trim gives you power folding tow mirrors, power sliding back window. Leather interior with heated and cooled seats, premium sound system, aluminum wheels and such
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 11:01 PM   #51

love my Ram 3500 Big Horn

My 4th new Ram in 25 years, every time I buy a new one I check out the fords and chevys. The Ram, hands down is the best of the three. My current Ram is the 3500 single, tow package with Jake brake, big diesel engine, and upgraded 6 speed automatic transmission, better truck for less money and tows my 30' trailer up and down the Rockies with ease.
USMC0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 07:02 AM   #52

Ram orders truck

I ordered my truck, best move I made. Got the leather for heat and cooled seats, 5th prep package, folding mirrors, push and and go (no key needed to start lock doors), folding under bumper step, wheel to wheel running boards, bed lights and roll up tonneau cover. I did not get bed camera and self leveling. I love it!
toys4dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 07:56 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
My wife and I are talking and think we are going to end up ordering a new truck in a couple of weeks.

We think we are most likely going to stick with a Ram 3500 dually again. We've had good luck with Dodges over the past 15 years (first a Durango and then the 3500).

What features would you deem must have for towing heavy (21k lbs. but less than 3,500 lbs. of pin weight).

It'll definitely be a crew cab / long bed and 4x4.
I'm assuming the 6.7L Cummins? You can tow up to 30k with dually depending on what final ratio you choose . According to RAM towing guide a 3.73 will tow 24,770
What kind of creature comforts are a must and which are "nice to have"?
Trim levels to some extent determine towing levels
https://www.ramtrucks.com/towing-guide.html
grunt 98444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 08:16 AM   #54
dgibbs1955

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
I would look at a Ford F 450 too. Many on the Heartland side that tow Bighorns and Landmark's have F 450's and great success with the added payload capacity for F 350. If we move to a Landmark I would not hesitate a SRW F 450 as it as he payload needed for a 18k Fifth Wheel.
Get ready for a big insurance premium increase because anything above a 350/3500, no matter the manufacturer, the vehicle will be considered a commercial vehicle and not a personal vehicle. Great to have the towing capability but at what cost???

2012 Dodge 3500 Cummins Crew Cab 4X4, "Decluttered" and Tuned/2020 Riverstone 39RKFB/2012 Harley Davidson Ultra Glide CVO.
Summer in Blair,Nebraska.
Winter at home in Azle, TX.
dgibbs1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 08:28 AM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgibbs1955 View Post
Get ready for a big insurance premium increase because anything above a 350/3500, no matter the manufacturer, the vehicle will be considered a commercial vehicle and not a personal vehicle. Great to have the towing capability but at what cost???
Well, technically, B and B's already considered as a commercial vehicle. Ontario considers all pickups, even if only used for personal use, as a commercial vehicle. Thankfully though, they also provide some personal use exemptions, but it can be confusing about which specific ones apply.

However, this is a . Should let the OP get back to his 'What Options' questions.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:55 PM   #56

Skip the Alcoa wheels and GPS

The pretty polished aluminum wheels make it a PITA to rotate your tires because the inside duals are plain steel. To do a proper rotation you have to swap tires from steel to aluminum wheels or do a partial rotation where inside duals are swapped side to side and the aluminum wheels are rotated in "forward -cross ".

Factory GPS can't be messed with unless the truck is in park, maps are inferior to Garmin/Rand McNally etc, map updates are approximately $140 per year. I have RM 7720.
wbdavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 01:38 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbdavey View Post
The pretty polished aluminum wheels make it a PITA to rotate your tires because the inside duals are plain steel. To do a proper rotation you have to swap tires from steel to aluminum wheels or do a partial rotation where inside duals are swapped side to side and the aluminum wheels are rotated in "forward -cross ".

Factory GPS can't be messed with unless the truck is in park, maps are inferior to Garmin/Rand McNally etc, map updates are approximately $140 per year. I have RM 7720.
Depending on trim levels only polished aluminum wheels are offered
Factory GPS system will work with the truck in gear other wise why would the OEM's offer it, watching movies and such? Not so much
grunt 98444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 02:05 PM   #58
Just A Member

Well - I am sitting here at FCA glancing through this thread while I wait for my program to finish running. We are working on the new HD trucks and I could tell you all about them but then again I like my job so you can all keep on guessing for awhile longer. Only thing I will say is I see a pre-production model sitting outside my window right now.
2013 Silverado 1500 4x4 6.2L Max Tow
EDABEUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 06:47 AM   #59
Georgia Rally Coordinator

I just got my 2018 2500 Ram and ordered it with the self leveling system and man neat thing to have when hooking up to my tt. Always order as that way you get what you want and not what dealer puts on them. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 10:07 AM   #60

Cummins with the Aisin transmission

I purchased a new 2017 3500 with the transmission above. I am sooo glad it did. Wonderful combination!
brodriques is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3500, 500