Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2020, 02:38 PM   #1
Maintenance Engineer

My tires have Chinese Flu, maybe?

Have you ever seen the old Discount Tire commercial where the woman throws the tire through the front window of the store?

I’m sitting at Discount Tire right now looking at their front window and it’s about to happen.

I don’t want to argue with an expert, but this guy is also the one who’s losing money on this deal so I’m not confident he has my best interest in mind or his own. I’m 53 and all I’ve ever used in my entire life are GoodYear tires, and I’ve never had this problem with any of them, he’s telling me this is normal on GoodYear tires. My exact same rear dually tires aren’t doing this, just the fronts. Ironically, this is the third time I’ve been here because the rear tires are fine, but both the front tires drop from the 80psi I keep them at to 64psi in a matter of two weeks. They keep telling me there are no leaks, obviously yes, there are leaks.

I run heavy duty 3500 factory steel rims, not some just to be pretty aluminum ones. I don’t hit curbs or drive off road. Would you trust driving on tires doing this while pulling 40 feet of toy hauler at 70mph like I do?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2A542452-F75E-4F5E-A565-A620153578E0.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	425.0 KB
ID:	226579  
Ampdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 02:46 PM   #2
Maintenance Engineer

Can we upload video here or will a before and after shot of their window have to do, because its about to happen...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FE7B7D77-F988-45D1-9498-48B243B8B81B.jpeg
Views:	154
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	226580  
Old 04-09-2020, 03:12 PM   #3
Site Team

That appears to be undulation to me. Feel on the opposite sidewall directly across from the indentations, and you should feel the same thing.

I have many posts here on "tire undulation". You can also google the term on the internet.

Undulation is where the plies are basically overlapping. Purely cosmetic, not damage to the tire. The higher the ply and air pressure, the more you can see it. It appears on some tires different than others. I can take about any tire and show you a form of it. You may see it in more than one spot on a tire.

If there is no indentation in the exact same spot on the opposite sidewall, then it can be a broke ply cord...but that's not what I think I'm seeing. It appears to be undulation.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 03:24 PM   #4
Site Team

Here is you a previous thread on it:

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post1287826

Now for a moderator warning. Should you do something illegal at this place and try to promote it or brag about in the forums, we will immediately ban your account. Feel free to contact me if you have questions.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...twork&page=tos

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 04-09-2020, 03:34 PM   #5
Maintenance Engineer

You aren’t the same guy I’m dealing with inside Discount Tire right now are you? I see you in there on the computer.

Seriously though, thanks, just like going to the doctor, a second opinion is good because this is something that could take someones life if one of these tires were to blow out on me. The Discount Tire guy said the same thing you just told me.

They still can’t figure out where I’m losing air at though. They took the tires off and polished the inside of my rim, I guess we’ll give that two weeks to see if it solves it.
Old 04-09-2020, 03:44 PM   #6
Site Team

If you will read the links previously provided, it will educate you somewhat on the matter, which is the purpose of our forums.

There is NEVER a need to post things here that come off as rage, blowhard rhetoric, argumentative, or over exaggerations. We understand you are new and still trying to get a feel here, and hopefully this post will be accepted as constructive.

Our posting site guidelines are located here.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ork&page=rules

Old 04-09-2020, 03:54 PM   #7

Make sure your valve cores are properly tightened. I had a tire that dropped about 20 psi overnight, no leaks detected. It was the valve core and overnight temperature drop was enough to let it leak down. It was fine during daytime temps. Took me about a week of airing it up every morning to figure it out.

Can't comment on the ripples, but Discount replaced an entire set of tires for me, after I quoted their add...they really resisted until then. That said, I have been one of their customers for over 30 years, with only a couple of instances that were less than satisfactory, each was corrected.
AZ Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 04:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampdraw View Post
he’s telling me this is normal on GoodYear tires.
It's also normal on Bridgestone, Michelin, Cooper, and just about any other radial tire made. Not all of them do it but some do and the amount deformation will vary.

It's a byproduct of radial tire construction and if the tire tread still runs true and you aren't experiencing ride disturbance there's no problem with the tire other than visual. If there is a valid issue where the tire is failing, the "bulge" (undulation) would extend considerably beyond the rest of the inflated tire's sidewall and the tread would have a bulge right next to it that would cause ride disturbance.

And yes, you can take 100 tires from the same factory mold and only a few will display this characterisic.

Only thing wrong about what the Discount Tire guy said is that he singled out Goodyear.

(BTW, I started dealing with radial tires in my career back in the mid 60's and ended my career after 17 years working for the largest non manufacturing distributor of tires in the nation as a corporate employee handling wheel service tech issues (tires, wheels, steering, suspension, brakes). 1455 stores directly owned by the Company as well as a franchising branch with another several hundred stores. Company also bought Midas. They also sell tires to just about every regional tire company like Les Schwab and dozens more around the country.

Until I retired 17 years ago I saw, touched, and smelled, so many tires even my breakfast cereal started to taste like them.)

Still don't believe me? Here's what Tire Rack has on their website regarding "tire sidewall undulations".

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=32

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 04:23 PM   #9
Maintenance Engineer

I’ve always used Discount Tire too and have always been satisfied, sometimes eventually, but always satisfied, I still hold onto the hope that someday I’ll get to toss one through their window like their commercials say you can, but their great service always foils my plans. They replaced the Schrader valves in these tires the first time, replaced the entire valve stem the second time, replaced the cores again this time but did polish the inside of the rim this time so hopefully that does it, going to take 2 weeks again to find out.

And good to know we have a few actual tire experts here, I can look up specs on paper, but nothing replaces that good real world years of experience some of you have from doing this professionally.
Old 04-09-2020, 04:29 PM   #10
Maintenance Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Until I retired 17 years ago I saw, touched, and smelled, so many tires even my breakfast cereal started to taste like them.)
That just begs the question, what tires do you run on your own truck?
Old 04-09-2020, 04:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Pete View Post
Make sure your valve cores are properly tightened. I had a tire that dropped about 20 psi overnight, no leaks detected. It was the valve core and overnight temperature drop was enough to let it leak down. It was fine during daytime temps. Took me about a week of airing it up every morning to figure it out.

Can't comment on the ripples, but Discount replaced an entire set of tires for me, after I quoted their add...they really resisted until then. That said, I have been one of their customers for over 30 years, with only a couple of instances that were less than satisfactory, each was corrected.
Back in the 90's there were a lot of "defective" valve cores entering the US market about the time the Chinese got into the manufacture of valve stems big time. Our dealers had a huge number of problems with tires loosing air.

The common fix was to just tighten the valve cores even more but that all too often just caused them to leak more.

One thing to help eliminate valve stem leakage is a simple "spit test". After checking air/inflating when the core has been disturbed, merely put some spit on your finger tip and apply to the opening until it forms a wet layer across the opening (like in one of those rings you dip in soap and blow bubbles for the kids). If it just stays flat for as long as you can stand to look at it, chances are it's not the core.

Another area that's always been a problem with metal stems, is the rubber gaskets used to seal the stem to the rim. Time and temperature can cause them to crack and leak. Improper installation, like being left loose at the nut, can also cause them to leak.

One can use a spray bottle with plain water along with a small amount of dish detergent (no more than a Tbsp). Spray on stems, both opening and at base. Do this for each and as you walk back around the vehicle even small leaks will start to create a foam of small bubbles.

Old 04-09-2020, 04:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Coopers that I buy from my local tire dealer I've known since the 70's.

Old 04-09-2020, 04:35 PM   #13

Quote:
I’ve always used Discount Tire too and have always been satisfied, sometimes eventually, but always satisfied, I still hold onto the hope that someday I’ll get to toss one through their window like their commercials say you can, but their great service always foils my plans. They replaced the Schrader valves in these tires the first time, replaced the entire valve stem the second time, replaced the cores again this time but did polish the inside of the rim this time so hopefully that does it, going to take 2 weeks again to find out.

And good to know we have a few actual tire experts here, I can look up specs on paper, but nothing replaces that good real world years of experience some of you have from doing this professionally.
So far only one person has done that. Did $500 worth of damage but the info doesn't say if the person got the bill along with a citation for vandalism, malicious mischief, or whatever.

Want to be careful regardless because trying to toss a tire like shown in the ad can do some serious damage to parts of your body unless you're a "strongman competitor".

The Medical bills could ad up more to damages and fines.

Old 04-09-2020, 05:22 PM   #14

Originally Posted by TitanMike

Quote:
I think that begs the question, what kind of breakfast cereal was Titan Mike eating?!?!? ("Hey, even Mikey likes it!!")
Old 04-09-2020, 05:36 PM   #15

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Have you ever seen the old Discount Tire commercial where the woman throws the tire through the front window of the store?

I’m sitting at Discount Tire right now looking at their front window and it’s about to happen.

I don’t want to argue with an expert, but this guy is also the one who’s losing money on this deal so I’m not confident he has my best interest in mind or his own. I’m 53 and all I’ve ever used in my entire life are GoodYear tires, and I’ve never had this problem with any of them, he’s telling me this is normal on GoodYear tires. My exact same rear dually tires aren’t doing this, just the fronts. Ironically, this is the third time I’ve been here because the rear tires are fine, but both the front tires drop from the 80psi I keep them at to 64psi in a matter of two weeks. They keep telling me there are no leaks, obviously yes, there are leaks.

I run heavy duty 3500 factory steel rims, not some just to be pretty aluminum ones. I don’t hit curbs or drive off road. Would you trust driving on tires doing this while pulling 40 feet of toy hauler at 70mph like I do?
If the tire are leaking that much a dip tank would show it. It possible the quality of compounding has suffered on GY tires. Grew up in a Tire family here. Father his 3 Brothers and 2 cousins. They used to throw out more rubber than used because of poor quality. Might be today they use it.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 05:40 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneSouth10 View Post
Originally Posted by TitanMike

I think that begs the question, what kind of breakfast cereal was Titan Mike eating?!?!? ("Hey, even Mikey likes it!!")
Never mattered, it all tasted the same

I met my late wife while she was working for one of our franchisees. We both agreed that new tires could really mess up your sense of smell. To me, the worst of all were Dunlop tires. If I walked into a store I could tell if they had Dunlop tires in the racks. Don't know what it was but it was a weird smell like no other tire.

Old 04-09-2020, 06:03 PM   #17

Air loss: Out of numerous vehicles with alloy wheels, I had one car in which all 4 wheels needed air every week or two. New stems, reseated the tires, wire brush on a drill around the wheel nothing helped. No bubbles showed in the water tank. The shop finally applied a bead sealant. After that, one wheel could go three to four weeks before needing air and the rest were fine.
Keystoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 06:04 PM   #18

those pictures posted by you earlier of the "undulations" ( did not know what they were called) I have had on my tires in the past without any problems... as I now recall higher load range larger tires had them worse then smaller tires... Just another person saying to not worry about those layers showing up on the outside of the tires... and another source of information...
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=32

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 08:17 PM   #19
Maintenance Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
those pictures posted by you earlier of the "undulations" ( did not know what they were called)
I know right lol, it’s hard to search something when you didn’t know there was already a name for it, had I known the name already I wouldn’t have needed to search for it. When we bought our Mercedes GL I had just ordered new tires for it since the ones on it were fairly new but cheap tires I could tell they obviously put on it to help sell it, the day before my new tires came in I happened to notice what looked like a golf ball trying to escape out the sidewall from inside. I’m pretty sure that wasn’t normal with the big round golf ball size bulge in the side wall. I was leery just walking near it, let alone driving it to the tire shop.
Old 04-10-2020, 02:59 PM   #20

Tire leaks and dish soap

I'm a little surprised that no one mentioned pure dish soap for sealing leaks in tires. With the wheel still on the vehicle, I remove the valve stem, let the tire deflate, put a short plastic (or rubber) hose with a funnel on end over the valve stem, fill the funnel with liquid dish soap, (no preference but I use Palmolive) and slowly jack the vehicle back up. The vacuum effect pulls the dish soap into the tire. Depending on the size I would use anywhere from 6 to 12 oz per tire. Then reinstall the valve stem, inflate the tire and go for a ride. This distributes the liquid soap around the inside and will seal any small leaks. I've had very good luck with this on a number of vehicles. Of course, this is after checking for nails, leaky stems, etc first.

2018 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT Duramax
Chazman is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires