Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2022, 07:23 PM   #1
beginer

My very first RV towing experience

In March 2022 in my vacation trip from Citrus Heights to Los Angeles I towed KIA SOUL by my Ford Sunseeker Forester RV. By entering Bakersfield Kern County on Freeway 99 at Sandrini Road Exit 7 KIA Soul started to burn. I called 911 and start using fire extinguishers. When I saw that the fire flared up even more and could spread to the RV, I began to unhook the car from the RV. Brand new towing hitch get stuck and I get help from "Good Samaritans" yang couple who help me with hummer to unlock the hitch.
I received burns and cuts on my hands, and the rear wall of the RV was slightly deformed and the glass on the signal lamps melted from the high temperature.

All glasses on signals are burned, but they working. Now I'm locking for to change that glasses. Problem is that I can't go to nearest Camping World just because my horrible experience with them. I suspect that mechanic who install that new towing package to KIA has no clue about electricity and that is case the burning.

With KIA burned four chairs for the RV parking lot and for the beach, and also, very importantly, my wife's wheelchair burned down in that car. From that moment on, my wife and I began to rent places for RVs on advance for every two months only in Carpinteria SB to be near the ocean. Because in Leo Carrillo where are we been headed in that day, the ocean is far away and we was able to be on the beach just few times during our weekend. My wife have problem to walk.

I wrote letter to Marcus Lemonis, CEO of Camping World with my question: "Sir, just give to me one reason I should ever again, by having this kind of experience, just look for service into Camping World.
Of course, I received a refund from my insurance, but it's very hard to realize and go buy again that wheelchair for my wife to be able to rent parking space in any other available campsite to be able to care her near the ocean".

As a Good Sam Member I wrote email to MarcusVIP@goodsam.com in the Subject: "You said "If You're Not Happy, I'm Not Happy". By provide attached letter and photo's I add: "Sir, I am a happy person, but sometimes I get frustrated by the laziness and stupidity that surrounds me".

And I received answer: "Hello and thank you for connecting with us! I am getting your message to the proper department. If you have any further questions, please give us a call at (800) 234- 3450. Thank you for being a part of the Good Sam family!

Have a good trip!
-Nicolas
Marcus’ VIP Customer Care Team"

Will see what happens. I seen Marcus Lemonis many time on TV shows. He seems yo me Respectful man. I wont to see how he will fix the problem and his company located in Rocklin and Roseville. Just what to see what kind of REASON he will give to me to asking for service in Camping World ever again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013 KIA SOUL 5.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	423.0 KB
ID:	271943   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013 KIA SOUL 2.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	489.0 KB
ID:	271944   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013 KIA SOUL 3.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	527.0 KB
ID:	271945   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019 Forest River 1.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	353.8 KB
ID:	271946   Click image for larger version

Name:	Left arm.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	430.8 KB
ID:	271947  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Right arm.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	407.8 KB
ID:	271948   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vera at Leo Carrillo.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	586.2 KB
ID:	271949  
rushhohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 07:40 PM   #2

So sorry to hear that you got injured and your wife's wheelchair was destroyed and other damage.
Do you know what caused the fire? KIA Soul's have a bad reputation for catching on fire. What model was the KIA Soul?
Old 04-22-2022, 08:33 PM   #3
beginer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
So sorry to hear that you got injured and your wife's wheelchair was destroyed and other damage.
Do you know what caused the fire? KIA Soul's have a bad reputation for catching on fire. What model was the KIA Soul?
2013 Kia Soul. Insurance fire agent called me by saying it was a hole in the engine. He said that it's about old oil. When I told him I didn't drive that car just towed only over 300 miles he was very surprised.
Old 04-22-2022, 08:50 PM   #4

Insurance fire agent called me by saying it was a hole in the engine. He said that it's about old oil

Hole in the engine? Old oil?
Capacitor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 09:22 PM   #5
beginer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capacitor View Post
Insurance fire agent called me by saying it was a hole in the engine. He said that it's about old oil

Yes. I asked him is it like bullet hole? He said no but he seen a lot of burned Kia Soul with the hole and he decided that from old oils or he couldn't figure out why. But when he gets to know my Kia was just towed he was very surprised
Old 04-22-2022, 09:24 PM   #6

The oil has been in there since 2013? I drive a KIA Soul with very low mileage and change it once a year whether it technically needs it or not. Was that a manual transmission KIA?

So it was the car that caused the fire and not the rv. You can't blame Forest River or Camping World for the fire. Hopefully insurance will cover the cost and you're on the mend.
Old 04-22-2022, 09:36 PM   #7

Are you sure the manual transmission was in neutral?
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 09:58 PM   #8
beginer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
Are you sure the manual transmission was in neutral?
Yes, transmission was in neutral and a key in first click. I think that fire agent able to figure out if "transmission was in neutral and a key in first click" he could tell me. He just surprised about that hole and that the engine wasn't working and transmission not evolved in the ride.
Old 04-22-2022, 10:40 PM   #9
beginer

Quote:
The oil has been in there since 2013? I drive a KIA Soul with very low mileage and change it once a year whether it technically needs it or not. Was that a manual transmission KIA?
I bought this car with 102K from dealer in October 2021 with SMOG and other inspection documents. In December Camping World installed towing package. How that was installed is another story.

Quote:
So it was the car that caused the fire and not the rv. You can't blame Forest River or Camping World for the fire. Hopefully insurance will cover the cost and you're on the mend.
By communicated with them I'm just found out that folks was very surprised of the order. They made estimate in November and reputedly tell me about the price and I should pay for parts first. So I paid and wait till get some respond about when I should bring my car. I was keep calling and live messages but no answer. Finally I get call from them about parts has been arrived and I can bring my car at the end of December.

When I bring my car they start talking between them selves and I wait they just keep going some there but didn't tell me anything. Finally they told me they need to recalculate my order because they couldn't makin hydraulic brakes. They going to make me additional device under the driver seat to making brakes. I say OK just finish my project.

By talking with maintenance man I found out this is his first project. Sunseeker Forest River has no hitch. I found professionals who install me a hitch with can pull over 5000 pounds. But they are didn't install the wire for towing. That maintenance man took my RV, keep for a day, nigh and didn't tell me when I should take my RV back. I have left my work to get before they close. That man tell me that he couldn't install wires just because one wire has been cut off. And he show me under RV what kind of wire. Тhe wires under the frame in the area between the left rear wheel and the generator connected in the plug are cut off.

I searched the entire Internet and found that the supply wires to the camera were cut off, which is not needed here, as the camera in the RV at the top of the back wall of the cabin. And then I realized that this mechanic is completely unaware of the wiring diagram of this type of campervan. Not even slightly understanding of wiring diagram of 2019 Ford Transit 350 HD which is similar to many of cars of this type.

That's why I suspect that it was the mechanics error who connected the wires incorrectly to 7-Way connector and could have confused something else when connected that brake device.

He really asked me to come after I find an electrician to make a 7-Way connection on the RV. He really wanted to see how what he had just done worked.
Old 04-22-2022, 11:16 PM   #10

Lots of assumptions, no proof of anything.
Wait until insurance finalizes findings. If they suspect a bad installation by CW, they will go after them.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 11:37 PM   #11
beginer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Lots of assumptions, no proof of anything.
Wait until insurance finalizes findings. If they suspect a bad installation by CW, they will go after them.
Not sure they will tell me anything. I get paid and paid in amount I didn't expected.

I don't provide any proof. I just telling about my very first experiences of towing. That experience at Camping World of Rocklin. My experience at Camping World of Roseville is another store.
Old 04-23-2022, 12:23 AM   #12

I wonder why the rig came with no hitch? Even our rig which can only tow 2,000 lbs came with a hitch and wiring harness. You shouldn't have had to add the hitch and wiring harness.
Old 04-23-2022, 12:42 AM   #13
beginer

Quote:
I wonder why the rig came with no hitch? Even our rig which can only tow 2,000 lbs came with a hitch and wiring harness.
2019 Forest River Sunseeker come on frame of Ford Transit 350. Builder attached additional frame to hold water tank and be a base for sleeping cabin. They even makes frame holes that doesn't feet any standard hithes. I checked personally and measured by looking samples in junks yard. So I found professional shop who repair any truck damages and they make it for me My Hitch from the existing Ford hitch. They make it batter and with solid proof of to pulling the weight.

Quote:
You shouldn't have had to add the hitch and wiring harness.
Why? Who should stop me? It's free country. Did I break the Law or DOT?
Old 04-23-2022, 05:12 AM   #14

Quote:
You shouldn't have had to add the hitch and wiring harness.
Why? Who should stop me? It's free country. Did I break the Law or DOT?

He is not saying you did wrong. He is saying it should have come with these things already installed.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 06:22 AM   #15

Sorry to read this sad story. Fortunately you had good insurance and your injuries were not more severe. Your burns will heal. Your memories of what happened and fear of it happening again will take longer to heal. Good luck to you and wishing you some happy camping experiences.
Chaplain Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 08:49 AM   #16

What happened to you is terrible! Glad that you and your wife are OK. Let the insurance people handle the investigation and follow-up.
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 08:59 AM   #17

I have a similar model model Sunseeker 2021TS. Not buit for towing because the chassis was extended. I bought because I was done with towing. I've heard of the towing modification done and expect it to be pretty intricate and not a job I would trust to CP
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 09:53 AM   #18

I just got the worse headache
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 10:10 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S.ArmyVeteran View Post
I just got the worse headache
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 11:36 AM   #20
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capacitor View Post

Hmmmm. It would be interesting to see where the hole in the engine was.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing, tow