Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2020, 09:12 AM   #1

Need 5th wheel hitch recommendations

Need a new hitch install for a 5th wheel. 2013 Chevy 2500HD diesel with 6-1/2 foot bed. For a 5th wheel with pin weight of 1538 and GVWR of 10995. Recommendations?
Texdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 09:27 AM   #2

You dont say what year. My 2018 came factory with curt puck system. Ball comes in bed. I use a Ranch hand goose neck adapter with remote cable. About 450.00. You can install it yourself pretty easy. You need to have it welded in a few places to keep it from rotating loose. 2nd one i have bought and is a fast hook up and practically will not come loose. Make sure locking block is on side of hitch.Hake you own safety chains around tube neck , or if you can afford them they sell a chain set for 65.00.
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 10:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas ho View Post
You dont say what year. My 2018 came factory with curt puck system. Ball comes in bed. I use a Ranch hand goose neck adapter with remote cable. About 450.00. You can install it yourself pretty easy. You need to have it welded in a few places to keep it from rotating loose. 2nd one i have bought and is a fast hook up and practically will not come loose. Make sure locking block is on side of hitch.Hake you own safety chains around tube neck , or if you can afford them they sell a chain set for 65.00.
Thanks. It's a 2013.
Old 08-01-2020, 10:50 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texdan View Post
Thanks. It's a 2013.
You can get a B and W turnover ball installed at a b& w dealer. Horse trailer shops are a great place to get one. about 500.00. No plate to have to remove ,full use of bed with a b & w hitch with a Anderson goose neck. You will never have the futhwheel come unlocjed and flatten your truck bed. You can pick upa Companion hitch if you decide you want a regular goose neck plate. I pull a 29ft puma toy hauler can am spyder in back and pull a 17.5 bayliner . Weight??? Never gave it much thought i am about enjoying my pleasures .Hook up and go.
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 10:59 AM   #5

I use a standard Reese fifth wheel hitch in the truck. It is NOT a slider, so it is fairly light and simple. Head comes off separately so easy to put in/take out.On the fifth wheel side I use a Sidewinder with airbag and shock (moves pivot point back 22"). Perfect setup for me and my 6.5' bed. Don't have to worry about the trailer hitting the truck during tight turns, it follows the truck tracks more closely, and makes backing easier (responds faster). Airbag/shock make for a nice ride while towing. Plus when I unhitch I can rotate the hitch under the trailer, getting it out of the way
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 12:59 PM   #6

5th wheel recommendations

Pay one they are really nice!
bprovost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 01:04 PM   #7

5 th Wheel

1st you have to decide if you want a slider or not. Part of the decision is based on if your trailer has the cut out corners to allow you to tun at a greater angle before you hit the rear glass. All personal decisions. The non-sliders are lighter by usually about a hundred lbs. I would not go w/ a gooseneck conversion unless you also have a gooseneck trailer you tow. The Sidewinder is a good solution that allows you to use a standard 5th wheel hitch, but pricey. Really comes down to what you are willing to spend and how often you tow. IMO, you can not go wrong w/ the B&W Companion line. Others fill the same about their Andersen hitch.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 02:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I use a standard Reese fifth wheel hitch in the truck. It is NOT a slider, so it is fairly light and simple. Head comes off separately so easy to put in/take out.On the fifth wheel side I use a Sidewinder with airbag and shock (moves pivot point back 22"). Perfect setup for me and my 6.5' bed. Don't have to worry about the trailer hitting the truck during tight turns, it follows the truck tracks more closely, and makes backing easier (responds faster). Airbag/shock make for a nice ride while towing. Plus when I unhitch I can rotate the hitch under the trailer, getting it out of the way
Where did you get your Sidewinder? I saw a fiver with this so it could be towed by a 1/2 ton. Almost bought it just because of that pin.
Old 08-01-2020, 03:36 PM   #9

5th Wheel Hitch

I have a similar pickup 2010 GMC 2500HD with the standard box (6 1/2 feet). I use a Pullright Superglide and I really like it. No worries when making a really tight turn. Works just as advertised. It is heavy and if you don't have a wench, it will take two of you to lift it our of the bed of the pickup unless your are a weight lifter. The head comes off and that takes away about 40 lbs but the rest still weights in the 150 lb range. As has already been said, it is clearly a personal decision but you won't go wrong with this hitch other than moving it in and out of your bed.
dcrajr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 04:52 PM   #10

“ is heavy and if you don't have a wench,...”

I do have a wench and she lurks on this forum. I hope you typo’d winch. I be getting slapped later.��

But I do appreciate the info, we’re looking to upgrade to a fiver, just another to take into consideration.

The wealth of knowledge here is incredible.
Robbie D. Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 05:45 PM   #11
"Curmudgeon"

Send a message via MSN to Trawlerphil Send a message via Yahoo to Trawlerphil
I bought a used Pullrite Superglide 3300 for $200 before we took delivery and I installed it in the bed of my Tundra. It is a substantial hitch and performs as advertised. What I didn't know was the Flagstaff Classic already had a Reese Revolution but it was bolted in place. I had to raise it to get more clearance between the truck bed rail and the 5er, but it came out perfect. It is perfectly level and we ran a whole day in Utah at 80 MPH to see exactly how bad the gas mileage would be. It was 6 MPG in case anyone rides up on a painted pony and asks you.
2018 F-150 4X4 Max tow EcoBoost 3.5
2020 Tesla Model Y
Trawlerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 05:51 PM   #12

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrajr View Post
I have a similar pickup 2010 GMC 2500HD with the standard box (6 1/2 feet). I use a Pullright Superglide and I really like it. No worries when making a really tight turn. Works just as advertised. It is heavy and if you don't have a wench, it will take two of you to lift it our of the bed of the pickup unless your are a weight lifter. The head comes off and that takes away about 40 lbs but the rest still weights in the 150 lb range. As has already been said, it is clearly a personal decision but you won't go wrong with this hitch other than moving it in and out of your bed.
Thanks for the input. I'm concerned about the weight of some of the hitches as I want to remove it when not being used and can barely pick up an 80 lb. bag of Sacrete anymore. I'm really liking the Andersen Ultimate which comes in at 35#, looks pretty cool and even better numbers than the B&W (don't know about the Pullright).
Old 08-01-2020, 06:04 PM   #13
New to FR. Old to TT

We have a 2018 gmc 2500hd with a duramax and tow a CC 36ck2 using an Andersen ultimate hitch using the goose ball. Works really well for us lots of turning clearance, only weight is about 38 lb and really fast easy hookup and disconnect. Our camper has nice rounded front cap so no problems on tight turns.
Tall frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 07:10 PM   #14

Two options for any hitch. Cheap almost universal option is to buy a collapsible engine hoist from Harbor Freight ($99) and lift it out with that. Second option if you have a garage with overhead room is a chainfall or chain hoist .
Old 08-01-2020, 07:23 PM   #15

Reese Elite 5th wheel for me.
Old 08-01-2020, 07:52 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texdan View Post
Where did you get your Sidewinder? I saw a fiver with this so it could be towed by a 1/2 ton. Almost bought it just because of that pin.
I bought mine through an Independent RV Service/Parts shop that a friend of mine owns. Just do a search on Sidewinder and you will find several purchasing options. If you decide to buy one, ensure you get the correct wedge for the type of truck hitch you buy, and make sure you get the right mount to fit your RV. I found tech support at Reese to be very helpful.
Enjoy your RV!
Old 08-01-2020, 08:28 PM   #17

Andersen Ultimate - they are awesome.
cmalberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 08:58 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalberto View Post
Andersen Ultimate - they are awesome.
I love mine. I’ve towed 21,952 miles with my original steel version. It weighs 75 lbs.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 07:43 PM   #19

Well, here I go again. First I found out I have a Lippert 1621 pin for what that's worth. So I had narrowed down my choices to the Pullrite Superglide 2700 autoslider and B&W Rvk3270 manual slider. Installed price difference is about $500 more for the Pullrite so I decided on the B&W. BUT after calling several installers and Tweetys NOBODY has any and don't know when they are getting any. I need a hitch within a week to go pick up my new fiver. Found out I can get a Curt A16 manual slider (p/n 16521) for the same price as the B&W. Does anyone have any experience with Curt manual sliders? I see some comments that they are noisy, and some that they are 'loose'. Have decided against the Andersen Ultimate as there are NONE to be found and was told the Pullrite Superlite is for long beds, mine is a short bed. Appreciate any and all comments.
Old 08-03-2020, 09:12 PM   #20

Well, if your up against a time limit, then you definitely have limited choices.
As far as a manual slider, I've never known anyone to keep them very long, or get a second one.
If you are just bringing it home, can you borrow a hitch or find a used hitch until you can get the one you want? Hopefully installers have rail kits if you need one.

If you are careful you can get your RV home with your shorter bed w/o a slider. I've done it many times hauling friends RVs for them with my 6.5' bed and standard hitch.

Good luck!

Tags
5th wheel, wheel