Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2019, 09:24 PM   #81

Lucky u for finding a good V10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinalowner View Post
Maybe I can enlighten you, Since we camp within 200 miles from home and I only put 5k miles per year max on my truck the extra costs for a diesel just doesn't make sense. My F250 super duty with The V 10 and 4:30 gears pulls my 10,000 lb 5iver great, pin weight is a little over 2000 lbs. and the truck is within all weight limits. Since it was a older 1 owner truck with 50k miles that was less than one quarter the price of a new one it was a no brainer...... I can buy a lot of gas for 35 grand!
Finding a V10 with 4:30 gears that’s not ragged out is like finding gold. I tried for 2years. It’s probably the best gas tow vehicle ever made. Add HD braking and I would consider one over a diesel.
findthehumorinthings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 09:25 PM   #82

pickup for a 5th wheel

I drive an 07 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 hemi and tow a 31' TT empty about 5000#, cant imagine towing a 5th wheel with this. truck has towing package w/ 3.73. Get a diesel for heavier loads
tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 08:57 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitvb View Post
We are making the jump from a TT to a 5th wheel and need to purchase a good used truck. I'm figuring a 3/4 ton with a crew/extended cab, and probably gas instead of diesel due to cost. Should I look for 4x4 or is 2WD sufficient. I have no allegiance to any brand but my son is a GMC man and my brother is a died in the wool FORD man. I've owned a Dodge Durango w/5.7 Hemi and had great luck with it...but it was an SUV and not a truck. I also know this is as divisive as talking politics, but I need your inputs and suggestions.
Whether you go diesel or gas, Chevy-Ford-or Dodge, size of the fuel tank rules...

I bought a 08' Chevy 2500HD with the long bed. It's a pain to park sometimes (longer than the average parking space) and it doesn't turn on a dime but the extra range I get is a bonus. Mine is also a 2x4 because I reasoned it was a highway truck. I have gotten stuck a few times in soggy grass or sand but I keep a tow strap in the truck and friends handy.

Hope this helps. Safe Travels!

Tony
tgomez61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 08:34 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by findthehumorinthings View Post
Finding a V10 with 4:30 gears that’s not ragged out is like finding gold. I tried for 2years. It’s probably the best gas tow vehicle ever made. Add HD braking and I would consider one over a diesel.
I had been looking about 6 months and really wanted a GM with the 8.1 and Allison but when I found this Ford supercab with the tow package and 8 ft bed in excellent condition I couldn't pass it up. Anyway I would probably still be looking for the GM with the 8.1 they are really hard to find.
Cardinalowner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, truck, wheel