Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2018, 05:12 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus69 View Post
hi jim i find the diesel a little bit noisier than a gas engine but not by much as far as maintenance its a little more money than gas but the pulling power is worth it fuel filters need to be changed twice a year in my case i use to run 15-40 oil in the crank case but have switched to o-40 synthetic oil about 10 years ago i use a good fuel conditioner ,i put one ounce in every fill up and in winter i use a high arctic fuel conditioner,as far as fuel mileage i use to get 9 miles to the gallon pulling a 36ft 10000 lbs trailer and 13-15 mpg empty after looking at all the chips available for diesels i settled on dura milage chip that is made specificatly for duramax engines and what a difference my emty milage went up to 26 mpg and the last trip with our new 5th wheel i got 17 mpg hope i have answered some of your questions john anderson 2006 gmc2500 hd 4x4 diesel pulling a 30 ft chaparral lite
your lucky you don't have to deal with DEF . those systems are still not right and do create lots of problems . no wonder they have a 100,000. mile warranty on the def systems . you may get fixed for nothing but the time with out the truck and it will always break down the first day of your vacation
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 06:42 PM   #42

Tow

Even the gas 3/4 tons w/ more weight and bigger brakes do a much better job VS 1/2 tons. You get away from the "Tail wagging the Dog" effect of pulling w/ a truck that weighs less than your trailer. If I was purchasing a used truck, I would lean towards a gas. Simply do to the fear that the previous owner of the diesel has not done the critical maintenance. The newer diesels are so complex that you can wind up w/ a huge bill or repairs. Both Chev and Ford have a 100k warranty on their new diesels, but you better document all maintenance records WELL. My experience is the diesels are more expensive to maintain. Now that DW and I are both retired and taking longer trips in mountains, diesel is worth it for additional power. I found when I looked at prices between diesel 2500 and 3500 there was only a $1k difference in price w/ same options. The Ford rode stiffer, the Chevy was not much difference between 3/4 and 1 ton. The 3500s have an additional 1K in cargo weight capacity. Something to consider if you have any thought to upgrade down the road.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:23 PM   #43

I have a 2016 GMC 1500 with the 8 speed enhanced towing package. Tows my 5k dry with all of our stuff for 3 people and a dog, 2 bikes and all the gear/tools, random amounts in the 3 holding tanks etc...
Until I get in the mountains. Rated at towing upto 10.5k, I am far below that.
It's not terrible, but really, if i had to do it again, I would get the 2500.
pohlcat01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:34 PM   #44

I did lots of research on both Trucks and Trailers to find what suited our needs. We chose Ford F-150 Lariat 4X4 with the Max Tow Package (13,000 capacity). It has all kinds of bells and whistles that we enjoy especially the 10 speed transmission and the AdvanceTrac that allows me to put the vehicle in tow mode and helps with both uphill and downhill braking. We've towed our Wildwood X-Lite over 2,000 since May and love how the truck handles while travelling.

"Red" my 2018 Ford Lariat F-150 4X4 W/ Max Tow pkg
"Rover" our 2018 Forest River Wildwood X-Lite 241qbxl
revbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:38 PM   #45

I have a 2015 f150 scab 3.5 eb. We two a 28' f.r. 5th wh . About 8500 loaded. I'm right at my 2k payload capacity all in with max tow. I always get 10 mpg or better. 15k of towing with this combo so far and very happy. When I upgrade in 2 to 3 years I'll select the max payload option as well. Should give me 400 lbs extra. Oh, previously towed with a 2010 Silverado. 5.3 6spd . Towed well but not as well as the f150. Have fun...
coreyh11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 07:12 PM   #46

We purchased a 2500 HD Duramax Silverado more than ten years ago, and have never looked back. The truck gets nearly 20 mpg while freeway driving without the trailer. While towing our Komfort TT at a weight of about 8,000 pounds loaded, we recorded better than 13 mpg. Last year we upgraded to a Cardinal 3250 Fifth Wheel at about 12,500 pounds loaded, and we still get around 12.5 mpg towing. The torque and power available makes towing a breeze. Only thing I would change would be to get a bigger fuel tank. Here in the West, diesel fuel stations are sometimes hard to find.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 07:14 PM   #47

My 2004 Silverado 2500 HD typically gets around 17 to 18 MPG around town. I get around 10 or so towing a Flagstaff Ultralight (around 7000 pounds loaded). Get the HD, you can never have too much truck, but it is sure easy to have too little! The Duramax coupled to the Allison trany is a winner! If you shop around for an older truck you can stay away from the DEF nonsense and may be able to find a low mileage vehicle for a fraction of what new will cost.
2004 Silverado 2500HD diesel
transmission_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 07:49 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimChow View Post
Thanks all,
Never having a diesel before I don't know what the maintenance differences are between the two. Do diesels require any special oils, etc ? Not meaning to offend but Are they noisy ? I have seen that the mpg's are better then gas engines.
One thing is you could go thru the truck side at stops... sometimes the car side is pretty tight!
pohlcat01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 08:44 PM   #49

Look at the Nissan Titan XD DIESEL 5.0 Cummins. Had one for almost a year and love it takes my 10000 lbs Survivor any where we want to go and with 13.5 fuel mileage. Was driving 2500 Chevy. TITAN HANDS DOWN.
Bye_Goners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 11:06 PM   #50

Quote:
Thanks for responses,

Payload capacity is a concern, And we may consider a larger trailer some time in the future. I don't think there is an SUV available to pull 10 K or higher.

We bought the Tahoe to tow the SV233T and didn't consider moving into a larger trailer later on in life, so I don't want to make that mistake again.

I am thinking the 2500HD or F250 might be the way to go.
this pulls 10k GCWR 20k lbs. best thing everThe King of SUVs a 2002 excursion 7.3 4x4 limited. it hulls your kids, your in-laws, your friends, your friends kids their kids friends, your dogs, your neighbors and also tows your 10k lbs rigg you get the idea. i dont even feel the weight behind me going up the arizona/utah mountains. pre emissions dont have to worry about LIMP MODES like new diesels if there is issues...the X is basically an old school diesel. and im an a Chevy guy too... you dont need the bad Nissan Cummings... my buddy turned it in for a Ram 2500 Cummings. he said it suck and over heats in the mountains.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180516_143303.jpeg
Views:	76
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	182161
bhirmiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 11:09 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bye_Goners View Post
Look at the Nissan Titan XD DIESEL 5.0 Cummins. Had one for almost a year and love it takes my 10000 lbs Survivor any where we want to go and with 13.5 fuel mileage. Was driving 2500 Chevy. TITAN HANDS DOWN.
buy American
bhirmiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 12:54 AM   #52

Ok, reading your post several times before I considered replying. Your current rig will likely handle a travel trailer about the size you currently mention as a maximum. The 2500 will do the job but at a cost of fuel mileage when not towing. Of course a diesel will get you the power and fuel mileage at about 8 grand more so that’s nit a good option.
I keep seeing a couple things you appear to be looking for. Sufficient power to handle say up to 8000 pounds. Fuel mileage- especially when not towing as this May be a daily driver. Fuel mileage when towing though should be reasonable. I’m also going to guess that you want comfort.

Something bigger than the current GM 5.3. Just doesn’t get it. a big block GM won’t get you fuel mileage without the diesel. New Ram V8 has some pluses in terms of power - not so much in fuel mileage when not towing. Not going to talk about Toyota. No updates in the power train in several years. Nissan makes a V8 and a Diesel. Fuel mileage isn’t anything to get excited about. Ok, narrowing down to Ford. They now have a diesel 1/2 ton that can pull up to 10k. It really impressed with it and again it adds thousands of dollars in cost. Next Ford has a 5.0 V8. Nice power and can handle up to 12k towing. Mileage nit towing is respectable for a V8- certainly better than Ram Hemi. I myself had a 2011 f150 and regularly pulled about 7500 pounds. Just recently traded/upgraded to a 2018 f150. That brings me to the last choice - 3.5 V6 turbo which is what I got when I uograded. I actually looked for another 5.0 as I did like it very much. Couldn’t find one equipped as I wanted to I bought the 3.5 V6. The 2018 f150 supercrew 4x4 with 10 speed, max tow 3.55 Gears. This truck puts out 375 hp at about 4500 rpms and better yet 470 lbs torque at 3500 rpms. It pulls my trailer without breaking a sweat. Towing fuel mileage in the 10-11 mpg range on the highway at speeds around 65mph. When not towing Hwy speeds around 70+ mph see 21-22 mpg. The 10 speed transmission really helps keep the truck in the best gear for towing.
Buy the GM if your going to spend the money for the Duramax. If you want to investigate further all the different trucks check TFL (The Fast Lane) towing tests up the Ike Gauntlet on YouTube. This truck will get it done for you and in comfort. Do your research.

Smile, It’s the second best thing
you can do with you lips!

2018 F150 4x4 3.5 ecoboost 3.55 EL + 2017 Rockwood Ultralite 2304ds
tuckr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 08:42 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhirmiz View Post
buy American
It is made in the USA by Americans.
Bye_Goners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:09 AM   #54

Many thanks to all for info and suggestions. I just dropped off my Ford Edge for service and while I was at dealership I looked into the F150. Brought home the brochure and I am impressed with what I am reading. Loads of options. Just finished 'building ' the F150, now to see if one is available. Added Payload packaged, 3.5 EcoBoost, heavy duty tow package. And Dealer said they can search 30 plus dealerships. Next issue is price.
I've been also looking at Chevy 2500HD, but it doesn't look like it has as many options as the F150. Still I'm thinking Ford has the edge. The search continues.
And Yes, Buy American!

Jim & Kathy
Bailey, waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
Gracie, a rescued Beagle
2007 Chevy Tahoe
2008 FR Surveyor 233T
JimChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:19 AM   #55

Go with a 3/4 ton f250 or 2500. Gas or diesel that’s up to you. I have had both and had diesel for over 20 years but changing to a gasser F250 on order 2019 king ranch. My reason price of fuel has gotten crazy. Also the cost of maintenance on diesel has went up so much I don’t see the benefits of owning one any longer. Yes they pull like a monster but cause of the weight of the engine some give you less payload then a gasser. Me unless plans are to get a larger 5th wheel or a large tt in the near future get the 3/4 gasser. Cost new not a big difference mpg not a big difference any more. Just my two cents worth. But you got to get what you want and can afford and be comfy with.
Gonefishing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:49 AM   #56

I would strongly suggest that you take extensive test drives in each of the vehicles that you are considering. Tow capacity/ fuel mileage aren't everything, comfort is also a major consideration. When I did my comparisons both of us found the F series diesels to be too "trucky", they rode like a truck and were VERY noisy! The Chevy series did the same job, were much quieter and rode more like a car. That's why I drive a Silverado.
2004 Silverado 2500HD diesel
transmission_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:39 AM   #57

Quote:
Many thanks to all for info and suggestions. I just dropped off my Ford Edge for service and while I was at dealership I looked into the F150. Brought home the brochure and I am impressed with what I am reading. Loads of options. Just finished 'building ' the F150, now to see if one is available. Added Payload packaged, 3.5 EcoBoost, heavy duty tow package. And Dealer said they can search 30 plus dealerships. Next issue is price.
I've been also looking at Chevy 2500HD, but it doesn't look like it has as many options as the F150. Still I'm thinking Ford has the edge. The search continues.
And Yes, Buy American!
Finding an HDDP package can be tough. Realistically you can do a Max Tow and find one easily. Either the 5.0 or 3.5 for 2018 are both new improved motors with direct injection on both intake and exhaust side which eliminates carbon deposit buildup that was an issue with the older ecoboost.
Just make sure you get the larger 36 gallon fuel cell if you do decide on Ford. While it’s painful at the pump, You will never want for a gas station.

Smile, It’s the second best thing
you can do with you lips!

2018 F150 4x4 3.5 ecoboost 3.55 EL + 2017 Rockwood Ultralite 2304ds
tuckr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 11:10 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckr2 View Post
Finding an HDDP package can be tough. Realistically you can do a Max Tow and find one easily. Either the 5.0 or 3.5 for 2018 are both new improved motors with direct injection on both intake and exhaust side which eliminates carbon deposit buildup that was an issue with the older ecoboost.
Just make sure you get the larger 36 gallon fuel cell if you do decide on Ford. While it’s painful at the pump, You will never want for a gas station.

just noticed your sig pic . more important then TV's is Turkeys ? nice bird .
I've been quite a few places around the country chasing old tom . started hunting them in 78 it never gets old
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 11:29 AM   #59

My trailer has a GVWR of 7650 lbs. I use a ProPride hitch. I've been down to Florida and Texas on separate trips with no truck based issues. Plenty of power for the ride to Florida. Wind on the Florida trip was strong enough to suck the underbelly off the trailer - front half was off and dragging around the trailer axle. Trip to Texas got me into an un-forecasted pop-up snow storm (4") and on ice (30 mph for about 20 miles). Trailer follows the truck like a little puppy.
Platinum trim level (love the active motion seats on long drives).
I currently have a short bed, traded in a 6' 5" 2016. Have a negligible increase in porpoising with the SB, otherwise stability is fine. And it fits in my garage.
I'm very happy with my setup.
Good luck on your search.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 01:40 PM   #60
Site Team

Quote:
And Yes, Buy American!
Just remember that adding all those options or higher trim levels, also lowers the payload capacity. All that bling adds weight.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow vehicle