Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2015, 09:55 AM   #1

need help with blue ox

We are camping with friends and the husband got injured and had to go to the hospital and get stiches and possible surgery. His father is coming to pick his camper up but I have no idea how to hook up his blue ox hitch system. I want to make sure I hook it up right.. Can anyone guide me through it??? Please I would like to get his wife and kids home safely. Thanks in advance!!
Jamesandtara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 10:07 AM   #2

Here is the instillation video (if it is a swaypro) it's more info than you need but hopefully it can help. The one thing you need to know is how many links they had between the trail clamp and the WD bar. I don't have one so I hope this helps.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 10:25 AM   #3

Thanks a lot!!! That helps. He was unhooking his truck and I guess there was to much tension and when he went to release it the handle flew back an hit him in the face. He is in surgery now getting a plate put in right above his eye. It missed his ey by a 1/2 inch.
Jamesandtara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 10:57 AM   #4

Please make sure you use the tongue jack to raise the rear of the truck and the front of the trailer before hooking up or unhooking the spring bars on his hitch. I usually raise it until I can put my foot on the spring bar at the end where the chain is and move it a little before I unhook the chains. For hooking up I raise it and then try to spin the latch and if it's too hard, I raise it some more. When you have it high enough it should take very little effort to spin the latch on the trailer a frame.
strat56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 11:30 AM   #5

I hope everything goes well for your friend. As was said raising the back of the truck when hooking or unhooking is important.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 11:32 AM   #6

It sounds like the unfortunate lad did not take the tension off the tounge by raising the hitch up some before attempting to disconnect. Lots of pressure is in action. Do the same thing when hooking up then lower the hitch after you apply the bars and all will be fine
DAPYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 11:43 AM   #7

I hope your friend is ok. I have a blue ox and I have forgotten to take the tension off one time. Luckily I did not get injured but it I do not forget anymore. Give your friend this piece of advice, do not have the handle up in the air when removing the chains. Try to have it parallel to the frame so if there is to much tension his head is not in the way. Hands may still get hurt. It's better than facial/head injuries.

The process others have posted are correct. Use the tongue jack to remove the tension. If you start driving and the front of the TV feels like it is wandering or there is too much bouncing pull over and re-adjust one link at a time.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:11 PM   #8

I almost did the same thing the first time I towed with it. It's obviously quite dangerous if you do it incorrectly. I'm very sorry.

Ditto what others have said - I lift the rear of my truck essentially as far as I can until there is no tension whatsoever.

Good luck to your friend - and be safe.
305RESGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 01:07 PM   #9

I would check around the campground or ask the Manager. There is bound to be someone there with the same or similar system. Most campers I know would be more than glad to help.

Tags
blue ox