Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2021, 03:18 PM   #1
Old man RVer

Need Husky spring bar lift tool

Boy, did I mess up. I seem to have lost the tool to lift the spring bars on my Husky weight-distributing hitch. The wife is having a field day with my forgetfulness. Searching online for the tool results in many hits, all of which say that the tool is out of stock.

The tool is to lift the spring bars into place, and remove them, from the Husky hitch. It is part #32334. If anyone knows of any source for the tool please pass it along. It will be greatly appreciated and get the wife off my back.

Thanks
2WheelJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 03:50 PM   #2
(o˘◡˘o)

Possibly available at:

https://www.autozone.com/trailer-hit...39/1069422_0_0

https://www.walmart.com/ip/HUSKY-TOW...-KIT/596830137

https://www.automotivestuff.com/husk...lift-tool.html
Old 09-27-2021, 06:48 PM   #3

Amazon has them
astro-jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 07:24 PM   #4

Why do you need a tool? Lift the truck and trailer together with the trailer jack and just swing them onto the L brackets, then lower back down.
Old 09-27-2021, 07:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike134 View Post
Why do you need a tool? Lift the truck and trailer together with the trailer jack and just swing them onto the L brackets, then lower back down.

This is the way!
Old 09-27-2021, 07:34 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
This is what I did for years, both on and off.
Old 09-27-2021, 09:59 PM   #7
Old man RVer

Although listed on their website, Autozone didn't have it in stock. I don't shop at Walmart. Automotivestuff did have one and ordered it from them.

Thanks.
Old 09-27-2021, 10:00 PM   #8
Old man RVer

Quote:

My tongue jack won't go that high. I still have to lift the bars some to get them into the L brackets. I think I found one thanks to another post.
Old 09-27-2021, 10:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Because I like my WDH set up properly.
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 06:14 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkbre View Post
I used the jack technique for years and I can assure you my WDH was set up properly. I have 20 weight chits to prove it.
corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 09:45 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
I used the jack technique for years and I can assure you my WDH was set up properly. I have 20 weight chits to prove it.
Neato.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
Old 09-28-2021, 10:00 AM   #12

Quote:
You have this poor old guy confused. What does the simple task of putting on the spring bars have with setting up the hitch?
Old 09-28-2021, 11:17 AM   #13

Quote:
You have this poor old guy confused. What does the simple task of putting on the spring bars have with setting up the hitch?
With the "no tool" method, you're relying on the electric jack to raise the bars high enough to go up and over the "L" perches, then lower it back down in a set up position. That's all fine and dandy. 2 concerns:

1. What unnecessary stress is being put on the electric jack? Most tongue jacks are rated around 3500 lbs. It raises and lowers the 800+ pound tongue; however, you're also asking it raise the back of the truck which could be a very substantial amount of weight. The physics of it is that the truck's front axle is the fulcrum point and the higher the rear gets, the less load is on the truck's rear axle. Use a the tool or replace the jack....I prefer the tool.

2. With the convenience of being able to hand place the bars on the perches, is also an indicator that once the jack is retracted and the trunnion bars are in place, there may not be enough tension for the bars to effectively work.

In my case, on totally level ground, my jack would have to be fully extended, rear of the truck raised extremely high and I would still have to muscle the bars on. My hitch has been tuned using a scale so I do know it's set up correctly. For ease of applying the bars and saving the trailer tongue jack from premature failure, I use the tool, leverage and "work smart, not hard" approach.

I do question the jacking the truck up method though. If the ground isn't perfectly level and the truck is somewhat nose high or sitting at an angle left to right, what do you do when the jack doesn't get high enough?

Old 09-28-2021, 11:36 AM   #14

Quote:
With the "no tool" method, you're relying on the electric jack to raise the bars high enough to go up and over the "L" perches, then lower it back down in a set up position. That's all fine and dandy. 2 concerns:

1. What unnecessary stress is being put on the electric jack? Most tongue jacks are rated around 3500 lbs. It raises and lowers the 800+ pound tongue; however, you're also asking it raise the back of the truck which could be a very substantial amount of weight. The physics of it is that the truck's front axle is the fulcrum point and the higher the rear gets, the less load is on the truck's rear axle. Use a the tool or replace the jack....I prefer the tool.

2. With the convenience of being able to hand place the bars on the perches, is also an indicator that once the jack is retracted and the trunnion bars are in place, there may not be enough tension for the bars to effectively work.

In my case, on totally level ground, my jack would have to be fully extended, rear of the truck raised extremely high and I would still have to muscle the bars on. My hitch has been tuned using a scale so I do know it's set up correctly. For ease of applying the bars and saving the trailer tongue jack from premature failure, I use the tool, leverage and "work smart, not hard" approach.

I do question the jacking the truck up method though. If the ground isn't perfectly level and the truck is somewhat nose high or sitting at an angle left to right, what do you do when the jack doesn't get high enough?
Then you just use the tool. Pretty simple, really.
corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 11:40 AM   #15

Quote:

Totally agree that's why I use the electric jack working smart not harder. Jack has 4000 lb rating not worried about wearing it out. I use a 6x6 block of wood under the jack foot so never run out of jack travel reguardless of ground/truck angles.

Safe travels.
Old 09-28-2021, 03:04 PM   #16

Umm...

Quote:
Umm...Maybe drive a few yards to flat ground and put the arms on there?
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 03:38 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Umm...Maybe drive a few yards to flat ground and put the arms on there?
If only they made a tool to help you do that....

Old 09-28-2021, 07:18 PM   #18

All this chatter is why, I enjoy watching people back in, hook and unhook. I can actually say Ive never seen people just use the jack to hook up. If that was the case why do they offer the spring arm tool? And please show me on the WDH manufactures web site where it says to use the jack and not the tool.
astro-jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 07:35 PM   #19

Trade secret to use the jack........had a RV store show me that 40 years ago.
Old 09-29-2021, 07:29 AM   #20
Mopar Guy

i use a reese setup but i was also always a jack user. Maybe once or twice i would use the lever bar. its just easier especially to undo them where the bars snap down with some force.
Cost4133 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lift