Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2017, 04:42 PM   #1

Need new truck

Want a new truck can't decide on gas or diesel /ford ,Chevy ,dodge 3/4 ton
Any wisdom from the group is appropriated.
2017 Ford F250 4/4
DonMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 04:49 PM   #2

I have a 3500 2012 Silverado diesel SRW
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 04:52 PM   #3

Hit the wrong button. I want a new truck too, a Silverado 3500 dually. Maybe by next year. I need a new truck with a 100,000 mile warranty. Plus one that will pull the new camper I want
Old 08-29-2017, 04:57 PM   #4

Have a 2017 Ram 2500 5.7 gas and it tows our 6,000lb trailer great. I do have regrets about not getting a diesel in case I wanted to get a 5er on down the road, but the price difference gets me over it pretty quick
khbama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 05:00 PM   #5

For the last 5 years we went from Dodge to Ford and life has been pulling Living Quarter Horse Trailers around the US and now we’ve added a Forest River to our stable[emoji15] I realize it’s down to personal taste but for us Ford has continued to perform flawlessly whether pulling a 20,000lb horse trailer for thousands of miles or simply buying the TT and driving 2000 miles there and back without any problems. We drive for the bigger rigs the F350 Diesel Dually and with lots of power to stop let alone take on mountain roads that’s our choice. Friends that also drive a great deal more and live in Canada swear buy there F250 and F350 diesels. There putting on over 130,000 miles a year plus! But you’ll hear great things about other makes but we’ve tried them all in our time and Ford does the job with there Diesel Range. Good luck in your search.
English Rugby Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 05:21 PM   #6
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMar View Post
Want a new truck can't decide on gas or diesel /ford ,Chevy ,dodge 3/4 ton
Any wisdom from the group is appropriated.
Get the a diesel dually from whatever manufacturer you like best and you'll be a happy camper, no matter what you're dragging down the road.....
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 05:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Rugby Fan View Post
For the last 5 years we went from Dodge to Ford and life has been pulling Living Quarter Horse Trailers around the US and now we’ve added a Forest River to our stable[emoji15] I realize it’s down to personal taste but for us Ford has continued to perform flawlessly whether pulling a 20,000lb horse trailer for thousands of miles or simply buying the TT and driving 2000 miles there and back without any problems. We drive for the bigger rigs the F350 Diesel Dually and with lots of power to stop let alone take on mountain roads that’s our choice. Friends that also drive a great deal more and live in Canada swear buy there F250 and F350 diesels. There putting on over 130,000 miles a year plus! But you’ll hear great things about other makes but we’ve tried them all in our time and Ford does the job with there Diesel Range. Good luck in your search.
Lifetime Ford owner here, I tried the others but came back quick.
Having lots of Fun traveling with my wife
old40ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 06:01 PM   #8

I just went though this and looked at everything you mentioned and more.
A new guy at work just came from a company and he supervised the maintenance of a small fleet of diesels with all the brands you mentioned. So obviously I picked his brain for my decision.

He told me the new diesels are not as care free like the old ones (def, it's related complicated systems/the new fuel blends add complication) -his company was switching over to gas trucks except for a few to have the higher tow rating needed for some of their trailers. Another big water and sewer company near me just switch all their trucks to gas...I know from seeing them on construction sites near me but I don't know their reasons.

For me personally, my truck is used as a truck, something is behind it or in it and I typically only do about 7k miles a year with very little commuting -that mileage may go up with then new toyhauler. My load at max is about 10,000lbs trailer and I needed payload higher than most 3/4 diesels. Diesel is about a $10,000 option...you can buy a lot of fuel/oil changes/whatever for that kind of money. These things led me to gas. If I did 20,000 miles a year towing or had a heavier trailer, that may have influenced the decision a little more towards the diesel but there is no way at my usage that I would ever break even going diesel.

Ram: I liked the storage ideas. I disliked the transmission...second gear is very tall. Empty, this gasser (6.4) feels quick. Loaded, the much weaker on paper Chevy outperforms it on a big grade. And the 6.4 needs premium fuel.

Ford: I really liked the truck/motor/transmission and the 4.30 gears but the last one I had (2016) left a very bad taste in my mouth...I just couldn't do it.

Chevy: weakest on paper. Tried and true powertrain. I got the best deal with the options I wanted.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:51 PM   #9

Couple of points to consider. 1) How much driving will you be doing? If a lot, the diesel will pay for itself but modern diesels take a long time to get your money back. Typically 150k. 2) With a RAM gasser, you have the option of purchasing their Lifetime Maxcare, unlimited mileage, bumper to bumper warranty. It's a $2500-$3000 package that could pay for itself if you're a long term owner and put up big miles. It also gives the peace of mind if you're on the road and something big fails. 3) How much do you really need to tow? If you "need" the added capacity certainly spring for the diesel, but as others have noted, $6-10k is A LOT of gasoline and a lot of trips.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
kltk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 07:14 PM   #10

I totally agree with BigH.
Nascon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 07:27 PM   #11

My Tundra and Eco pulled my TT just fine with WD but the ram Cummings 2500 and my current f350 it's like it wasn't there I skipped the 250 went straight to the 350 so that when the wife picked the next trailer I wouldn't worry about weight glad I did even though claimed weight of 12k for new Wildcat I crossed scales at 23k truck and trl combined
Old 09-01-2017, 03:32 PM   #12

Having went from the 1/2 ton gasser to a 3/4 ton gasser to a 3/4 diesel in the course of 5 years I would strongly suggest buying a diesel if you plan on rving for years to come. Diesels are not with out their headaches but if you plan on towing out of state and anything more than about 8k lbs I would go to a diesel. The new gassers will do it but it is not a relaxing experience. The companies that are switching over from gas to diesel are smart but they are doing it because the majority of their trucks don't tow anything large and if they do it is only short distances. The keep a few diesels if they have really large trailers and need to go a distance. But the big gassers are very capable for some really heavy weights as long as it is shorter distances. And they are cheaper to maintain, cheaper to purchase, and far less finiky with short trips, frequent stops and idle times.

If you don't ever see yourself going larger than 8k in a travel trailer than a gasser is all you'll ever need. I would still suggest getting a 3/4 ton. Pulling a travel trailer is so much smoother and easier with a heavier truck. I towed a 26 rockwood 2504 mini light with a 2012 ram 1/2 ton, then went to a 2015 ram 3/4 6.4. From that experience if im owning a travel trailer Im towing it with a 3/4 ton. Its just a better tool for the job. 5th wheels require a 3/4 ton or larger. That's my .02 from my experience in the last 10 years.
Skidooman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 04:33 PM   #13

One thing certain, whatever you select there will be at least one, maybe more, that will tell you "You should have got ---------".

Only comment I have regarding Diesel is that if you really need (for whatever reasons one needs Diesel) stick with gasoline. Diesels are dependable but when they DO have problems they can be very expensive. You also have a lot more maintenance to consider when driving a diesel. Filters, the new emission control fluids, fuel quality, etc.

Gas engines have come a long way from those of old. Better fuel mileage, better power output, more reliable, and of course, $6k or more less expensive.

Did I mention that you don't have to go searching for fuel as much. Gas at every gas station. Diesel only at some.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 05:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidooman View Post
... anything more than about 8k lbs I would go to a diesel. The new gassers will do it but it is not a relaxing experience.
What is unrelaxing about pulling 8k with a gasser? Me...I have the air on, one hand on the wheel and have pleasant conversations with the wife while watching the scenery. I've done it with a 1500 and been relaxed.
Quote:
But the big gassers are very capable for some really heavy weights as long as it is shorter distances.
Help me out here...What does shorter distances have to do with it? The only 'major' issue (and I did ' major ' , that for emphasis not agreement) is how much easier the diesel will bring a load up to speed. If I was pulling a heavy load in traffic on a regular basis I would prefer a diesel...on the open road the differences are non existent unless I had some issue needing the tach to be below 2000 or needed to fly up some grade in the left lane.

Quote:
And they are cheaper to maintain, cheaper to purchase, and far less finiky with short trips, frequent stops and idle times.
Here we agree and I understand...the other, not so much.
Old 09-02-2017, 11:05 AM   #15

I'm between the rock and the hard place, I have this truck just about paid off and 125,000 miles but I sure would like to have a new Silverado dually to replace the 3500 Silverado. What I really need is more warranty
Old 09-02-2017, 11:21 AM   #16

I purchased an extended FORD warranty for a six year old F350 diesel. It's paid for itself so far. Dragged 21,000lb camper up IKE.

http://www.tfltruck.com/2015/04/2015...auntlet-video/
Old 09-04-2017, 12:08 PM   #17

GM Silverado 3500 diesel comes new with 100,000 miles warranty on engine and drivetrain and a 36,000 mile bumper to bumper and I plan to increase that to 100,000 bumper to bumper and before 60,000 miles is up on the engine I plan on increasing the 100,000 engine part to at least 125,000. That way by the time all the warranty is gone I will not be camping anymore or dead. I'll get more exercise with a dually because it's hard to find a spot up front at a restaurant with a crew cab long bed dually. You have to park in the back or across the street, more exercise. Plus if I should buy that bigger camper I'll already have the truck.
Old 09-04-2017, 12:17 PM   #18

Get whatever you want. Opinions will be all over the board. The real question to ask, instead of "Which truck should I get" (which results in folks saying what they already own, for some reason), should be "Help me. If YOU had unlimited funds and MUST buy a new towing vehicle, which one would you go buy?"....... and maybe tell 'why'.

(If you wanna know what I have, and why I have it, holler......I'll be glad to answer.)

P.S.
All new ones are good. Ignore the "my OLD truck does this or that"........ and my only advice is that the NEW model I have is extremely low maintenance. Period.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 02:14 PM   #19

Also be aware that most diesel engines are far heavier than gas option and you pay for that weight in lost payload.

So though the diesel would tow it better, if the diesel eats into the payload too much you might not be able to tow it at all, so the gasser would be the choice. Of course, if you go for a dually you should be all set with diesel.

From my friend Paul:
Pablo's Towing Paradox: The steeper the country you are towing in, the greater the need for a diesel. But the upgrade to a diesel motor allows you to carry less payload so you should get a smaller trailer, which you can then tow with a gasser.

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 03:53 PM   #20

I am confident that this post is the be all, end all (what I say is gospel) of posts of what truck to get...
...until the next post...

In reality, weigh your trailer and be realistic about your expectations. We have a Surveyor that weighs about the same as yours and tow it with a 2011 F150 Ecoboost. It does well for what is expected of it...a 1/2 ton truck towing something that out weighs it by 500lbs. I'm not the fastest up the pass and don't get 20mpg like the diesel's brag about, but it works for my intended purpose. So far, we've towed it 1000 miles total and I'm happy with the 9.5mpg and 62mph average.....it has done everything i expected.

If I were towing a lot more (5000+ miles a year...or whatever seems like a lot of miles) a 250/2500 would be nice...maybe even a diesel if $$$ was no object and I was constantly moving.

However, for my family of 4 and the dog, the F150 has allowed us the freedom to buy a trailer and become weekend warriors.

Figure out what pros and cons are most important and forget what's on the grill...chances are good, whatever you get:
1. The problem will be circled in blue, or
2. It will look like a Maxipad with wings, or
3. The emblem will mimic the female reproductive system!

Take your pick!!!

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
truck