Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2012, 10:43 AM   #1

Need usb to work

Not really a towing question, but an argument could be made that the tunes help to calm the nerves while towing.
So is anyone having trouble getting the usb stick to work in their factory truck stereo? I was successful on the first one. It is formatted as Fat and the tunes are either converted itunes songs or some other mp3 songs that I downloaded. When I bought another usb stick, these could only be formatted to FAT 32 which I did, then I copy and pasted the tunes to it. Both the Suburban and the F150 don't recognize this. The songs seem ok as they will play on the computer with windows media player.
Anyone have or had the issue and resolved this?
saskrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:41 PM   #2
Trailer Trash

Just a guess on my end as I don't have a new vehicle with USB enabled player.
Apple, Windows Vista and Windows 7 incorporated DRM - digital rights management. Many songs you download don't have a DRM tag associated with them so they are blocked/wont play on some newer electronic devices. IF you suspect this may be the case, try doing your music work on an older WinXP computer. Format the USB stick with the XP computer also. XP had choices of Fat16, Fat32, and NTFS. What you can do on Apple - I don't know. I'm a Win PC guy.

I'm only guessing as your early formatted usb stick worked you said. That may have been Fat16. Something for you to play with as there are a ton of old Applle and WinXP computers still around.
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:34 AM   #3

Some of the songs came from a computer which uses vista and some are from one with windows 7. All usb sticks were formatted on the vista computer. I'm not overly savvy with this but I'll give it a try. Thanks
Old 11-20-2012, 05:54 AM   #4

Make sure your not over your cap. some units can't read more the 2 or 4 gigs. what size of a USB are you using? Should be in your manual.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:02 AM   #5
Trailer Trash

DRM and FAT just a wildass guess on my part. Free to try with XP.

If your Ford has Microsoft Sync, you can also use bluetooth to pair the truck's stereo with your bluetooth enabled device (phone, mp3 player, etc.) to be the host music device. More and more states are going hands free operation for phone calls so putting music on phone and letting truck handle music AND phone calls is a sweet feature.

Ford SYNC | SYNC Support, Phone Compatibility, Updates, Manuals, Voice Guides, Instructions & More | Ford.com
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:21 PM   #6
Villa Estate 392FLFB

make sure they are all .mp3 files.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:47 AM   #7

I'm going to check the cap on this. The one that works is 1gb, the ones that don't are 8 and 16gb. I think that is the prob.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:25 AM   #8
Wanna Be Camper

Some good info here. It would seem fat32 is the answer.
64 gb pny Flash drive in USB - Ford F150 Forum

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:57 PM   #9

Tried all things that I know, nothing is working. Format is fat 32, they are all mp3. 8gb and 16gb do not work. The only thing I see different is that there are some songs that will not copy to the 1gb stick but will copy to the bigger ones. Could it be those songs that are the problem? Also, do the trucks have a memory towards the first stick and it won`t let me play another? This is kind of a pain in the cough cough
Old 11-28-2012, 04:23 PM   #10

Going out on a limb here... my company uses USB sticks to load software on our device. We have found that some USB's work right out of the package others need persuasion. On the Persuasion side, here are the steps we follow to completely reformat the USB stick, then we use Windows to format it in the proper way:

- Open a cmd window in administrator mode
- Plug the USB drive to the PC
- Type "diskpart" then the return key
- In diskpart use the following commands:
o "list disk"
§ Remember the number of the disk for the USB drive
o "select disk x"
§ Where x is the USB drive number above
o "clean"

o "exit"
Close the cmd window and format the USB as desired.

A word of caution: If not used properly these commands can wipe the hard drive of the PC! Be sure you select the proper drive number when typing "select disk x". If you select your computers hard drive, it will wipe your drive clean.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:07 PM   #11

Ok I definately don't want wipe out the hard drive, so I'm asking to start at the beginning? Cmd window? What is that and how do I get there in administrator mode. I should be good from there.