Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2021, 04:41 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacky View Post
Make sure your tires, especially the rears, are at maximum inflation. I would go with the max inflation marked on the tires, not manufacturer recommendations, on the rears. Have everybody pack light. Make sure you have 10-15% of your trailer weight on the tongue to prevent sway. Use the tow/haul switch on your truck. Don't drive too hard. Try it out and see how it works. If and when you decide to get another vehicle, get something with more tow capacity, and payload.
Thank you for the advice! Going to Grand Canyon next week from SoCal, will severely be limiting how much we take, no outdoor kitchen, grill, ect... I'll update how we do and thankfully it's pretty flat.
lavaweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 04:45 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjustdave View Post
So how does it drive?
Did you fill it full of water?
Gas tank full?

Myself you seem really close, and depending on the trip might be over.

I wont say being over is good but there are people over every day of the week and some are WAY over like 20% 30% and they are the crazy ones. I wouldn't fault you for 0-100 lb

There are ways to stay and or get within limits, less water, less gas, fewer people, less junk in the trunk. Moving stuff around.

you seem to have the weight under control my concern is you drive like your at capacity VS an idiot racing light to light, 70 MPH

Enjoy the trip, slow down, brake early, take it easy up and down hills. as others said keep the tires good and aired up to support the weight. and more importantly enjoy
It's always driven great! I can usually tell when I have a little too much behind the axel because it gets a little bouncy, but it's never felt unsafe or out of control, I've never swayed but I also attribute that to the equalizer weight distribution hitch.

I almost never tow with water because we don't boondock often, and the gas tank was half filled for those numbers above. So we're keeping our eyes out for the next TV, I really like the F150s but every calculation I've done shows me that buying one would be a 1-1 trade, and I'd still be maxed out...
Old 05-13-2021, 06:07 PM   #63

Ford is going to price themselves out of first place with the F-150. I just did a B&P on an F350 Lariat with the 7.3 gas and it costs less then a similar F-150. It also has features not yet available with the F-150(though soon will have them). $60K MSRP F350 Supercrew with 6 3/4' bed 4WD with ultimate trailer package and 7.3 gas engine. A similarly equipped 501a Lariat F150 with 3.5 EB Max Tow and 360 camera system is also $60K. Difference of less than $500 between them, and the F350 has the 5th wheel puck system installed. Neither have incentives at the moment.

The F-150 is EXPENSIVE! A 1:1 comparison, 2018 Platinum which is what I have and a same optioned 2021 has a $6000 increase in price. Really hard to justify an F150 as a work truck when an XL has a $50K MSRP.
Bhrava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 08:03 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhrava View Post
Ford is going to price themselves out of first place with the F-150. I just did a B&P on an F350 Lariat with the 7.3 gas and it costs less then a similar F-150. It also has features not yet available with the F-150(though soon will have them). $60K MSRP F350 Supercrew with 6 3/4' bed 4WD with ultimate trailer package and 7.3 gas engine. A similarly equipped 501a Lariat F150 with 3.5 EB Max Tow and 360 camera system is also $60K. Difference of less than $500 between them, and the F350 has the 5th wheel puck system installed. Neither have incentives at the moment.

The F-150 is EXPENSIVE! A 1:1 comparison, 2018 Platinum which is what I have and a same optioned 2021 has a $6000 increase in price. Really hard to justify an F150 as a work truck when an XL has a $50K MSRP.
At my price range of well well WELL loved (lol) I'm finding all types of different size trucks. I don't know why I just really didn't want to have the big ***** F250 or 2500 but I know that it's the best way to go if we want to be camping more often.
Old 05-13-2021, 08:26 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonSmith View Post
Actual Weights - Travel Trailer/Bumper Pull Weights from CAT Scales - TowingPlanner

Punch your numbers in here and it calculates a few key items like tongue weight for you.

Gross Combined Weight

This weight should not exceed your truck's GCWR.
Truck Weight (hitched + WDH engaged)

This weight should not exceed your truck's GVWR.
Truck Weight (hitched; no WDH)

Truck Weight (truck only)

Camper Weight

Tongue Weight

Tongue Weight Percentage
11.7 %

Tags
cat, scales