Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 02:05 PM   #41

Besides 4 wheels costing more, higher maintenance cost, higher insurance cost they are higher from the ground which is not good for 5th towing. Would never buy a 4wheeler for towing, good for off road though.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Old 01-27-2018, 02:10 PM   #42

I live in northeast Ohio. I work for the city road dept. plowing snow.
If I had to rely on 2WD to get to work before the plows get out there, I would never get to work and neither would anyone else. 4WD is mandatory for unplowed roads.
I used to get stuck all the time in my old 2WD. Wet grass towing my old trailer, my icy driveway or slight incline from a stop in winter. Personal choice for all.
Old 01-27-2018, 02:17 PM   #43

4x4 is like a gun

In my opinion 4 wheel drive is like my gun, I'd rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it
Old 01-27-2018, 02:27 PM   #44

Been driving 2WD trucks since 93 including my current tow vehicle all through many New England winters and have never gotten stuck... anywhere.
I have also owned a 4x4 since 06 and can probably count on one hand how many times I have used the 4-wheel option, most of the time it is due to the added weight of the front axle making the front wheels slide when running in 2WD.
Would not hesitate to buy a 3/4 ton 2WD if one is available when looking for my next truck.

2019 Ford F-250 Super Cab 6.2L Lariat
2016 ML23FB (Sold March 2024)
2024 ML25SRK
Old 01-27-2018, 02:28 PM   #45
Senior Senior Member

What a shame...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5CI View Post
it isn't BBQ is if Aint Pork
How do you live without burnt ends?
Old 01-27-2018, 02:42 PM   #46

My DW and I have went to places in cars that most who own 4X4 do not go. But the truck and Jeep are 4X4 so we can go more places. Our only 2 wheel drive is the MH.

Frank
Old 01-27-2018, 02:45 PM   #47

I don't off-road. I like my paint shiny.
When it snows I stay home.
When it's icy I don't even think about it.
I don't even like well-maintained dirt roads.

I DID however buy a 4x4, and am glad of it.

I pulled into a beautiful camp site in the Rockies, just outside of Rocky Mountain National Park. Beautiful trees. Looking out over a valley to the next mountain.

The camp roads were not paved, but that isn't a problem at 4 mph.

After I got set up, we went for a walk.

Yikes !! The only way out of the campground was up a 12 degree up-slope and then down a 15 degree down-slope.

And the roads had just been re-graded. Nice. No pot holes. However, the gravel was like marbles. Could hardly walk up/down the roads without slipping.

Time for a phone call. (Phone a friend?) I called my oldest son, the one that picked out the truck for me.

Me: "How am I going to get out of here?"
Son: "Just put it in 4-low."
Me: "4-What"?
Son: "And you can use it going down hill as well."

After a brief tutorial I understood, hoping I didn't embarrass my self by having to call again for repeat training.

When it was time to leave I hooked up the trailer, put the TV in 4-low, and began creeping up the 12 degree slope of marbles.

As I reached full slope, but still 50 yards from the top, a wheel threw marbles down the slope. Then 2 wheels, then 3 wheels. But, I kept creeping up the slope. No real stopping, just an alternating marble-toss going on.

We reached the top at a crawl, but we reached the top. Then we made the 110 degree turn to the right and headed DOWN HILL on the 15 degree path of marbles.

We idled the whole way down, with an occasional marble roll under the tires that seemed to triple our down-hill descent. You should have heard the exclamations from the passenger seat (or maybe not).

We reached the bottom of the hill, took the TV out of 4-low and back into 2x4 range, and pulled onto the blacktop to head home (black top is really nice).

Now I know why my son picked 4x4. You don't need it until you need it.
Old 01-27-2018, 03:03 PM   #48

The only thing I've ever been interested in buying that's on wheels and has a bed is an RV.
Old 01-27-2018, 03:13 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
We have owned lots of both 2 & 4 WD! I have not been "Stuck" on Wet Grass with a 4 WD! Youroo!!
X2, I used to hate wet grass
Having lots of Fun traveling with my wife
Old 01-27-2018, 03:17 PM   #50
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyShope View Post
That is an awful broad quote. I have lived all over the Midwest. IA, MN, WI, KS,NB, ND,MT In any of these states a 2wd truck us useless from roughly Oct-Apr.

I lived all over the south GA,AL, FL, NC, TX, OK you can get away with 2wd as long as you never leave the blacktop.

CO, UT, WA, OR 2wd is useless above 5000 ft unless it is late Jul or Aug.

That's an awful lot of territory for one to say hardly used. I'm a farm boy, police officer, & soldier & hunter.

Just my thoughts from places I have lived.
Yep may be broad but it sure applys to a lot of folks kind of a prestigious thing I guess. Well I have lived in about as many as those places you have that have tough winter never needed 4 wheel drive. Matter of fact had a 63 09 positraction and put 150 # weight in trunk and go where I wanted to as I was on 24 hr call. I have no need for it as I don't need to play in the mud or snow living in the south, and I don't need to get out on the roads when one does not need to. You buy what you like as you need it and I'll buy my 2w and save $4000 .

And if you lived all over the south you must have been in the woods. Been off black top never had issues but I don't get crazy either. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
Old 01-27-2018, 03:23 PM   #51

Traded in my 2wd superduty for a 4wd silverado. Now I get stuck in different places.
Old 01-27-2018, 03:34 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
Owned one 4 wheel drive and now all my trucks are 2 wheels drive with limited slip differentials . Never been stuck with with all my 2 wheel drive trucks. Yep go ahead and spend the bucks for something most people will never use. It's like giving the truck companies and dealers free money cause they just love to load trucks up to get more profit. Just cause you own a 4 wheel drive you thing everybody should and companies should stop building 2 wheel drive. What a joke. Ya and it does snow here with Ice also. Later RJD
I agree, owned my Ford F150 from new to 14 years living in WISCONSIN and never got stuck. I knew when I bought it it would never see off road, and I do know how to drive in snow. So why spend the money and get less MPG of gas!!
Old 01-27-2018, 03:35 PM   #53

Like a couple of others said in this thread... 4x4 low is handy for backing up the 5th wheel (or trailer) .

I have disconnected my 'on the fly' hub switch over and only use the manual locks when needed....

At an idle (in 4x4 low) on level ground in reverse it will move slow and steady, no harsh movements or jolting...gives you more time to check mirrors and put the rig right where you want it.
Backing a 5th wheel up a hill in 4x4 low is better for the tranny, no over heating, and slow and easy is the name of the game .

We get some winter snow here and I live in a hilly neighborhood... so the truck is handy with the 4x4 on those days.

What I can not get over are the dummies that take advantage of the 4x4 traction on snow covered roads , be it a truck, suv, or car, that they will drive the posted speed or faster... not thinking about having to stop quickly should it be necessary.... 4x4's do not have superior braking power.
Oppps... am I showing my age here sorry.

I like my 4x4... but I am not advocating they are for everyone.

Islander
Edge programmer, 4" SS exhaust turbo/back,
Tru-Cool Max Trans Cooler, Bilstein Shocks
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
Old 01-27-2018, 03:45 PM   #54

My biggest beef is when the list “ towing package” on the invoice but they don’t include towing mirrors, WTF?
Old 01-27-2018, 03:45 PM   #55

Can’t tell you how many 2WDs I’ve had to pull away from a launch ramp, how many times I’ve had to my in-law out of his wet yard when trying to park his camper, etc.

That being said, it depends on what you use the truck for.
Old 01-27-2018, 03:46 PM   #56
2018 Rockwood 2703WS

We have found most of the NP places you can go are not paved. You sorta have to know where to jump the curb to go off roading. At Arches NP we spent 2 days 4 wheeling through the rest of the park then into some BLM land. I would have never have made it over some of those boulders without 4x4.

We also like to go beach camping.

We also drive places we shouldn't.
Old 01-27-2018, 04:01 PM   #57
Site Team

Having lived in California for most of my life, I never needed a 4x4, not even to go skiing/snowboarding.

But I now live in Washington State and my 2wd Avalanche with locking rear end, doesn't get the job done anymore.
Especially since our new hillside home has a driveway of two 13% grade section's.

When it snowed 3 inches, the DW's AWD car couldn't make it up past 15 feet.
Luckily my 4x4 F150 with locking rear end(that I bought in August)had no problem getting us to the front door.

It really depends on the situations you encounter.
For me, I'll pay the extra for 4 wheel drive.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
Old 01-27-2018, 04:02 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCormickJim View Post

Yikes !! The only way out of the campground was up a 12 degree up-slope and then down a 15 degree down-slope.
I love your example. I hunt big game and am in Coulee Country in WI currently.

I had prepared for the hunt walking and learned from a MP (Military Police) of a backway in. My Nissan Titan has off road degree display. He said go slow you will be fine in 4x4, I have anti slip and slip lock. I went down a 15% grad over bowling ball sized rocks on a narrow trail. The uphill side was 28 degrees 2.5 miles up/. I never realized how steep that was until that day. No I would not take my TT on that road due to rock size but if it was simple gravel/snow I truly would.
Old 01-27-2018, 04:12 PM   #59

After driving 2x4 tricks for 10 years, I went to 4x4 and never looked back. I go off the black top quite frequently (being in the "awl bidness"). I've had to walk out after getting stuck driving a 2wd out in the mountains. A 4wd would have gotten me out in no time.

Just got home from Vernal UT where things were fine until last Saturday when we got 4" of snow. Work doesn't stop just because of some snow or slippery roads. Four-wheel drive and some aggressive tires helped me get out on location before the snow plows showed up.

If you want a 2x4 truck, fine. I'll take my 4x4 any day. Oh, and the gas mileage isn't any different (at least in a measurable way) - I still get 23 mpg at 65 mph and 19 mpg at 75 mph, which is better than my Tahoe ever got.
Old 01-27-2018, 04:18 PM   #60
Boondocking Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
Owned one 4 wheel drive and now all my trucks are 2 wheels drive with limited slip differentials . Never been stuck with with all my 2 wheel drive trucks. Yep go ahead and spend the bucks for something most people will never use. It's like giving the truck companies and dealers free money cause they just love to load trucks up to get more profit. Just cause you own a 4 wheel drive you thing everybody should and companies should stop building 2 wheel drive. What a joke. Ya and it does snow here with Ice also. Later RJD
Lol, you must not venture very far! The one time you need it the $$$ will be the furthest thing on your mind. Kinda glad I can come to your neck of the woods but you'll never be able to come to mine. Lol what a joke!
Closed Thread

Tags
truck