Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2021, 09:29 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by garywilson View Post
Look at etrailer.com reason for not using a sleeve (with one exception). Using the typical sleeve reduces your hitch rating by 'a lot'.

https://www.etrailer.com/question-151257.html

Also, my GM owner's manual says don't do it for heavy loads, the sleeve is for lightweight things such as boats, utility trailers, etc. The sleeve reduces the capacity of your hitch.

I replaced my 2" shank with a 2 1/2" shank from etrailer in 2016 after I read the owner's manual.

Believe you misunderstood what etrailer was saying reduced hitch rating. They said extensions not sleeves reduce hitch rating. The last paragraph specifically says a sleeve does not reduce hitch rating.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1940.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	265655
phipps33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 09:42 PM   #22

Not at all.
As the first paragraph says, "any ... adapter or extender" The second paragraph says "a sleeve such as the Reese...". I don't think 1" will cost me 1/2 of capacity, though.
The Reese ends even with the hitch (no extra or 'lip' on the adapter.
I use my adapter (extends about an inch) on my boat and utility trailers, the 2 1/2" on my TT.
Other publications recommend 2 1/2" for anything that hits10,000 pounds. Not there yet, but maybe in the future?
Anyway, the reason I changed out the shank was because of GM recommendation. Peace of mind was not expensive.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 10:23 PM   #23

Sleeve for receiver hitch.

I have used a sleeve in my receiver hitch for years. Word to the wise; be sure to by one with a flange on the end so the holes of the pin will line up properly. This will also serve as a reminder to put your pin back in when no draw bar is installed. As mentioned by others, I have lost a couple of sleeves because I forgot to put the pin back in.

https://www.amazon.com/MICTUNING-Tra...31862126&psc=1
Previously owned: 2014 Vengeance 25V, 2011 KZ 184,
2011 DIY 7 x 14 Enclosed Trailer,
Motorcycle pull behind cargo trailer with tent
smitty31093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 08:53 AM   #24

Quote:
Not at all.
As the first paragraph says, "any ... adapter or extender" The second paragraph says "a sleeve such as the Reese...". I don't think 1" will cost me 1/2 of capacity, though.
The Reese ends even with the hitch (no extra or 'lip' on the adapter.
I use my adapter (extends about an inch) on my boat and utility trailers, the 2 1/2" on my TT.
Other publications recommend 2 1/2" for anything that hits10,000 pounds. Not there yet, but maybe in the future?
Anyway, the reason I changed out the shank was because of GM recommendation. Peace of mind was not expensive.
Read the eTrailer thing again. The bottom paragraph clearly states that sleeves are the only type of adapter that doesn’t reduce hitch capacity.

“A hitch reducer sleeve such as Reese Titan Reducer Sleeve # 58102, which fits into a 2-1/2-inch hitch to reduce it's receiver opening to a 2-inch size, is the only type of adapter that does NOT cause a loss of hitch capacity because it does not alter the distance/geometry of the hitch tube.”

The adapters they’re talking about are the kind that you can get at Harbor Freight that actually move where the receiver opening is. They’re things like a Class II to Class III adapter that makes the receiver size larger, or an extension to move the receiver opening further aft. They’re essentially a lever, so they add a multiplying factor to the tongue weight.
MLdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 09:21 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty31093 View Post
I have used a sleeve in my receiver hitch for years. Word to the wise; be sure to by one with a flange on the end so the holes of the pin will line up properly. This will also serve as a reminder to put your pin back in when no draw bar is installed. As mentioned by others, I have lost a couple of sleeves because I forgot to put the pin back in.

https://www.amazon.com/MICTUNING-Tra...31862126&psc=1
An aluminum sleeve? I would have thought they would be made from steel?

I would think over time the holes in the softer metal might become elongated or out of round from all of the wear and tear?

For me... sort of seems like a forgone conclusion. If I need more drop, I might as well get the proper fitting shank.

The new TV is scheduled for delivery in February. I have some time to think.
Ron
Ron045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 09:28 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron045 View Post
Hello All,

I hope I put this in the correct sub forum. I recently ordered a new TV. A Ram 2500.

A friend of mine said I will need to get a a new shank for my Equal-i-zer because I have a 2" shank now and the new TV will have a 2.5" hitch.

He said I could get a sleeve, but I would probably be happier with a proper fitting shank.

I also think I will need a shank with a bigger drop also as the new TV (Ram 2500) will ride a lot higher than the old TV (Lincoln Navigator).

Can I get any brand of shank or do I have to get the Equal-i-zer shank? They seem to be all over the place as far as price.

I also assume that I can replace the old 2' shank with the 2.5" shank. I don't have to buy a whole new equal-i-zer... right?

Thanks.
Ron
No need to buy anything, the 2" to 2 1/2" adapter comes with the truck.
Jcape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 04:00 PM   #27

Quote:
Look at etrailer.com reason for not using a sleeve (with one exception). Using the typical sleeve reduces your hitch rating by 'a lot'.

https://www.etrailer.com/question-151257.html

Also, my GM owner's manual says don't do it for heavy loads, the sleeve is for lightweight things such as boats, utility trailers, etc. The sleeve reduces the capacity of your hitch.

I replaced my 2" shank with a 2 1/2" shank from etrailer in 2016 after I read the owner's manual.
Note that the identified etrailer post warning is about hitch extenders, not sleeves. Regarding sleeves that same post says:
"A hitch reducer sleeve such as Reese Titan Reducer Sleeve # 58102, which fits into a 2-1/2-inch hitch to reduce it's receiver opening to a 2-inch size, is the only type of adapter that does NOT cause a loss of hitch capacity because it does not alter the distance/geometry of the hitch tube."
There is no safety issue and no load reduction issue associated with using a sleeve.