Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2019, 09:12 AM   #1

New AirSafe Hitch and a general warning

I just purchased a new Airsafe Omni 25K. I was having huge chucking problems with my gooseneck adaptor (I have other trailers so I did the adapter for ease of use)
I went with the Airsafe Omni because it appear to be the only hitch that moves in all directions.
Observations on both:
AirSafe:
Extremely high quality and workmanship.
Excellent customer service
Expensive but worth every penny.
I tested the hitch with the trailer and the truck now rides great. Of course you hit each bump 3 times instead of twice but the third hit is now maybe 1/4 of the first two. Very happy with the ride.

Convert-a-ball Gooseneck adapter:
Very well built
Great customer service
Works as advertised.
Created a bucking/chucking condition that made the rig nearly undrivable on all but the smoothest roads.
What I liked:
Clear bed of truck
No heavy hitch in bed.
You can't mess up and drop your 5th wheel on the bed rails of the truck
Very secure connection.
I have a Flagstaff 524LWS. I can not attribute all of the ride issues to the adapter as this model is not balanced correctly IMHO.
The holding tanks or in the front (empty when traveling) and the water tank is in the rear (full when traveling because we dry camp) and the wheels are dead on in the center of the box (minus the cab over) where every other 5th wheel I have looked at the wheels are more like 2/5's over hang in the rear and 3/5's on the front. This trailer barely has 1000 lbs of pin weight!
I actually added 300 lbs of rocks under the bed (right on top of the pin box) and it rode much better.

Now for the warning:
If you buy a new 5th wheel hitch make DARN SURE to know what locked looks like. Looking at the back to make sure they are closed in NOT enough!

I have seen many trucks with dents in the top of the bed rails from dropped 5th wheels (remember I said this can not happen with a goose neck)
I always made the comment "What kind of idiot would allow that to happen?"
Well, not all I have to do is look in a mirror to see that idiot!
And ......as Forest Gump says, " That's all I have to say about that."
Shrimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:09 AM   #2
Always Learning

Which head do you have on your Airhitch? The Valley or the Binkley?
Old 10-02-2019, 12:31 PM   #3

Binkley:
I got lucky. My legs were still almost down. Only left a "reminder mark" in the top of the tailgate.

Oh, the rocks were a temporary fix. They were removed when the air hitch was installed. I did hit the cat scale with the rocks installed as was still slightly below GVW rating but the pin weight was much more in line with the 20% of GVW recommendation.

And now I have a nice Fire Ring at my Florida house!
Old 10-02-2019, 03:12 PM   #4
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimpy View Post
Binkley:
I got lucky. My legs were still almost down. Only left a "reminder mark" in the top of the tailgate.
Interesting. The arm on my Binkley head (on my TrailerSaver TS3) comes straight out the side. I have to lock it back to hitch up, but once I get into the hitch, the arm clicks forward and I can see it all from the driver's seat.

We still do a pull test with the feet just 1-2" off of the ground. But I don't expect any kind of issue so long as the arm is in the locked position.
Old 10-04-2019, 04:44 PM   #5

Wont be an issue if the arm is locked. I looked in from the back before test pull and saw closed jaws and ASSUMED that was that.
Now that I am am darn sure where the arm needs to be it wont be an issue. New hitch rookie mistake. I say rookie because it's a new hitch, I am not new at towing.

Tags
hitch