Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2024, 08:29 AM   #1

New Dummy; need WDH advice

Could use some guidance I have many years experience pulling trailer, goose neck, to bumper pull. I purchase a 2010 Roo 19ft and purchased a Ram 2500 to pull it. I would like to use a weight distribution system for it, looking at a equilizer. Pricey but, I found one that is about 1/3 the price of a new one, its only a 6000 lbs, is this large enough for my set up up do I need a larger one. Can't hook to truck yet, need a 2.5 in shank, I only have 2 in laying around. Any and all help is appreciated, Thank you.
DDH56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 09:26 AM   #2

We had an Equal-i-zer 10,000 LB and it worked great with our 2022 Tundra Limited and Flagstaff 22FBS. I'll admit I went with the 10K just for some 'cush'. Here's a link from Equal-i-zer to figure what they recommend:

https://www.equalizerhitch.com/blog/...odel-do-i-need
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 09:58 AM   #3

On a 2500, with a 19", do you really need WD?

I could see where you might want sway control but ...
Old 05-19-2024, 10:22 AM   #4

Roo 19 can weigh 6000 pounds which will put 600 to 900 pounds on the ball so I'm inclined to think a WDH may not be needed with this large pickup truck. How does it pull now? Any sway? Any light steering from that weight on the ball?

For handling sway control I'd think a 6000 pound Equalizer (tm) will be fine.

Easy enough to slide a 2.5" to 2" adapter in there. It's just filler.

-- Chuck
Old 05-19-2024, 10:30 AM   #5
Guitar G

Fastway e-2

You might also consider the Fastway e-2, also made by Equalizer, but with 2 points of sway control instead of 4. Less expensive, and probably just as effective sway control for your set up. We have used this WDH for 7 years and 2 different trailers and have been very happy with it. We think sway control is worthwhile, even if you don't need the weight distribution. Might go larger than 6,000, but we like lots of safety margin. Good luck with your camper!
2019 Ford F-150 3.5L EcoBoost
Guitar G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 10:59 AM   #6

Adapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDH56 View Post
Could use some guidance I have many years experience pulling trailer, goose neck, to bumper pull. I purchase a 2010 Roo 19ft and purchased a Ram 2500 to pull it. I would like to use a weight distribution system for it, looking at a equalizer. Pricey but, I found one that is about 1/3 the price of a new one, its only a 6000 lbs., is this large enough for my set up up do I need a larger one. Can't hook to truck yet, need a 2.5 in shank, I only have 2 in laying around. Any and all help is appreciated, Thank you.
2" to 2-1/2" shank adapters are pretty cheap at Home Depot, Lowes, Harbor Freight, and Amazon.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 11:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDH56 View Post
Could use some guidance I have many years experience pulling trailer, goose neck, to bumper pull. I purchase a 2010 Roo 19ft and purchased a Ram 2500 to pull it. I would like to use a weight distribution system for it, looking at a equilizer. Pricey but, I found one that is about 1/3 the price of a new one, its only a 6000 lbs, is this large enough for my set up up do I need a larger one. Can't hook to truck yet, need a 2.5 in shank, I only have 2 in laying around. Any and all help is appreciated, Thank you.
You may get responses from people talking about your tongue weight and truck setup, take their advice and use it as you see fit, it certainly helped me.

My observations - on your TT, don't trust MFR tongue weights, mine says 778lbs, actual loaded up and ready to go camping the tongue weight is over 1100 lbs. (with no fresh water).

I also have a 2500 Ram with coil springs and without a WDH it does sag a bit. So I use a "budget" CAMCO Recurve R3 (replaced the 2" shank with a 2-1/2" shank) and have 1000lb bars to level it out, the sway control is super easy to use and it seems rock solid.

I recently added a set of 1500 lb. SUMOSPRING bump stops to the truck which seems to have eliminated the sag and porpoising inherent with the coil springs. Not sure if I was lucky but on my last trip of 240 miles on the interstate I forgot to use the sway control and had no sway so maybe the SUMO's helped there as well.
2022 E2W ALTA 2850KRL
TheMarkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 11:21 AM   #8

I would try it first without the WD hitch. Our trailer drops the rear of our 2500 less than 2", that amount just about levels the truck. The front raises 3/8" to 1/2" with the trailer weight on the ball. And we are a bit heavier than your setup. it pulls as smooth as any I have towed. No push or pull from trucks, no sway, and the wind has not been an issue.

I did buy a 2.5" hitch because the adapter sleeve was loud and one more place to add movement.

I have been very happy without the WD hitch. I don't miss the screeching and popping, I don't miss the hitching and I don't miss having to drop the WD bars before getting into my own driveway.
My own driveway comes off the road steeply uphill and turns quickly down. at one point the truck is going down and the trailer is still going uphill, and that puts a lot of strain on the trailers frame.
Since I did not need it to distribute some of the weight off the rear truck axle to the front axle I skipped it. DR
dangerranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 12:15 PM   #9
D W

Yes, technically a WDH may not be needed, but scientifically it may be desired. A WDH allows weight to transferred forward so the rear of your TV isn't "tasked" with withstanding all the shock going down the road. A properly adjusted WDH also aids and assists in tracking. You don't have to spend thousands of $'s on a WDH, I don't. I've got 10k bars for the safety margin at a cost of $200, with the long shank so I can open the tailgate. They've always worked great for me. Got mine dialed-in and just threw the sway control in the scrap metal bin.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 06:12 AM   #10

I dont know how it pulls, with the 2500 yet, I had a 1500 when I brought it home. I got a 2.5 to 2 sleeve, now I need a 2 in ball, I have them, but shanks are to small, I did buy the 6000 equalizer, almost new for 350. I would like to thank each and every one of you that has weighed in on this thread. I will get a 2.5 to help with noise for now, get plates on it and work from there. Again Thank you each and every one.
Old 06-12-2024, 07:28 PM   #11

The EQ should have clear instructions but take the time to measure, on level ground, the height of the plate the ball mounts to, mount the trailer and measure again for the amount of drop, adjust the EQ to bring it back up to the original height at the hitch plate. Makes a major difference in night time driving and gaving oncoming flashing because they think you have the high beams on.
flyfishingphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 05:30 AM   #12

I agree with the others that you may not need a WDH.
Mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 08:43 AM   #13

A big Thank You

I am very pleased with all the helping hands, with this question, I did get the 6000 equil izer , the 350 I pd for it, is just in case, Have not pulled it yet, just got the 2.5 hitch for my truck. Will let all know what is going on. Thank you all so much for the information and kindness.