Old 09-08-2020, 11:15 AM   #1

New Ford Ranger Towing Experiences

I plan to purchase in 2021 either a new Ford Ranger, Chevy Colorado or the soon to be released Nissan Frontier. I currently tow my R pod 180 with a 2014 Nissan Frontier, 6 cylinder, 4x4. Not too bad towing but is a bit weak going up steep hills, etc. I want to keep using a midsize truck. It fits well in my garage and meets my needs. The Ranger has the best towing maximum and best gas mileage (vs. Chevy, Toyota, Frontier) with its 4 cylinder turbo, 10 speed transmission and high gear ratio. I would like feedback from the new Ford Ranger owners who tow in real world situations. Do they think the 4 cyclinder turbo engine will hold up with years of use? Have Ranger owners towed 5,000 - 6,000 lbs going through the mountains? My Rpod has a GVWR of 3,790 but I want plenty of cushion and the ability to climb steep hills safely and comfortably. I totally understand that I would be better off towing with a full size truck but I only tow my travel trailer about 4-5 times per year. Thoughts?
Trikeman50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 11:27 AM   #2

Just tossing this out there, but donít forget the Chevy/GMC midsize trucks have a diesel option with a higher tow rating than the Ford and get better fuel economy. I love mine.
Old 09-08-2020, 12:20 PM   #3

DieselDrax- You are correct. Good point. However, the price for a new diesel is more than I want to spend vs. the gas version. Thanks for pointing this out, regardless.

Hope to hear from some new Ford Ranger owners with their towing experiences. .
Old 09-08-2020, 04:42 PM   #4

You may get more responses on one of the Ranger specific forums, like this one.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-thoughts.html
Old 09-08-2020, 08:17 PM   #5
Site Team

I asked my neighbor, who has a new Ranger Ecoboost 4cyl but he doesn't keep track of fuel mileage. He's just happy that it's better than his previous Ranger.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 01:20 PM   #6

Hey Dan. Would you ask your neighbor what his experience has been like towing, if he does tow? That's what I'm trying to learn.
Old 09-09-2020, 02:35 PM   #7

Researched Ranger, Bought Ridgeline

We needed a tow vehicle for our RPod 195 last fall when we sold our Highlander. I researched every midsized truck, drove them all (some more than once), looked at the stats. I had planned to buy a new Ranger, but in all our research the Honda Ridgeline stood out. It is a wonderful tow vehicle for the RPod. Good mileage, plenty of power, some unusual storage options, smooth ride. I have a couple of thousand miles of towing in different conditions and have complete trust in it. The all wheel drive is excellent. So I suggest you give it a look.
Ourpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 03:17 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trikeman50 View Post
Hey Dan. Would you ask your neighbor what his experience has been like towing, if he does tow? That's what I'm trying to learn.
No, he doesn't tow anything.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 03:43 PM   #9

I drove a new 4cyl ranger for a few days when my truck was in the shop for a few recalls. It was peppy and fun to drive and the payload was about 1500lbs on the sticker which impressed me. I cannot speak to towing other than the turbo should help in terms of power loss at altitude. Wish I could help more....next time I will hook it up to my trailer and put it to the real test.
dbledan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 04:14 PM   #10

Quote:
DieselDrax- You are correct. Good point. However, the price for a new diesel is more than I want to spend vs. the gas version. Thanks for pointing this out, regardless.

Hope to hear from some new Ford Ranger owners with their towing experiences. .
I am not a diesel person. When our son was shopping for a Colorado, the diesel option came up, and like you did not want to spend the money. But, if money was the only factor, there might be some good deals on 2020 models. They have a somewhat limited market. The one thing he was insistent on was the longer wheel base. More cargo capacity, better ride, and better towing. Like you, it had to fit in his garage. It does by 4".
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 04:20 PM   #11

Look at some of the actual towing tests.
https://www.google.com/search?q=ford...&client=safari
20 yrs + 1 million miles
Newbie Pup Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 10:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I asked my neighbor, who has a new Ranger Ecoboost 4cyl but he doesn't keep track of fuel mileage. He's just happy that it's better than his previous Ranger.
Ok so I have a 2019 Ranger just got back from a trip to northern Cal going over the grapevine there and back. I am 12,050 combined gross vehicle weight. My Ranger took the hard pull at 50-55 mph in 4th and 5th gear taching 3800-4K. Round trip I got 11.75 mpg
I love my Ranger, it it a horse in disguise I run 62 mph on the flats.
TomatoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 09:48 AM   #13

Thanks to everyone who so far has provided input. In regard to the Ridgeline, I have heard good things about the vehicle. However, the Ridgeline only tows up to 5,000 lbs. My current 2014 Frontier 4x4 pulls up to 6,300. So, I really don't want to go that far down in towing capacity.
Tomato Man- what RV are you pulling? 12,050 combined weight. Can you provide a bit more information as to the gross vehicle what of the RV you are pulling. Also, how well do the brakes handle the higher towing weight? The one consistent negative I have read about in virtually every review of the new Ranger are the squishy brakes.
The Frontier came out with a new motor for 2020 which will now tow up to 6,710 lbs. The 2021 will have the same motor but will have a redesigned body. I am inclined to wait to see what they are like and to what extent they increase the length of the truck. Hope they don't increase it too much.
Old 09-11-2020, 09:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Also, how well do the brakes handle the higher towing weight?
I've seen similar questions/comments pop up a lot, folks seem to think the tow vehicle is responsible for slowing and stopping their travel trailer. That is not the case for trailers with trailer brakes, the trailer brakes are responsible for slowing and stopping the trailer. The truck is only meant to slow and stop up to the GVWR of the truck itself. If you are relying on the truck to slow and stop the trailer under normal conditions then you need to address the issue with your trailer brakes or the brake controller that is causing the trailer brakes to not be fully effective, whether that's the incorrect gain setting, brakes out of adjustment, contaminated shoes, etc. You should not be feeling like the trailer is pushing the truck when you're braking.
Old 09-11-2020, 10:26 AM   #15

Good point DieselDrax. I wasn't clear. The reviews about mushy brakes for the new Ranger were about the truck itself- not specifically about towing. However, if the truck brakes by itself were mushy, even with a good brake controller, could this not lead to an uncomfortable towing experience? Perhaps not. That's the question I was trying to get at.
Old 09-11-2020, 10:48 AM   #16

Quote:
Good point DieselDrax. I wasn't clear. The reviews about mushy brakes for the new Ranger were about the truck itself- not specifically about towing. However, if the truck brakes by itself were mushy, even with a good brake controller, could this not lead to an uncomfortable towing experience? Perhaps not. That's the question I was trying to get at.
Ideally you shouldn't feel any difference in braking effort when stopping with a trailer that has properly working brakes. I've had to do an emergency stop while towing our trailer (thankfully only once that I can remember) and I was thankful I make sure my trailer brakes are always up to snuff because in that situation, as it was happening, I was thinking "Oh !@#$, here we go" and it ended up being a rather fast, controlled stop with no drama. The truck wasn't pushed by the trailer, I didn't have to fight to maintain control, and the stopping distance was shorter than I thought it would be.

So, the point is towing *shouldn't* make tow vehicle brakes that feel marginal feel worse or even less effective. Don't expect to have anywhere near the same stopping distance while towing because physics but you also shouldn't expect to feel like you're fighting the weight of the trailer when you're braking either. Whether the Ranger has soft/spongy brakes or not is something the trailer shouldn't have an impact on if its brakes and the brake controller are working properly and with every trailer and their brakes being different there's no way to know if someone else's braking experience towing with the Ranger will be anything like yours or anyone else's. Just too many variables. Someone could say the Ranger's brakes suck for towing when the problem is their trailer's brakes are out of adjustment because they haven't maintained them, etc.
Old 09-11-2020, 11:12 AM   #17

Quote:
Thanks to everyone who so far has provided input. In regard to the Ridgeline, I have heard good things about the vehicle. However, the Ridgeline only tows up to 5,000 lbs. My current 2014 Frontier 4x4 pulls up to 6,300. So, I really don't want to go that far down in towing capacity.
Tomato Man- what RV are you pulling? 12,050 combined weight. Can you provide a bit more information as to the gross vehicle what of the RV you are pulling. Also, how well do the brakes handle the higher towing weight? The one consistent negative I have read about in virtually every review of the new Ranger are the squishy brakes.
The Frontier came out with a new motor for 2020 which will now tow up to 6,710 lbs. The 2021 will have the same motor but will have a redesigned body. I am inclined to wait to see what they are like and to what extent they increase the length of the truck. Hope they don't increase it too much.
I am towing a 28’ ForestRiver Salem Cruise lite. Loaded trailer weighs right at 7000 lbs. with the trailer brakes I have had no issue stopping or slowing down. Yes the brakes Pedal on the truck does feel softer than any other vehicle I’ve ever driven but they do the job,just a matter of getting use to it. Many on this site have Said I have too much trailer for this truck but I have the best Weight Distribution anti sway hitch made, it is the Hensley Arrow and handles wind way better than the 4point Equalizer i first had I am really pleased with the Ranger
Old 09-11-2020, 11:50 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoMan View Post
I am towing a 28’ ForestRiver Salem Cruise lite. Loaded trailer weighs right at 7000 lbs. with the trailer brakes I have had no issue stopping or slowing down. Yes the brakes Pedal on the truck does feel softer than any other vehicle I’ve ever driven but they do the job,just a matter of getting use to it. Many on this site have Said I have too much trailer for this truck but I have the best Weight Distribution anti sway hitch made, it is the Hensley Arrow and handles wind way better than the 4point Equalizer i first had I am really pleased with the Ranger
Also when you select the trailer tow mode the engine brake helps assist keeping the truck at the desired downhill speed limiting how much or how long you have to apply the brakes coming off a steep grade. This allows the truck brakes to stay cool enough in case you need to hit the brakes hard if someone infrontof you does a bonehead move.
Old 09-12-2020, 11:14 AM   #19

TomatoMan. Wow, you do seem to be pushing the envelope with that weight- but glad to hear the Ford does so well. That confirmation helps a lot.

I will now start a new thread on people's experience with the 2020 Nissan Frontier. They changed their V6 engine for 2020 but didn't change the body (minor interior tweeks). The 2021 Frontier will keep the 2020 engine but update the body.
Old 09-12-2020, 07:36 PM   #20

DON't do it

It sounds to me like you are working hard to talk yourself into thinking the 4 cyl will be OK. You will regret it.
NormTn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, towing