Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2015, 12:00 AM   #21

i bought a kit with my 6 position tuner that eliminated the labrynth air intake and replaced it with a piece of4" dia tubeing and a K&N filter.Google "6 position tuner for 7.3 powerstroke and it will come up.I am running the tuner on position 4 and the power is perfect for what I tow.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 06:52 AM   #22

Thanks ICobra, I found the FTE forum and those folks are helpful too. I am looking into the Equalizer4 hitch to help with sway.. I remember being in the backseat of my parents "72 station wagon pulling a 21' Layton. Me and the siblings couldn't wait to get passed by an 18 wheeler ! Must have white-knuckled my Pop for life. How do you like your new TV and the 6.7? I have to stick with my current TV for couple years but think that is the direction I am inclined to go..
BernieCrumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 07:24 AM   #23

modifications to the airbox would be basically useless. The stock box flows all the air that engine will ever need. You might add 2-3HP at high RPM. Sure won't make a seat-of-the-pants difference. Will just make more noise sucking air.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 08:37 AM   #24

Quote:
What is the pressure test, re-caulk and PDI?
The dealer closes all doors, windows & vents & then pumps air into the RV while applying a soapy solution to the outside - especially around caulked areas. A lot like checking gas pipes for leaks... They mark where bubbles form & then re-caulk those areas. Since I was buying a used TT, they included it in the price. However, they strongly recommend it for new ones as well, since so many RVs arrive from the manufacturer with issues...

The Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI) is your ONLY chance to make certain everything works before you leave the lot. They will work & work to get it right BEFORE you leave, but if you have to return for warranty work, you could wait & wait... Some folks buying new spend their 1st camping season having warranty work done vs. actually camping. We've now had our (used) TT for 2 camping seasons with no serious issues...

During our PDI, one of our dealer's skilled mechanics showed us how to operate everything on the RV while they also tested to make sure everything works - gas, 12V & 110V. Our mechanic adjusted both slides & the awning, replaced a faulty CO2 detector, checked to make sure FULL fresh water, gray & black tanks did not leak, checked to make sure the water pump, stove, microwave, entertainment system, etc. all worked properly, and checked to make sure all motors for tongue jack & stabilizers worked. They also demonstrated how to retract the slides with a cordless drill should a motor fail... They allowed me to videotape the whole 2.5 hour PDI. Obviously they are not going to lie to you knowing their statements are on tape...

I purposefully looked at TTs during heavy rains. I saw new ones leaking badly whereas my used TT was bone-dry. I looked behind every access panel with a flashlight & noted that the dust on mine was evenly spread (always dry) whereas others showed where streaming water had made a pathway through the dust/sawdust - a sure sign that TT has leaked. I also looked for water stains on exposed wood & walked-away from any new/used TT that looked too risky...

Once the salesperson sees you doing this, they will steer you away from the lemons. I inquired about a couple new & used TTs on the lot & salespersons wouldn't even show them to me because he/she knew they were lemons. I actually spent 2 hours looking at our TT before making an offer & then they spent another 2.5 hours walking me through the PDI...

This was our FIRST RV purchase but I approached it like buying our house... We looked at over 50 houses before we found a great deal on a (used) custom-built home by a reputable builder on a highly desirable country lot... Patience pays-off, especially when you are spending your hard-earned $$$....
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 11:20 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieCrumb View Post
Thanks ICobra, I found the FTE forum and those folks are helpful too. I am looking into the Equalizer4 hitch to help with sway.. I remember being in the backseat of my parents "72 station wagon pulling a 21' Layton. Me and the siblings couldn't wait to get passed by an 18 wheeler ! Must have white-knuckled my Pop for life. How do you like your new TV and the 6.7? I have to stick with my current TV for couple years but think that is the direction I am inclined to go..
I loved my first 6.7 so much tat when I saw drove the 2016 it really impressed with how much more refined it is. I also use an Equal-i-zer and love it. I have the 14000/1400 model

TT: 2016 40' Chaparral 360IBL at 14000lbs
TV: 2016 F450 Platinum 6.7 CC LWB FX4, B&W Companion Hitch
IronCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 11:54 AM   #26

I would definitely add an additional tranny oil cooler.

Several years ago while on a trip to Texas we got caught in heavy traffic on a hot August day (105 degrees that day) leading up to the Mississippi river bridge in Baton Rouge, LA (we had a 2005 Ford Excursion with a V-10 pulling a 37 foot Open Range TT) when all of a sudden everyone was pointing at our vehicle when I then saw smoke coming out from under it.

The issue was we were going so slow due to the traffic along with the heat the fan couldn't keep the transmission fluid cool enough. It overheated and we barely made over the bridge before the transmission shut down. Hello, Good Sam travel service.

$6K later after the transmission overhaul (in Baton Rouge) and the rental truck to get us to our destination, I learned a hard lesson. The transmission shop suggested they add an additional oil cooler, which I had them do. It was nickels and dimes compared to everything else and never regretted it.
Troy, NC
Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 06:44 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieCrumb View Post
Look into the Andersen WDH.... Greatest system I ever used. I know not a lot of folks has them but those of us that do love them. They don't seem to work as well for folks that are towing heavy tongue weights with light 1/2 ton trucks. For 3/4 and up they work really well.
2021 Sabre 37FBT
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 07:06 AM   #28

1. trans cooler from a 6.0 2. Talk to Mike at 5Star tuning 3. gear change
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 07:32 AM   #29

Just put a K&N cold air intake on it and run it like it is. I've towed a lot more with less. Your rig is just fine for what you'll be doing.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 08:24 AM   #30
Citrus County, Fl.

I have a 2000 Super Duty super cab but with the V-10 and 3:73 gears. If you have a factory receiver hitch it is only rated for a 1,000 tongue weight. After you get everything set up get it weighed as you may need to upgrade your receiver. Your tongue weight is 797 dry so depending on how you load the unit it may go above 1000# 2000 is the same basic truck as the 2003 which had an upgraded hitch with a 2550# tongue rating (Curt available thru etrailer $268) https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hit...cleid=20008725
Another concern is the "rated" towing capacity of the 4x4 (7100-7300) depending whether it's a super cab or crew but again you should be fine if you stay out of the mountains.

If you have the trailer tow package you already have the tranny cooler which is all I ever used and pulled thru the Smokies numerous times in 16 years with no issues. Only thing I added was a K&N air filter. You should be good if you are staying out of the mountains.

I also towed in overdrive unless it was downshifting a lot. Just be sure to anticipate your hills and speed up a bit before ascending and back off the throttle when you hit the crest.

When we bought our 99 Terry I was pulling it with a std cab 1975 F250 with unknown rear end, a 360 and Holley 4 barrel. I added a brake controller, trans cooler and spring shocks and went for it. 6 mpg towing and would drop to 35 mph going up the hills in North Georgia and the Carolinas. Your 2000 is a stiff truck and should be fine for a couple of years.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f250, modifications