RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-12-2020, 06:30 PM   #21

WDH hitch

We have the Equalizer 4 point hitch with a Rockwood Mini-lite 1905 and a Toyota Runner, We had a Husky with the bars and chains and the friction control assembly but it did not tow well so we upgraded to the Equalizer. It works great and in fact just came back from a trip with some strong wind today on I-15 and everything was great , wish I had seen your post, we could have added a picture.

Welcome to the group and have safe and great adventures.
2017 Mini-lite 1905
2015 Toyota 4 Runner
Fivebuccs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 07:24 PM   #22

New Hitch selection

Welcome to the forum from Southern Maryland. As with all the other responses to your post, I agree with the Equalizer E4 system. I currently have a 2018 model 2506S and use the E4 system. It works great for me. If you decide to get the E4 let me know. I was given an E4 system when I bought my TT in 2018 and haven't use it because I already had one on my previous TT. I would be willing to negotiate a deal. I only live about 45 minute from you. Just PM me.
Old 11-12-2020, 07:34 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Where did you get a new 4 point Equal-i-zer for $150? I got mine 14 years ago for $400 and that was cheapest price I could find.
I found it on Facebook marketplace. People bought a bumper pull trailer to try out full time living in one and decided to go for it but need a bigger one and switched to a 5er. Hitch was set up but didn't have any rust on the bars or paint missing yet. Said they set it up but never traveled with it.

Check Facebook market place as well as local Facebook groups, offer up app, and Craigslist. ( Craigslist is burnt out but can get lucky) if you find the deal, you have to jump on it. Don't trust somebody saying they will hold it. It will be sold before you get to it.

Just seen the post above, see if you can make a deal. He has two and prob tired of looking at it. Don't wait or one of these other fellers reading with snatch it up.
Ole_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 08:40 PM   #24

I have had a couple of the cheaper hitches. Eaze-lift with add on sway control bars, etc. I sold my trailer and got a truck camper. Too much white knuckle towing. For my new trailer I got the equalizer with 4 point sway control. The one with the square bars. Towing is now a piece of cake. I discovered these must be what those guys driving 70mph must be using. If I ever need another hitch I would get one of these or something similar. They are definitely worth the extra money. IMHO, the cheaper ones are pretty much worthless.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 10:04 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorRay View Post
Hello, I'm new to this forum. We recently purchased a 2021 Rockwood 2506S that we will pick up in a month. I'm trying to learn about the correct sway control hitch to purchase. What is the difference between the steel bars versus the /bars in the weight distribution hitches? Any suggestions on which hitch to purchase?? I have a 2008 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4. Thanks for any advice.

I have a hot shot business. We deliver a LOT of trailers. We use Blue Ox. Whatever you do, do NOT listen to anybody who says Andersen. They can not transfer weight off the rear axle. We verified his many times on our scales.
Rick J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 10:06 PM   #26

We have a 2017 Rockwood 2507S, TV is F250 Crew 4x4. We use an equalizer hitch and never had a problem - about 45,000 Km (27,000 miles) on the trailer so far, and we live in Northern Alberta where it gets pretty windy, often with strong cross winds.
CanadAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 10:08 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
Look into the Andersen . no grease needed and works like a charm .

We have tried these may time by actually weighing on our scales. They DO NOT transfer weight. I tow professionally.
Rick J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 10:27 PM   #28
swj

save time and money

ProprideP3 hitch ELIMINATES SWAY and is simpler/quicker to hook up. No greasy bars to deal with. Easy to level your trailer. Save yourself time and money and get the P3 first. My Dealer put a Fastway2 hich that was worthless($300). Then I went up to a EQ 4, better, but to much sway ($800). Then moved to a P#. Sway eliminated. Lesson learned.
swj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 10:35 PM   #29

I have a 12000lb equalizer I use for my Salem Hemisphere that I keep in Florida.When I am back up north I have a 10000lb equalizer I use for my hybrid camper that I bought on marketplace for $40.Yes I lucked out.I like equalizer been using them for 20 plus years.They can be noisy but the older I get the less I hear them,lol.
shark13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 10:41 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtPutnam View Post
Welcome from Southern California!
The Andersen is the lightest of the WDH hitches and IMO the easiest to hook and unhook. No need to lever up bars are remove bars that may be under stress. We moved from a Husky Centerline
Quote:
Originally Posted by shark13 View Post
I have a 12000lb equalizer I use for my Salem Hemisphere that I keep in Florida.When I am back up north I have a 10000lb equalizer I use for my hybrid camper that I bought on marketplace for $40.Yes I lucked out.I like equalizer been using them for 20 plus years.They can be noisy but the older I get the less I hear them,lol.
Did that 10K Equalizer burn your hands when you picked it up?
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 02:04 PM   #31

Welcome,
We have a 2018 2506s and absolutely love it!! Hope you will too! It's the best couples trailer we could find. It checked ALMOST every box for us, which is about as much as one can ask for.

Our TT came with an EAZ-Lift R3 hitch. I purchased the TT used from an individual who really sung the praises of that hitch. After the white knuckle, four hour trip home from buying the TT. I switched that hitch out to the Equalizer off our old camper and let the R3 go with it. There no comparison as far as sway control. With the R3, it wiggled like a fish and with the Equalizer, it's steady as a rock.

Don't have any other frame of reference about any other brands, models, etc, but thought I'd throw this in. Good luck and enjoy your camper!
RustyRMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 03:44 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick J View Post
We have tried these may time by actually weighing on our scales. They DO NOT transfer weight. I tow professionally.
I must have a different version of the Andersen than you are referring to.

2020 Rockwood Roo 19
2012 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost
hobienick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 07:50 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Not if it's a Ram 1500!
Sadly I own a 2019 RAM1500 and a Andersen WDH and sadly agree with bikendan. . Maybe it's me but the wind and my 2020 21DS MicroLight Flagstaff don't paly to well. Semis don't seem to bother me!
Old 11-18-2020, 10:14 PM   #34
Multi-Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobienick View Post
I must have a different version of the Andersen than you are referring to.
Guess I have to say the same thing. I have a truck that squats some when I drop the trailer on the ball. Tightening up the chains level the truck right out. We are content with the weight transfer and very happy with the sway control which my wife says is noticeably better than the Husky Centerline from which we switched.
2018 Silverado 2500 HD 6.0L, 4:10 rear
CurtPutnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 05:28 AM   #35

Check Craig’s List for a good used system. I just picked up an R3 Recurve for $150 from a guy that sold his TT in favor of a 5th wheel.
WanderMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 08:36 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtPutnam View Post
Guess I have to say the same thing. I have a truck that squats some when I drop the trailer on the ball. Tightening up the chains level the truck right out. We are content with the weight transfer and very happy with the sway control which my wife says is noticeably better than the Husky Centerline from which we switched.
Those I have seen that have issues with the Andersen had issues with following the included directions on how to set it up. The most common issue I have run into is they set it up for one trailer weight then add a bunch of stuff to the TT and wonder why the rear end of the TV sags. They forgot to reset the WDH.

Find a WDH that fits your budget and needs. If you choose the wrong one for you, sell it and get a different one.

2020 Rockwood Roo 19
2012 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost
hobienick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 09:58 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick J View Post
I have a hot shot business. We deliver a LOT of trailers. We use Blue Ox. Whatever you do, do NOT listen to anybody who says Andersen. They can not transfer weight off the rear axle. We verified his many times on our scales.

Well that statement is not true at all . I will agree the andersen will not transfer as much weight at a standard bar type WDH . but they do transfer weight and in most cases with the right TV they transfer more then enough weight to return the front to stock ride height . they do eliminate sway and control bounce extremely well . Since i've have over 30,000 miles on my Andersen hitch i can say i will never use the bar type . easy hook up, quite . TV and TT move as one down the road no sway. It is a viable alternative for anyone that doesn't need the bar type to make up for not enough truck .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 10:59 AM   #38

Anderson works well.......
guyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 02:27 PM   #39

Does anyone have an opinion on a Husky Center Line TS?
hwfahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 06:27 PM   #40
Multi-Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwfahs View Post
Does anyone have an opinion on a Husky Center Line TS?
We have one - for sale. Replaced with an Andersen.

That said, it is a capable hitch when properly set up. The sawy control works.
2018 Silverado 2500 HD 6.0L, 4:10 rear
CurtPutnam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, select