Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2019, 02:28 PM   #1

New issue with sway

Had a strange experience on our trip this past weekend and trying to figure out exactly what is going on since this is a first for me. I've had my trailer for 3 years now and originally pulled it with an F150 but last year switched to a Chevy 3/4 ton. I re-adjusted by Husky Centerline hitch to my 3/4ton and everything was great. Pulled the trailer several times with no issues. I've actually never had any issues with the trailer swaying at all (1/2 ton or 3/4 ton truck).

While driving down the highway on Friday I felt a slight sway from my trailer for the first time. Not sure what is causing this but hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction. Only change I've made to my truck is I recently bought new tires and went up a size. I switched to Nitto Ridge Grapplers and they are 275/70R18s. This is the only change but don't think this should have made any difference. The trailer is still level when hooked up. Only other thing is we probably ran with less weight in the bed of the truck and in the trailer since this was not a normal trip for us. We were just using the trailer to sleep in since we were parked at a friends ranch who was supplying everything like drinks, food and misc items.

Curious if not having additional weight in the truck bed or trailer would cause my trailer to sway some. Or if I need to adjust the tire pressure on my new truck tires to accommodate for this. Thanks in advance for the response and help with this.
LJS1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 02:32 PM   #2
RV There Yet?

really the only way to get this sorted out is to go weigh your setup. removing weight from the tongue of the trailer can cause sway. you also mentioned swapping tires, sometimes the sidewall of a truck tire is a little softer and might feel like more sway is happening.
Old 09-03-2019, 02:39 PM   #3
Site Team

I bet it's the tires.
What pressure are you running in them?
Old 09-03-2019, 06:19 PM   #4

Could have been any number of things. I wouldn't over think it too much at this point. If it continues then try to figure it out.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 06:51 PM   #5

As posted earlier, if it was a one time thing, not fighting it every mile, every little gust of wind, or another vehicle passing, I wouldn't worry much about it and if you really wanted to, you could play with tire pressure to see what difference it makes, or add a little weight in bed or up front in the TT.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:00 AM   #6

If you have traveled several times with no issues, then suddenly you have an issue, the problem lies with something you changed. You mentioned 2 things, tires, and what was loaded in the bed.

Load up the bed next time as you've had it before. If the problem goes away, from now on, you need to either physically load the bed more, or experiment with trailer loading for more tongue weight.

If the problem does not go away with the loading returned as previous, then you know the problem is the tires. Try adding more air, beyond what the truck sticker calls for, and closer to the max on the sidewall.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:20 AM   #7
Brake is on left

That is exactly what I was going to say @thebrakeman
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:06 PM   #8

Need a little more tongue weight?
Rugman1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugman1952 View Post
Need a little more tongue weight?
That's my thought, too. Depending where you load the trailer up with drinks, coolers, food, clothes, etc. you could be adding a bunch of tongue weight, and not having enough tongue weight is a definite recipe for sway.
Travel Pooch:Sophie the Sato - Cats: Rhody and Hazy
2018:22nights / 2019:31Nights / 2020:18Nights
Mr Towed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sway