Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2018, 08:38 PM   #1

New Propride 3P question

I want to start by saying I know absolutely nothing about weight distribution except for the research I’ve done about wanting to get the front axle weight close to normal axle weight after trailer is hooked up. My wife and I have went to our parents permanent campsites for 25 years so we know a little, but they’ve never actually towed them. Used them more like cottages. We wanted to be safe so we did lots of research, and decided to buy a 2015 Chevy 2500 Gas with 4.10 gears, a propride 3p hitch, and we have a Salem 27DBK that weighs dry about 6500 with a hitch of 700. So with 3P and propane I’m thinking hitch weight at 1000 pounds, well within my trucks capabilities (class v hitch, had to get a 2 inch adapter because the hitch is a 2 1/2 inch). My question is when I put the hitch into the truck it slants downwards just a bit (called Sean at propride and he said this was normal for weight distribution?). My biggest worry is that the trailer would be connected to the propride wrong and defeat the purpose of spending the money! Additionally I went around the block three of four times and when turning once I heard a crack or pop coming from the back (is this normal?). And when cranking up the jacks for the weight distribution I’m not sure how high to go or what the goal here is. Again like I said, I don’t know enough, just trying to be safe. Any info anyone has would be appreciated. I just want it to work right. I can send pictures upon request If that would help.

Thanks,
Brandon
HappilyLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 06:39 AM   #2

You won’t be disappointed with the Pro Pride. I owned a Hensley with my prior trailer and purchased the 3p for this one. I have not had a chance to install it as it is buried in my garage since workers started rehab on my flooded Harvey house two weeks ago.
Rdeejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 07:30 AM   #3

To determine the height of WD jacks you should go to CAT scales weigh just the truck alto get unload front axle weight. Then hitch up get back on scales and try to get close to the original weight as possible. If you can recover at least 50% you should be OK. You can measure the front fender height and repeat the same process if scales are not available.
The popping sound could be your axles (normal). Have someone standing outside when turning to see if it's hitch or axles.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 04:12 PM   #4

Few here use this hitch due to it's cost, so help will come from a select few.

Have you read and re-read the installation manual? I can't answer most of your questions, because I'm not familiar with the hitch. But it seems like these questions should be covered in the instructions.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 04:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post
Few here use this hitch due to it's cost, so help will come from a select few.

Have you read and re-read the installation manual? I can't answer most of your questions, because I'm not familiar with the hitch. But it seems like these questions should be covered in the instructions.
Awe snap. Just checked, over $2500 on their site.
Days camped 2021: 19
Days camped 2020: 18
Days camped 2019: 17
Chief T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 05:44 PM   #6

First welcome to the ProPride/Hensley club...hahaha....once set up properly by following installation manual, the hitch bar should be fairly parallel to the ground, being down a bit is no issue. The creeking noise that you hear is occasionnaly heard after you have hook up and made a few tight turn and then goes away, but make sure you have greased the two zerk fitting for the WDH tension bars. As for cranking the jack, for my unit I bring it up until trailer frame measurement is same distance from ground at front and rear of trailer. This also brings back my front fenders of the truck too within 1/2 inch of original measurement when no trailer is hook up. Here a few pictures of hitch head...

Also have a look at the 8 videos series which answers a lot of questions..

if all fails, Sean is your best source to help you answer all your questions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4041.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	597.8 KB
ID:	166278   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4042.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	518.6 KB
ID:	166279  
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 11:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzie View Post
First welcome to the ProPride/Hensley club...hahaha....once set up properly by following installation manual, the hitch bar should be fairly parallel to the ground, being down a bit is no issue. The creeking noise that you hear is occasionnaly heard after you have hook up and made a few tight turn and then goes away, but make sure you have greased the two zerk fitting for the WDH tension bars. As for cranking the jack, for my unit I bring it up until trailer frame measurement is same distance from ground at front and rear of trailer. This also brings back my front fenders of the truck too within 1/2 inch of original measurement when no trailer is hook up. Here a few pictures of hitch head...

Also have a look at the 8 videos series which answers a lot of questions..

if all fails, Sean is your best source to help you answer all your questions.

Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for help wise. Can you tell me though, lookin at your second picture it looks like the tilt adjustment pin isn’t in the end of the 2 inch bar and perhaps you placed it at the bottom of the receiver end causing the tilt up? Or am I seeing it wrong. The instructions for me have me putting the recover end down like yours, but the tilt adjustment pin at the end of the 2 inch bar. I had called Sean and he confirmed, it just seems to give me a wicked downward angle.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:31 AM   #8

My adjustment pin is at the end of the 2 inch bar but with zero washers. You could always completely remove the pin if necessary to achieve the least of downward tilt?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5158.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	375.3 KB
ID:	166314  
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 07:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzie View Post
My adjustment pin is at the end of the 2 inch bar but with zero washers. You could always completely remove the pin if necessary to achieve the least of downward tilt?

I’m okay with the tilt, it’s not hard to get hitched or anything. Just don’t want to end up causing sway instead of eliminating it
Old 03-27-2018, 07:43 AM   #10

We have a older Hensley. Ours does not have any tilt adjustment. With our old TT , don't pick the new one up for a couple weeks, We use 1200LB bars and they were all the way to the top. My front was about 50LBS light but that was good for me. Our new TT is slightly lighter so I will see what this same set up does. As for the noise, you can add grease to all the connection points. It helps those points move a bit easier and quiets a little. Will still be noise. I tell my wife that is the sound of easy towing and safety! PP or Hensley your trips will be better. Not ever having any other sway control you may never realize how good your TT is towing. Other than pulling 8000lbs, I don't know the TT is back there. You will still get overall wind push on breezy days, especially on the highway, but no sway. Before the Hensley I would drive with both hands on the wheel and always watching for, on the highway, passing tractor trailers. With the Hensley I am as relaxed as with no TT back there. Why? It does not sway. Enjoy your trips!!!
Hensley Hitch
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 06:03 AM   #11

I set mine up I believe using 2 washers. My truck sits rear high just a little bit. So when I put the hitch in it sits level. The torsion bars bring it back after just a tad bit of a squat. You'll be fine if all else is hooked up per the instructions.
Old 03-31-2018, 03:53 PM   #12

The end of your stinger pointing slightly down will increase the amount of weight transfer to the front wheels.
ProPride Hitch
purduepete97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 11:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappilyLost View Post
Additionally I went around the block three of four times and when turning once I heard a crack or pop coming from the back (is this normal?).

Thanks,
Brandon
The crack you heard may be from the tension bar that connects the jacks to the WD bars. As you go around a corner, the tension on the bars changes a bit.

As noted the washers are there to support WD. If you are not getting enough WD to bring the weight on your front axle back to an acceptable range, adding washers to increase the tilt will help. That will not affect the sway prevention capabilities of the hitch.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 03:23 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
The crack you heard may be from the tension bar that connects the jacks to the WD bars. As you go around a corner, the tension on the bars changes a bit.

As noted the washers are there to support WD. If you are not getting enough WD to bring the weight on your front axle back to an acceptable range, adding washers to increase the tilt will help. That will not affect the sway prevention capabilities of the hitch.

I discovered that the noise was actually because I had been bringing the trailer jack bottom level with the distribution bars and when I turned the distribution bars would force themselves onto the jack plate and then off when returning straight

Tags
propride