Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2021, 10:58 AM   #21

Last December I sold my Ram 1500 Laramie and bought a Ram 2500 gasser in the Tradesman package. I lost a lot of bells and whistles, but went from 1439 payload to 3089. We tow a Salem 263BHXL and I was tired of worrying about being overweight and wondering what I could and could not load in the truck.

Likes and dislikes about the truck:
Likes: 1 the quality of the cloth seats--I've always had leather but these are surprisingly nice
2. Quality of radio, it sounds as good to me as the high dollar ones
3. It came with a bedliner and steps--you will almost certainly need steps as it sits up high
4. The overall look IMHO is beautiful
5. The ease with which it pulls my 31.5 foot camper
6 The overall simplicity--realized how much I really didn't need leather seats, moonroof, 12 inch touch screen, navigation, etc. Less electronics to fail.
7. Good storage throughout, even with a front bench seat.
8. Came with 5th wheel prep if I decide to go that route later.

Dislikes:
1. Really drinks the gas
2. Ride is much rougher than I'm used to
3. The tiny 3.5 inch screen--even though it has a backup camera it is just too small--wish I would have been able to find one with an 8 inch screen.
4. It sits up very high--I had to buy a small step stool to get up into the bed.

Overall I'm glad I did it. In the future I think I will go for the Bighorn package. It is just very difficult to find anything in a 2500 besides a Tradesman on a dealer lot. If you load one up with all the options, it's pretty comparable to a Bighorn, though. It's just that a lot of optional features on a Tradesman come standard on a Bighorn.
FrankH35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 01:21 PM   #22

Ram 2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Can you post what trim level and options and price, as I'm looking to buy a Ram 2500 6.4 also.
Or PM me.
A long time ago you helped me with the decision to buy a v nose camper and pull it with a ram 1500. I bought the ram 1500 and pulled Vlite30 WFKSV well over 13,000 miles. Longer story short. The truck went "bye bye" and I've had a new 2020 tradesman 2500 equipped to what I think is perfect and way more than the average "Tradesman" for us folks that camp. Ask me away privately if you'd like. Biggest bonus is the 50 gallon tank! Love my air suspension, love my auto speed with full stop sensor. Love the lane warning and lots more that I have not figured out yet. Oh ram gave me sensors to put in my camper tires to be monitored on my 8" inch info screen ... Another option that came with this truck. I have the 4:10 gearing by the way. Built in sway control. Anyway my 6.4 ram 2500 gasser is my favorite truck ever. Oh it's a 4x4 too. The salesman told me my Tradesman had more in it than the pricier versions ... Bighorn and up. Big deal didn't have the heated leather seats. That does nothing to help with a safe tow.
dannybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 01:38 PM   #23
dm6

Good point on the Tradesman. That was the only trim level on lots that had a gas engine and actually even those were hard to find but I found a couple of Power Wagon's to test drive just to try out the engine. It does seems like you can get almost any option on any trim level as well so they are pretty customizable. I was thinking the same thing originally about he 12" screen that it was just something else that could go wrong, but after playing with it a little bit, I couldn't resist I went back and forth between the Laramie and Big Horn and I actually think I liked the cloth seats better than the Laramie leather so I went with that. Plus with the options I chose, a comparable equipped Laramie was about $4k more and the only major difference was the seats. If you have the patience to wait, this is definitely the way to go so you can get it exactly how you want!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankH35 View Post
Last December I sold my Ram 1500 Laramie and bought a Ram 2500 gasser in the Tradesman package. I lost a lot of bells and whistles, but went from 1439 payload to 3089. We tow a Salem 263BHXL and I was tired of worrying about being overweight and wondering what I could and could not load in the truck.

Likes: 1 the quality of the cloth seats--I've always had leather but these are surprisingly nice
3. It came with a bedliner and steps--you will almost certainly need steps as it sits up high
6 The overall simplicity--realized how much I really didn't need leather seats, moonroof, 12 inch touch screen, navigation, etc. Less electronics to fail.

Dislikes:
1. Really drinks the gas
3. The tiny 3.5 inch screen--even though it has a backup camera it is just too small--wish I would have been able to find one with an 8 inch screen.
4. It sits up very high--I had to buy a small step stool to get up into the bed.

Overall I'm glad I did it. In the future I think I will go for the Bighorn package. It is just very difficult to find anything in a 2500 besides a Tradesman on a dealer lot. If you load one up with all the options, it's pretty comparable to a Bighorn, though. It's just that a lot of optional features on a Tradesman come standard on a Bighorn.
dm6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 01:50 PM   #24

Paid $48,500 for this very well equipped Tradesman. Pearl black with tinted windows, it looks like a ... Well I let you all decide in what the truck looks like. What I like is the money I didn't spend for stuff I did not need.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210507-133710.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	253841  
dannybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 06:34 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm6 View Post
That is my thinking too with the room to grow. Especially if I ever want to put a topper on it like you did. What do those weigh? A couple hundred pounds or so? That would cut into the payload of a half ton even more. Nice looking truck you have.
Sorry, off the top of my head I don't remember the weight, a couple hundred sounds about right. It smoothed out the stiff "Off Road" suspension nicely though. I didn't notice much of a gas mileage price for it either (I monitor it). On the roads I travel I only get about 10 mpg towing the trailer.

*It enables me to transport a lot of my astronomy and lawn equipment w/o having to break them down 100%.
*It gives a little bit more protection to the 2109S front window as well, (Of course nothing kicked up by the tires, maybe the mud flaps will help with that).
*Aesthetically and functionally it lines up nice with the trailer as well, breaking up the wind for the billboard I'm pulling down the road, and diverts most of the bugs over the top
*I can carry a lot more in the back that I use to have to carry in the trailer (and step/trip over while "Stopping for the night").
*Lost the ability to use it as a truck, ie. putting a load of top soil, mulch, etc. into it. But, I'm getting to the point (Age, bad back, motivation), to pay someone else to do that.
*Had to get a small step stool/ladder to easily get in/out of the back. Using a cord to pull the rear window down to close/lock.

With what I'm towing I haven't worried about weight. Until I retire we'll mostly boondock on property we own in North Central PA. We installed septic but no well, so we usually have a full FW tank with an additional ~25gals in jugs in the truck bed.
GodsCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 08:51 PM   #26

Quote:

Dislikes:
1. Really drinks the gas

https://www.infotainment.com/product...11936644694052
Old 05-08-2021, 07:01 PM   #27

Congrats.

I ordered a very similar truck on April 10th. Interested to see how long it takes to come.
jgroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 10:35 AM   #28
dm6

My dad's trucks have always had toppers and most of the time it was fine when I would need to borrow it but it was inconvenient if I would want some dirt or gravel and have to shovel it in by hand. I guess at least now I can see how it works without one for a while and maybe eventually get one if I want it to serve more like a SUV with that covered cargo area. I wish they were more convenient to remove.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodsCountry View Post
Sorry, off the top of my head I don't remember the weight, a couple hundred sounds about right. It smoothed out the stiff "Off Road" suspension nicely though. I didn't notice much of a gas mileage price for it either (I monitor it). On the roads I travel I only get about 10 mpg towing the trailer.

*It enables me to transport a lot of my astronomy and lawn equipment w/o having to break them down 100%.
*It gives a little bit more protection to the 2109S front window as well, (Of course nothing kicked up by the tires, maybe the mud flaps will help with that).
*Aesthetically and functionally it lines up nice with the trailer as well, breaking up the wind for the billboard I'm pulling down the road, and diverts most of the bugs over the top
*I can carry a lot more in the back that I use to have to carry in the trailer (and step/trip over while "Stopping for the night").
*Lost the ability to use it as a truck, ie. putting a load of top soil, mulch, etc. into it. But, I'm getting to the point (Age, bad back, motivation), to pay someone else to do that.
*Had to get a small step stool/ladder to easily get in/out of the back. Using a cord to pull the rear window down to close/lock.

With what I'm towing I haven't worried about weight. Until I retire we'll mostly boondock on property we own in North Central PA. We installed septic but no well, so we usually have a full FW tank with an additional ~25gals in jugs in the truck bed.
Old 05-09-2021, 11:01 AM   #29
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Ok...

Big Horn Crew cab short box with the 6.4
4.10 rear end
Anti spin differential
Night Edition
Level B Group
Tech Package
Off road Package
Bed utility group
Trailer TPMS

That is the main stuff. $53k. around 12% under MSRP

Feel free to PM me if you have more questions.

Pretty much ordered the same truck with a couple exceptions.
Air suspension
3:73 gearing
Bench seats
Spray in bed liner LED ed lighting
220 Amp Alternator
Power folding trailer mirrors
Rear third light camera

8.4 inch display

Only down side I do miss the tow haul mode in the sift lever. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 11:44 AM   #30
dm6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgroff View Post
Congrats.

I ordered a very similar truck on April 10th. Interested to see how long it takes to come.
Congrats to you too. Let me know when you hear something about the delivery!
Old 05-09-2021, 01:02 PM   #31

Quote:
Ok...

Big Horn Crew cab short box with the 6.4
4.10 rear end
Anti spin differential
Night Edition
Level B Group
Tech Package
Off road Package
Bed utility group
Trailer TPMS

That is the main stuff. $53k. around 12% under MSRP

Feel free to PM me if you have more questions.
Congrats on the new truck!

My new Ram will be here next week.

Ram 2500 crew cab long box:

Snow chief group: anti-spin dif/instrument switches/clearance lamps/18inch on/off road wheels tires/220amp alt/skid plate

Chrome appearance group: bumpers/grill/rims

Bed utility group: led bed lights/deployable step/spray in bed liner

Tow hooks/4.10 gears/rubber floor mats/pwr trailer mirrors/chrome wheel to wheel side steps/rear wheel liners/50 gal tank/U-connect 4 with 8.4 inch display/brake controller.

Really pumped about the 50 gal tank and vinyl floor.

I nearly bought a Ram last time. The truck I went to buy sold while I was in route to do the deed. I didn't care for the transmission in that truck but that won't be an issue with the new ZF 8 speed.
Old 05-09-2021, 06:29 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigH View Post

Really pumped about the 50 gal tank and vinyl floor.
50 gal. Wowzers. Will take 2 CC authorizations to fill it. Mine is 35, and when fuel prices were high, I couldn't fill it for $100..... Love the 600mi range though (empty....).

I want, but can't justify the aftermarket 74gal...
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 04:15 PM   #33

Quote:
Congrats to you too. Let me know when you hear something about the delivery!

For sure. You too. I don’t have high expectations. It’s been a month and It’s not serialized yet.
jgroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 06:34 PM   #34
GaryW

Me too

Just traded my 2019 Tundra for a RAM 2500 gasser, very similar to yours. My trailer tongue wt was 200 pounds over the Tundra max rating. Did not want any issues, so made the move. I absolutely love the Tundra, but am sure I will like the RAM as well. Delivery date near the end of May. Will let you know.
Old 05-10-2021, 09:11 PM   #35

Quote:

Dislikes:
1. Really drinks the gas

Got the same truck in December as well minus the 5th wheel prep. I agree with your likes and dislikes,spot on. I'm not a bells and whistles guy so the tradesman is perfect for me. Only two things I wish it had were the parking sensors, this has the back up camera, but doesn't beep if you're gonna hit something, and the radio controls on the steering wheel. Haven't towed the Avenger 27dbs with it yet though but I imagine it'll be a huge difference compared to my old 1500. Got a great deal too, stickered at 48k, got it for 40k. Getting about 13 mpg, though I don't do much highway driving. Can't imagine what it'll be when towing lol.
Bryan1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 09:14 PM   #36

I run a Ram 2500 Crew Cab, 6.4 Hemi, AT, tow package and 373 gears pulling a 30' toy hauler. Previously pulled it with a 1500 w/5.7 Hemi, tow package.
The 1500 did a good job but the 2500 provides a far more stable platform so very pleased with the 2500 upgrade....although the 5.7 did provide slightly better MPG.
The 2500 has the Rambox Option that is totally awesome!!! Great place to carry the tool kit, tow strap, hyd. jack, flares, etc. so no more 'stuff' floating around in the truck cab. IMO the Rambox option is one of the best options for the Ram.
I wasnted to secure the pikup bed so installed a BAK Revolver roll up bed cover - metal with black viynal overlay - can't cut thru it with a knife and a 300 lb person can stand on it. Great bed cover for a totally secure load in bed like generator, extra fuel, etc.
Dakota 1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 10:45 PM   #37

Yea, it's hard climbing into the bed. I got one of these. It swings out of the way when not needed, and extends, so it can still be used when the tailgate is down.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/13348611673...MaAuU_EALw_wcB

I have been very happy with my 2016 2500.

2016 RAM 2500 Cummins SLT Lone Star 4X4 LB
2016 Windjammer 3029W Platinum
I'm not an expert. But I play one on the internet.
You live & learn or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 10:58 PM   #38

I put one of these on my Ram 2500 for ease of getting into and out of the truck bed.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0041FXOIA...osi&th=1&psc=1

does a fine job!

And it came with those running bars under the doors so easier to get into our of the cab...like this: https://www.carid.com/2014-dodge-ram...parentsubmodel[]=SUBMODEL|Crew+Cab
Dakota 1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 06:10 AM   #39

i have the 2019 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.4/3.73 .. 23,000 miles on it .. tow a 2020 Adrenaline 27KB ..... towing 10mpg (in PA) around town 15mpg country driving 17mpg ... see attached build sheet and window sticker (11% below sticker) .. love this trk
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190720_073732_resized.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	648.5 KB
ID:	254199   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190620_072656_resized.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	302.7 KB
ID:	254200  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2019 ram 2500 my trk BuildSheetServlet.pdf (9.5 KB, 20 views)
File Type: pdf ram 2500 window sticker.pdf (87.2 KB, 15 views)
2018 Passport Ultra Lite Grand Touring 2520rl
2010 Passport Ultra Lite Grand Touring 195rb
2019 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.4L Hemi 5th whl prep
slimchance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 01:21 PM   #40
dm6

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimchance View Post
i have the 2019 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.4/3.73 .. 23,000 miles on it .. tow a 2020 Adrenaline 27KB ..... towing 10mpg (in PA) around town 15mpg country driving 17mpg ... see attached build sheet and window sticker (11% below sticker) .. love this trk
Nice looking truck and great price. I would be thrilled with that kind of unloaded MPG. Mine will probably be a little worse with the 4.10s, but hopefully it is only within 1 or so of that. I drive pretty easily anyways and don't go much over 70 so that should help.

Tags
500, ram