Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2019, 08:14 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
frank4711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: North Port Florida
Posts: 2,023
New Tires for the Ram 1/2 ton

After some research and advice and me thinking that E rated would be overkill for the 1/2 ton the OEM 275 55R20 XL tires will be replaced tomorrow with MICHELIN
DEFENDER LTX M/S LT265/60R20 121/118R E rated. I know it won't be enough to get JohnD10 to ride with me but I am trying.... My friends brother will buy the OEM tires from the Ram to cover some of the cost. Took the rig out 6 times last 2 weeks and I am convinced the tires are the soft/weak spot ... We head out Thursday afternoon first camping trip... less than a hour to my daughter's Campground.. as always appreciate the help from the forum... Thanks Frank
__________________

__________________
Frank & Cindy---S Class Solitude 2930RL (SOB)---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 14 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 09:17 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 152
Good luck Frank! Let us know how it goes!
__________________

spydunks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 09:57 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 255
Following closely. Replacing tires on my Ram soon before 4500 mile trip with my 233s in July. Mine are 17 inch rims though.
My17Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 12:53 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
VernDiesel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 233
I have a set of those on my Ram 1500 now. I have run 275/60/20 P series, 275/55/20 XL loads and the 265/60/20 E loads. Overall I like the 55 series XL loads the best but have noticed some difference when at around 8k on the truck IE practically speaking maxed out. I transport Forrest River TTs and also have a GN & Andersen 5th wheel adapter.

I checked out your trailer on FR's site. Practically speaking that is a little too much trailer for your truck but may work ok locally in the flats with reasonable speed. I have not read your posts on it. Do you have axle to frame bags?

I did transport a 37" ball to bumper 9,100 pound 3 slide Wildcat Maxx from the Dallas OR plant to the LA area. Slip was 3,300 on the steers 4,440 on the drive and 15,800 CVWR as I had tools hitches full size spare etc in the bed. Not sure about your 5th gen but the 4th gen max CVWR is 15,950 so getting up there.

Went down the 5 so up and over 5 & 6% grades past Mt Shasta in north Cali and up the grapevine into the LA area. No handling or sway or stopping issues. No issues controlling speed coming down the grades but I have the Ecodiesel with tune which has the addition of an exhaust brake that works with the factory transmission brake and tow haul. Truck also had optional TBC trailer brake controller so I could easily control or keep the same down hill speed without even using the truck service or foot brakes to control speed.

Let us know of your experiences questions and decisions. I did post awhile back of a guy who double tows a 5er and small boat on here with pics behind his Ecodiesel. But If memory serves me his CVWR was not any more than yours and his pin weight less.
__________________

The answer to what can my 1/2 ton tow; Generically whatever TT has a GVWR less than TVís max tow rating. Specifically is found on CAT scale via weight distribution with TV TT & WDH. Best motor & gearing all 5 Mfgs within specs IE safe & stable normally to 8k but passengers & bedload reduce this. RAM 1500 ED max tow 9,200, max axle ratings 3,900, max 09-18 CVWR 15,950, axle weights me & gear 3,240 steer 2,560 drive
VernDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 04:54 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Port Charlotte Fl/Hinsdale Ma
Posts: 4,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank4711 View Post
After some research and advice and me thinking that E rated would be overkill for the 1/2 ton the OEM 275 55R20 XL tires will be replaced tomorrow with MICHELIN
DEFENDER LTX M/S LT265/60R20 121/118R E rated. I know it won't be enough to get JohnD10 to ride with me but I am trying.... My friends brother will buy the OEM tires from the Ram to cover some of the cost. Took the rig out 6 times last 2 weeks and I am convinced the tires are the soft/weak spot ... We head out Thursday afternoon first camping trip... less than a hour to my daughter's Campground.. as always appreciate the help from the forum... Thanks Frank
Howdy neighbor. Right down the street in Port Charlotte. That looks like a lot of trailer for a 1/2 ton. Not into towing. Mine is on a season site in MA. I just never see much support on this site for 1/2 ton towing a 5th wheel. It's good for Florida flat country buy hill climbing and stopping may be problematic. Put some good rubbor on the trailer while your at it. OEM trailer tires are junk.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 05:43 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
frank4711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: North Port Florida
Posts: 2,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by VernDiesel View Post
I have a set of those on my Ram 1500 now. I have run 275/60/20 P series, 275/55/20 XL loads and the 265/60/20 E loads. Overall I like the 55 series XL loads the best but have noticed some difference when at around 8k on the truck IE practically speaking maxed out. I transport Forrest River TTs and also have a GN & Andersen 5th wheel adapter.

I checked out your trailer on FR's site. Practically speaking that is a little too much trailer for your truck but may work ok locally in the flats with reasonable speed. I have not read your posts on it. Do you have axle to frame bags?

I did transport a 37" ball to bumper 9,100 pound 3 slide Wildcat Maxx from the Dallas OR plant to the LA area. Slip was 3,300 on the steers 4,440 on the drive and 15,800 CVWR as I had tools hitches full size spare etc in the bed. Not sure about your 5th gen but the 4th gen max CVWR is 15,950 so getting up there.

Went down the 5 so up and over 5 & 6% grades past Mt Shasta in north Cali and up the grapevine into the LA area. No handling or sway or stopping issues. No issues controlling speed coming down the grades but I have the Ecodiesel with tune which has the addition of an exhaust brake that works with the factory transmission brake and tow haul. Truck also had optional TBC trailer brake controller so I could easily control or keep the same down hill speed without even using the truck service or foot brakes to control speed.

Let us know of your experiences questions and decisions. I did post awhile back of a guy who double tows a 5er and small boat on here with pics behind his Ecodiesel. But If memory serves me his CVWR was not any more than yours and his pin weight less.
Vern Thanks .... Truck pulls straight and stops great ... I will be 90% FL/GA travels .... the 2019 RAM has been upgraded 4 inch longer wheel base, larger brakes, 6 lug wheels and stronger suspension ... no bags yet squat is little over 2 inches my brother in-law put some on his 2014 RAM short bed and he says they are great (Airlift 1000HD) I will probably put some on... I have been towing for 25 years, 28 ft 8,000 lb lawn trailer with Ford F 250 ... there is a bias for any towing using a 1/2 ton and I am OK with that... I have been out with the rig 6 times last 2 weeks and the tires are the weak spot on this set up .... first trip tomorrow 55 minute ride to my daughters, she works/lives at a campground , most of our trips will be under 3 hours...
__________________
Frank & Cindy---S Class Solitude 2930RL (SOB)---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 14 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 06:10 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
MilCop4523's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: In a big child free home - except for me
Posts: 1,603
I put the same tires but in 18's on My 16 Ecoboost and they are now on my 18 F250
10 ply's no roll with my 5ver.


the original tires and rims shown on the second image are replaced. saving them for trade in with 6 thousand miles on them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	16 and 18.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	346.0 KB
ID:	201363   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180829_185125.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	328.6 KB
ID:	201364  
__________________
TV 2018 Ford F250, hauling a 2018 KZ 331 TH 12 Sportster 5th wheel, packing a 2015 CF MOTO 800 U-Force SXS
MilCop4523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 12:18 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
VernDiesel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 233
Frank I believe at only 3" ie at less than an inch of travel you are at the factory bump stops on the 5th gen. Steve Smith owner of Timber Grove air solutions could tell you off the top of his head. I have been using axle to frame air bags for 5 years 540k miles transporting TTs & boats on my 4th gen Ecodiesel.

The axle to frame setups support control & dampen the rear suspension so that it is road compliant over grooved and pot holed curves as well as comfortable riding. Used the cheap thin plasticky in coil bags with cheap plastic lines and fittings that leak on two vehicles in the past. Having experienced the difference of a large heavy rubber low 15 to 20 psi bags dampened controlled ride vs the 30 to 40 psi bouncy ride of the in coil bags I will never go back. Not for $100 vs $360. Brass fittings better lines they don't leak nor pop out.

Honestly this will make a bigger difference for you than the tire upgrade. BTW you don't need an expensive on board compressor system. A cheap mini compressor from Harbor Freight or WM that you stow under your seat will lift it quickly and easily as you are only pumping in from say 5 psi unloaded to 20 psi with trailer. Make sure you have enough cord or hose to reach where you put your air valve. Lots of people put it behind the fuel fill door which is both clean looking and more convenient than by the license plate when you have a trailer. Also most truck stops still have free air and plenty of room to maneuver.

https://timbergroveenterprises.com/2019-ram-1500
__________________

The answer to what can my 1/2 ton tow; Generically whatever TT has a GVWR less than TVís max tow rating. Specifically is found on CAT scale via weight distribution with TV TT & WDH. Best motor & gearing all 5 Mfgs within specs IE safe & stable normally to 8k but passengers & bedload reduce this. RAM 1500 ED max tow 9,200, max axle ratings 3,900, max 09-18 CVWR 15,950, axle weights me & gear 3,240 steer 2,560 drive
VernDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 12:27 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Saint Louis
Posts: 1,449
not getting into the half ton vs 3/4 ton debate, but I replaced my Ram OEM tires with the MICHELIN DEFENDER LTX tires. I have been very happy with the upgrade.



My 5th wheel is 29ft and loaded under 9500 lbs
__________________
2015 Ram 2500 4x4 6.4l with 2015 Sandpiper 25RLS
Wife, myself and 2 furry kids
Mountndream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 12:59 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
MilCop4523's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: In a big child free home - except for me
Posts: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountndream View Post
not getting into the half ton vs 3/4 ton debate
neither was I. my Ecoboost with the 10 plys hauled well and I had the Airlift 5000 airbags installed as well for less dipping. my 5th wheel toy hauler loaded with the SXS is just over 11,000 lbs.


if you find that you still need more control get a set of Airlit Load lifter 5000's for the RAM

amazing rebound control
__________________
TV 2018 Ford F250, hauling a 2018 KZ 331 TH 12 Sportster 5th wheel, packing a 2015 CF MOTO 800 U-Force SXS
MilCop4523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 01:12 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Blackrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SE Arizona's Gila Vally
Posts: 1,226
I switched to E rated tires on my 16' Ram 1500 with less than 1500 miles on the original factory p rags. Added sir bags in the coils and headed for Alaska. Right now I am running Hercules LT265/70R17 on it.
__________________
2016 RAM 1500 - 2016 Keystone Laredo 265SRK
The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 02:27 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Lloydg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 698
Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
I am replacing my 2013 F250 with 42K mile with MICHELIN DEFENDER LTX tires. Still lots of tread, but since my truck is used primarily for towing, I think my tries are quickly aging out and don't want an issue down the road while towing.
__________________

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 03:45 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
RangeMaggotBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Somewhere in the Ozarks...
Posts: 873
I might have missed it, but I'm not sure what OEM tires comes with yours, but mine came with Firestone Trans Force (I think that's what they were called) and talk about pieces of crap! I literally didn't get 10K out of mine before I replaced them. Can't go wrong with Michelins!
__________________
2015 Forest River Rockwood Signature Series Ultra Lite 8289WS w/Diamond pkg.
2014 RAM CTD 6.7 Tradesman 4WD Auto Crew Cab Long Bed
Honda eu2000i generators
And new to our family: Daisy May, the Golden Doodle wonderdog!
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 05:08 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Lloydg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 698
Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
My 2013 F250 came with Continentals. Hoping that Michelins give me a softer ride.
__________________

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 07:22 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
frank4711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: North Port Florida
Posts: 2,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangeMaggotBob View Post
I might have missed it, but I'm not sure what OEM tires comes with yours, but mine came with Firestone Trans Force (I think that's what they were called) and talk about pieces of crap! I literally didn't get 10K out of mine before I replaced them. Can't go wrong with Michelins!
These were my OEM NEXEN
ROADIAN HTX RH5
Highway All-Season
Size: 275/55R20 113T
Serv. Desc: 113T good tire not best for towing....
__________________
Frank & Cindy---S Class Solitude 2930RL (SOB)---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 14 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 07:44 PM   #16
Member
 
4Daughters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: 40 miles NE of Atlanta, Ga
Posts: 68
I put Cooper Discoverer AT3 on my 1500. I was looking for a stronger sidewall for towing. It did not hurt that they have 60,000 mile treadlife. (Will see how close we can get)
So far they ride nicely.
__________________
4Daughters
40 miles NE of Atlanta, Ga
2017 Flagstaff Classic Super Lite 831bhds
2016 Chevy Silverado 1500 max tow package
4Daughters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 07:50 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 152
4Daughters love the screen name!
spydunks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 07:51 PM   #18
Member
 
4Daughters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: 40 miles NE of Atlanta, Ga
Posts: 68
LOL....Not sure how we afford a travel trailer
__________________
4Daughters
40 miles NE of Atlanta, Ga
2017 Flagstaff Classic Super Lite 831bhds
2016 Chevy Silverado 1500 max tow package
4Daughters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 08:37 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
frank4711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: North Port Florida
Posts: 2,023
Done ... first impression very good ... went down I-75 nice ride very quiet set psi at 80 in rear 60 in front ... pushed thru some corners and it is amazing the lack of side to side pitch ... will find out more tomorrow when we hook-up and head out for a long weekend kinda wish we had a little longer ride... Thanks for the help and ideas with a special shout out to my 3/4 and one ton pullers if not for ya'll I would forget I pull with a 1/2 ton
__________________
Frank & Cindy---S Class Solitude 2930RL (SOB)---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 14 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 08:45 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
rsdata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Northern KY
Posts: 3,639
I am approaching 45,000 miles with my Michelin LTX Defender tires... still have excellent tread and they are very quiet on the hiway... expect a good 75K miles

I also have the 20" size on my '14 RAM 1500

best price I found was Costco, by $100 when they go on sale there, which seems like about every 6-8 weeks...

free rotation/balance every 6K miles and free road hazard insurance, which I always refuse, except when it is free...
__________________

__________________
ďToo much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.Ē Ė Mark Twain



2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tire, tires

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:06 AM.


×